Windows 10: External backup drive not recognised in window rescue environment

Discus and support External backup drive not recognised in window rescue environment in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm hoping someone can help. I am using macrium reflect (the free version). They do not allow free version users in their support forum. I use Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimminy, Jul 25, 2020.

1. jimminy Win User

External backup drive not recognised in window rescue environment

I'm hoping someone can help. I am using macrium reflect (the free version). They do not allow free version users in their support forum.

I use Win 10 pro 2004.
    Here's the weird problem:

I have 3 external drives (in enclosures with jmicron chipsets), which work perfectly in all situations.
    But I also have this new USB/SATA adapter which is a problem. The adapter works fine in a normally booted windows session. BUT, If I boot the macrium rescue flash drive (it's winRE I believe), it does not see this adapter (used with any HDD or SSD attached). It DOES see it if plugged into USB 2 ports, but not USB 3 ports.

This adapter is a "Qicent" brand. It physically appears similar to Orico 20UTS

HWINFO shows this:
    Device Manufacturer: Norelsys
    Product Name: NS106X

Again, it works perfectly in windows normally booted, but not with the macrium Winre rescue environment.

I would really appreciate anyone's help with this.

:)

jimminy, Jul 25, 2020
  2. scopio Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Worked out what the problem was with my external drive notbeing recognised. I looked under Device Manager > USB Controllers and there itwas listed with an exclamation mark with the error saying that "the driverfor this device is in memory" or words to that effect. I right clicked thecorresponding Mass Storage device and uninstalled it and then unplugged theexternal drive. I rebooted my desktop and plugged the external drive in againand it reinstalled its driver again and I am now able to use the external driveagain. External backup drive not recognised in window rescue environment :)

scopio, Jul 25, 2020
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jul 25, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

HELP!!! External Drive issues!!

you're in luck, the guy with way too much external storage is here to the rescue!

step 1: try with a different USB cable

step 2: take the drive out of the enclosure and connect it internally to your PC

quite likely the cable or enclosure has died. if you're re-initialising the disk you might actually be erasing it... so dont do that.

Mussels, Jul 25, 2020
Thema:

1. External backup drive not recognised in window rescue environment - Similar Threads - External backup drive

2. External Drive not recognised Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Drive not recognised Windows 11: Hi Guys, newbie on here looking for help as this is driving me mad. I use external hard drives in an enclosure, they are all identical but I have one that just won't work. When in the enclosure the light flashes and it can be heard working away however it just doesn't show...
  3. External Drive not recognised Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Drive not recognised Windows 11: Hi Guys, newbie on here looking for help as this is driving me mad. I use external hard drives in an enclosure, they are all identical but I have one that just won't work. When in the enclosure the light flashes and it can be heard working away however it just doesn't show...
  4. external drives not recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external drives not recognised: Hi all. Following a fresh install of windows 10 home on my Asus notebook L200E yes, I know it's memory is limited but you can't add more as the memory in this type of device is located on chips on the motherboard, not a proper SSD etc. Since the install I have had to overcome...
  5. external hard drives not recognised

external hard drives not recognised: A problem has recently shown up. I have a lot of data archived on Seagate external hard drives. Recently, every single one has failed to show up and be accessible in This PC. They appear in Device Manager where they are each described as "Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk...
  6. External hard drive not recognised

External hard drive not recognised: Hi Purchased a new H-D for my Dell A Seagate Barrcuda. Did a clean install to the new drive. at the same time I put the old drive in a brand new external enclosure with the intention of copying the files over. The "new" installation cannot access the USB drive, even though...
  7. External backup drive not recognised in Macrium rescue environment

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    External backup drive not recognised in Macrium rescue environment: I'm hoping someone can help. I am using macrium reflect (the free version, ver 7.2 build 4971), which I like except for some problems. Unfortunately Macrium does not allow help for free version users in their support forum. so I posted here on 10forums last week, before I...
  8. External Drive won't be Recognised

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Drive won't be Recognised: My external drive is not being recognised in File Explorer and in Disk Management. The disk gets power from the computer and in the Device Manager the disk can be seen connected....
  9. External Hard Drive not recognised

External Hard Drive not recognised: I have a brand new micrsoft surface and I cannot for the life of me get it to recognise my external hard drive. I read a similar post which required an input of a drive letter which seemed like what i needed to do, however i cannot click on the "change drive letter and...
  10. Macrium Rescue Drive and Backup in same Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Rescue Drive and Backup in same Thumb Drive: I want to have Macrium Rescue and windows backup in one pendrive. If I create two partition in my pendrive, first for rescue and other for keeping backup, is it possible. Because windows only recognize the first primary partition of the pendrive. Sorry found the answer in...