Windows 10: External Bootloader & Bitlocker

Discus and support External Bootloader & Bitlocker in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello I'm trying to create the following windows 10 set up on a pc: - two windows 10 installations - one installation is bitlocker encrypted also the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by dixel0, Mar 20, 2021.

1. dixel0 Win User

External Bootloader & Bitlocker

Hello I'm trying to create the following windows 10 set up on a pc:

[COLOR=rgba26, 26, 27, 1]- two windows 10 installations[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba26, 26, 27, 1]- one installation is bitlocker encrypted also the windows 10 system reserved partitions should be if possible[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba26, 26, 27, 1]- the other installation is clear[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba26, 26, 27, 1]- the on disk bootloader should boot only the clear installation[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba26, 26, 27, 1]- an external usb bootloader should boot the encrypted os[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba26, 26, 27, 1]How is it possible to set up such installation or achieve something similiar?[/COLOR]

:)

dixel0, Mar 20, 2021

2. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Mar 20, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Remove BitLocker for external drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you want to disable BitLocker for the external hard drive. However, we would like to know if you are able to access data from the external hard drive.

In the meantime, you may refer the steps mentioned below to disable BitLocker:

1. Type Command Prompt in the search bar on the
      Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the Command Prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Type manage-bde –off X: and hit
      Enter
      . (Replace X with the drive letter of the external hard drive)

Meanwhile, you may also post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker to address your query.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 20, 2021
  4. External Bootloader & Bitlocker

Bitlocker on multiple external drives

Hi Myron,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with using bitlocker on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if bitlocker settings is incorrect.

I suggest you to try decrypting the volume for the multiple external drives and then reset the bitlocker for the multiple drives.

Refer to the below Microsoft Help Article.

Note: The step provided in the below link is also applicable in Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...er-Drive-Encryption-and-decrypting-the-volume

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Mar 20, 2021
Thema:

External Bootloader & Bitlocker

1. External Bootloader & Bitlocker - Similar Threads - External Bootloader Bitlocker

2. External HD Bitlocker partition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HD Bitlocker partition.: I have an external hard drive with 2 partitions. One is protected with Bitlocker. Every time I connect the hard drive to a computer there information of the locked partition appears, hides it self behind other windows and I have to look for it an press the particular OK key...
  3. bootloader repair

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    bootloader repair: i have problem with windows bootloader since i installed it on external linux drive. I want to run the startup repair tool, but I need to sign in to my Microsoft account to proceed. when he enters his password, he tells me that it is incorrect, and it is correct because I can...
  4. Bootloader

in Windows 10 Support
    Bootloader: Hello I tried to create a USB external SSD portable Ubuntu. I followed the online instructions so as not to affect my bootloader. Guess what, it affected my bootloader . Without doing a clean install is there a way to restore the bootloader which is relatively...
  5. BITLOCKER EXTERNAL HD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BITLOCKER EXTERNAL HD: just spent $1000 restoring an old E-HD that turns out to actually be locked by bitlocker I have no memory of setting this god aweful program up on an old computer 10 years ago. Now there's no way to access this drive even after rescuing the data - there is no Password or...
  6. Clover Bootloader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clover Bootloader: Hiya, I am going to install clover bootloader whilst clean installing windows 10 for BIOS UEFI (but the BIOS UEFI are 32-Bit). So after I have set up the partitions (shift + F10 before installing windows) from command prompt - please note the automatic set up of partitions...
  7. Bitlocker for External Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker for External Drive: Sorry I tried to search but couldn't find the answer. I have 4TB external hard disk (3TB Filled) and I am thinking of enabling bitlocker on it. Would it be possible to suspend the encryption process and disconnect the drive to continue on another day? Previously while...
  8. BitLocker external raid

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker external raid: BitLocker will not encrypt an external RAID 1 array. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-external-raid/3f704006-2dd9-4997-a247-88ccd30a73cb"
  9. Metro Bootloader

Metro Bootloader: I just did a dual boot with windows 10 and windows 7 and all I get is the black and white bootloader. Before I partitioned my drive and installed windows 7 I had the Metro bootloader with my windows 10 and Macrium Reflect but after installing windows 7 on the new partition...
  10. Bootloader Issue?

Bootloader Issue?: I'm not really sure which category this would go under, but here's my issue. I got a PC that has Windows 10 preinstalled on it and I wanted to run windows 7. I created a different partition then installed Windows 7. All the drivers worked and got installed. I wanted the...