Windows 10: external cd/dvd doesn't read correctly

Discus and support external cd/dvd doesn't read correctly in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My old Win10 Dell operates my external dvd writer perfectly but my new Win10 HP laptop won't. It sees it but won't. When I try to access on File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DavidTerwilliger1, Jan 15, 2021.

1. external cd/dvd doesn't read correctly

My old Win10 Dell operates my external dvd writer perfectly but my new Win10 HP laptop won't. It sees it but won't.

When I try to access on File Explorer a window opens asking "How do you want to use the disk?"

It offers two options: "Like a Flash Drive" and "With a CD/DVD Player" but the second option isn't selectable .

File explorer on my old Dell laptop opens it right up and displays the disk contents. Why won't my new PC?

Yes, I've ensured the most current update is installed.

:)

DavidTerwilliger1, Jan 15, 2021

2. External CD/DVD Drive

Hello everyone,

I'm new on the forum, and I have a quick question.
    I have a Toshiba Satellite X200 laptop, it has been dropped and the cd/dvd drive will not read anything, it just sounds like it is loading, and blinks yellow.
    I'm going to get an external cd/dvd drive for now until the laptop is taken in (if warranty isn't over).
    Is there any specific external cd/dvd drives you guys know are compatible with the Satellite X200? Or will I not have a problem with compatibility.

Appreciate it,
    Jeremy.

Desperado1, Jan 15, 2021
  3. CD-ROM doesn`t work with win 10

Hi,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Apologize for the difficulties that you're experiencing in Windows 10.

Not to worry, we’re here to help you out.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    This might have occurred due to corrupted\outdated DVD\CD-ROM driver.

Let us try the following steps, and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try updating the DVD\CD-ROM drives from device manager.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager
    • Expand DVD\CD-ROM drives.

• Right click on the driver select
      Update Driver Software.

• Restart the computer.
    Step 2: I suggest you to check and install if there is any latest firmware update for DVD drive from the computer manufacturer.

Also, see: Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs

(Applies to Windows 10 as well).

Disclaimer: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these
    steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, follow the steps to do the same:

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Type regedit in the run box.
    • Locate and click the key or subkey that you want to back up.
    • Click the File menu, and then click Export.
    • In the Save in box, select the location where you want to save the backup copy to, and then type a name for the backup file in the
      File name box.
    • Click Save.

Hope it helps.

Do update us with the details, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Jan 15, 2021
  4. Joosujin Win User

external cd/dvd doesn't read correctly

CD/DVD drive is not correctly displayed

All the resolutions listed under Method 1 apply to the cases when CD/DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs. Fortunately, my drive is recognized by Windows and other programs. I tried all the step-by-step resolutions listed, but did not
    work. For some reason, my CD/DVD drive icon is not the right icon for the drive, and is for compact flash. Any idea?

I also reset my BIOS settings back to factory reset, but it did not help.

Joosujin, Jan 15, 2021
Thema:

external cd/dvd doesn't read correctly

1. external cd/dvd doesn't read correctly - Similar Threads - external dvd doesn't

2. External CD/DVD Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External CD/DVD Drive: Hi Microsoft : I recently purchased an external cd/dvd drive. The problem is with re-writeable CDs. FORMATTING and re-writing. The unit works with re-writeable DVDs FORMATTING and re-writing. When I checked in DEVICE MANAGER, it lists the drive with the HP brand. Listing it...
  3. External cd/dvd writer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External cd/dvd writer: I purchased a Verbatim Slimline cd/dvd writer and cannot get it installed on my Dell laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-cddvd-writer/9b9479f9-7f37-419a-b192-df4925cbc8a9
  4. Cheap External CD/DVD drive with quickish read/write

Cheap External CD/DVD drive with quickish read/write: I've searched this website and Google to try and find a cd/dvd drive that is not too expensive but has quickish read/write speeds. I have a new laptop which does not have a built-in cd/dvd. I have bought an external blu-ray/dvd/cd drive but when using EAC to make a copy of...
  5. dvd/CD rom not reading

dvd/CD rom not reading: operating system : win 10 64 bit dvd/cd rom drives: matshita dvd-ram uj8b0 device status: This device is working properly i uninstalled all antivirus programs still not reading discs i uninstalled and reinstalled still not reading any DVD OR CD I DID SEARCH FOR...
  6. CD/DVD external drive

CD/DVD external drive: When trying to eject a disc from a external driver. I get the following error message: An errer occurred while ejecting yje cd. What does this mean and how do i fix this problem?...
  7. External DVD/CD player

External DVD/CD player: It will play CD's but not DVD's. How do I make it play DVD's? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-dvdcd-player/9ccb57e6-b782-4b1c-b3f2-0d74c0a00020
  8. External CD/DVD drives

External CD/DVD drives: After the last Windows update my Computer does not see the external drive. When I connect an external drive the is an indication by the computer that a device has been inserted, but when I go to This Computer it does not show a CD or DVD external drive. Worked well befor...
  9. Can't read CD/DVD

Can't read CD/DVD: Wanted to write some series of the Prison Break to a DVD-R 1x-16 4.7 GB/120min and i did it in my new PC. The disk is created for a laptop wich has a MATHSITA DVD-RAM UJ88D1 reader/writer. I have some other same type of disks with other series from the Prison Break and when I...
  10. cd/dvd not reading/writing

cd/dvd not reading/writing: I have a hp notebook series 2000 laptop and my computer recognizes drive E as the cd/dvd drive and opens tray and says please insert disc. but when a disc is inserted it still tells me to insert disc. I've tried a few different brands and none of them are registering and...