Windows 10: External CD Drive not Showing Up

Discus and support External CD Drive not Showing Up in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello! I have an external CD drive but it will not show up anywhere on my computer. It can turn on and eject, and it is visible on other computers,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Stevenir, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Stevenir Win User

External CD Drive not Showing Up

Hello!

I have an external CD drive but it will not show up anywhere on my computer. It can turn on and eject, and it is visible on other computers, but on my <1 year old laptop, I can't find it in "This PC", "Disc Management", "Device Manager", or anywhere else.

Regarding drivers: the drive's manufacturer's website has no downloadable drivers, and the "Device Manager" section on my computer does not even have a section for CD/DVD drives for me to update the drivers or reinstall the drivers, even after I show hidden devices. There is also no section for IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

I did some registry stuff that I found on various help pages, with some Upper and Lower Filters and some command line prompts. It didn't work, and I didn't play around with it too much since I'm not too much of an expert and I don't want to destroy my computer.

In what is probably related, I can't see my phone when I plug it in, despite the fact that it charges fine. It also does not appear in device manager.

Anyway, this seems to be a pretty common problem, but I've tried pretty much every solution I can find.

Hoping someone here can help! Thanks External CD Drive not Showing Up :D

:)

Stevenir, Jan 28, 2021

2. Copy Music From External CD drive onto computer , then onto a flash drive

Thank you for the information.

If that's the case, we suggest uninstalling your external CD driver thru device manager. Here's how:

• Unplug your external CD drive.
    • Go to Device Manager > Locate your external CD drive > Right-click and select
      Properties > Look for the
      Driver tab > Select Uninstall Device
    • Restart your device.
    • Plug-in your external drive.
    • Check if you'll be able to copy your music files.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Justine Pel, Jan 28, 2021
  3. Windows 10 and External DVD drive

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

I would suggest you to open the device manager and check if the drive shows up in device manager.

Follow the steps given below:

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run command.

2. Type devmgmt.msc and press enter to open device manager.

3. Expand DVD/CD-Rom drives and check if the external DVD drive is listed.

4. If so, right click on it and uninstall it.

5. Restart the computer.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Jan 28, 2021
  4. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jan 28, 2021
Thema:

1. External CD Drive not Showing Up - Similar Threads - External Drive Showing

2. External CD drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External CD drive: I am currently trying to rip a CD onto a tablet using an external CD drive. The drive is connected, but Windows Media Player does not recognise it. What could the problem be?...
  3. External Drive not showing up.

External Drive not showing up.: My external drive is not showing up in file explorer or diskmanagement. However it shows in Device Manager/Diskdrives. When I click on the properties "This device is working properly." but on volumes tab nothing shows in disk information....
  4. Dvd / Cd drive not showing up

Dvd / Cd drive not showing up: Hi all i cannot find my cd drive in This PC from file explorer It is neither in device manager nor in disk management i did the registry key solution, used cmd, used troubleshooter i don't know what to do next help please!?!? [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  5. External hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive not showing up: I just downloaded windows on a flash drive then plugged it into my pc but when i go to select where i want to download windows nothing shows up. Please help...
  6. CD drive works, but is not showing up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CD drive works, but is not showing up: I have a CD drive for my laptop, but it isn't showing up in device manager at all, it works, it'll spin when you put a disc in, but it isn't showing up anywhere, could this be a faulty connection? If so, how it the drive still getting power. I have tried this with two drives,...
  7. WD External Hard Drive Also Show Up As CD Drive

WD External Hard Drive Also Show Up As CD Drive: When I connect my WD external hard drive F:, it also shows up as a CD drive E:. I tried a different USB port - same problem. This drive is an older model about 8" X 6" container. I googled this situation and all I could find to try was to format the drive, which I did. It...
  8. External CD Drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    External CD Drive: I recently bought a new External CD Drive for my new computer but I can not see files in my CDs. I am thinking this is a Windows10 issue... Is there any way to fix this? Thanks...
  9. My external CD drive and external hard drive no longer show up in Windows explorer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My external CD drive and external hard drive no longer show up in Windows explorer.: When I plug my external portable devices into my pc (like Wester Digital hard drive or my ASUS portable CD drive) I here the blip sound that indicates they are plugged in, but I can't access them in Windows explorer. What should I do?...
  10. External Hard Drive Not Showing UP

External Hard Drive Not Showing UP: Hello, I am using a WD external hard drive to transfer files from one Windows 10 machine to others. The first machine saw the disk fine, and I added all of the data. The next two machines saw the disk fine, and I transferred all of the date. The fourth machine does not...