Windows 10: External device fails to trigger "Eject Media" taskbar icon

Discus and support External device fails to trigger "Eject Media" taskbar icon in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10 is doing something small and seemingly harmless that nevertheless bugs me, and I'm wondering if anyone here has thoughts as to how I might... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BrooksNYC, Oct 2, 2019.

1. BrooksNYC Win User

External device fails to trigger "Eject Media" taskbar icon

Windows 10 is doing something small and seemingly harmless that nevertheless bugs me, and I'm wondering if anyone here has thoughts as to how I might fix it?

Usually, when I plug an external device into my laptop's USB port (thumb drive, burner, backup drive, media player, phone, etc), a tiny "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon appears in the corner of my taskbar:

External device fails to trigger "Eject Media" taskbar icon jAbs3sN.png

(Right-clicking on the icon allows the device to be unplugged safely.)

But yesterday I got a new device—an iPod Touch—that, when plugged into the USB port, doesn't trigger the "Eject Media" icon. Windows IS seeing the device, because the device shows up in iTunes. However, the icon is missing from the taskbar.

Any ideas as to why this one device, out of ALL the external devices I own, fails to evoke the "Eject Media" icon? Windows' taskbar settings haven't yielded any clues.

Thanks!

:)

BrooksNYC, Oct 2, 2019
  2. Mark Isi Win User

Missing Eject in "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" List

Hi Tze Lin Wong,

The configuration to this can be found under settings. To enable this feature follow these steps:

1. Right-click the taskbar and select Taskbar settings.
    2. Under Notification Area, choose
      Select which icons appear on the taskbar.
    3. Scroll to Windows Explorer: Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media
      and turn it on.

If this doesn't work, I suggest that you check with your USB drive manufacturer for new drivers or other updates.

All the best.

Mark Isi, Oct 2, 2019
  3. ejecting a usb drive in 10

Hi Walden,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with accessing Safely Remove and Eject Media USB icon on the taskbar.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information:

• When you say that "not I can not get it to show up in bottom right lower", are you referring that you are not able to see the Eject USB icon under the show hidden icons?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to understand the system

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Then type "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Turn on Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media icon.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Please get back to us with an update on issue, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 2, 2019
  4. External device fails to trigger "Eject Media" taskbar icon

Eject options inconsistent between USB stick and USB external drive - Windows 10

When I want to eject a USB stick I can do it 2 different ways (a) by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device (b) in File Explorer by right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB stick and clicking the Eject option

When I want to eject a USB external drive I only have one option, by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device. In File Explorer if I right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB external drive, there is no Eject option in the list of options.

Since I am usually in File Explorer when I have either a USB stick or a USB external drive plugged in, it is most natural to me to want to eject from within File Explorer after I have finished with the USB device.

Is there any way to 'switch on' an 'Eject' option within File Explorer for a USB external drive ?

Ron

PS this is true for both Windows 10 Home 32 bit and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Ron Hewett, Oct 2, 2019
Thema:

External device fails to trigger "Eject Media" taskbar icon

1. External device fails to trigger "Eject Media" taskbar icon - Similar Threads - External device fails

2. Problem Ejecting External Disk - This device is currently in use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem Ejecting External Disk - This device is currently in use: Hello, After I connect my external disk to my HP Z4 G4 business desktop, I cannot safely remove / eject it anymore. Windows 11 says "Problem Ejecting USB Attached SCSI - This device is currently in use." Also after I click the safely remove button 100 times. It happens even...
  3. internal usb devices being seen as ejectable media

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    internal usb devices being seen as ejectable media: initially all was well until I installed a couple of extra hard drives from a previous build. Just hard drives with files and space, no copies of windows or anything on them. Booted pc back up to find that my aio and fan controller were listed in the bottom right as ejectable...
  4. Taskbar icons triggers incorrect app/window launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar icons triggers incorrect app/window launch: Hi,I'm running W11 on a SurfacePRO7.When coming back from sleep-mode I'm experiencing:- clock is not always updated. It looks like the clock indicates the time when the machine went in sleep mode annoying but you can continue working- icons on the taskbar of apps open...
  5. Taskbar icons triggers incorrect app/window launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar icons triggers incorrect app/window launch: Hi,I'm running W11 on a SurfacePRO7.When coming back from sleep-mode I'm experiencing:- clock is not always updated. It looks like the clock indicates the time when the machine went in sleep mode annoying but you can continue working- icons on the taskbar of apps open...
  6. Can't Eject External Drive - Device In Use

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't Eject External Drive - Device In Use: Windows will not allow me to eject my Samsung D# external hard drive. When I right go to the system tray and click/eject it always gives the error "This device is in use. Close any programes that are using the device then try again. Actually I am not using the drive. The only...
  7. External devices simply show up as "Eject Device" in the eject device menu.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External devices simply show up as "Eject Device" in the eject device menu.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/huckpie [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dsubex/external_devices_simply_show_up_as_eject_device/
  8. Does Windows eject media/external drives on shutdown?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Does Windows eject media/external drives on shutdown?: I'm usually very careful with my external backup HDD but today pulled both the power and data cable without first ejecting the drive in Windows. This was however after the PC had been through a shutdown process so my question is can external media be disconnected safely after...
  9. External device fails to trigger "Eject Media" taskbar icon

in Windows 10 Support
    External device fails to trigger "Eject Media" taskbar icon: Windows 10 is doing something small and seemingly harmless that nevertheless bugs me, and I'm wondering if anyone here has thoughts as to how I might fix it? Usually, when I plug an external device into my laptop's USB port (thumb drive, burner, backup drive, media player,...
  10. Eject device icon wrong for anyone else?

in Windows 10 Support
    Eject device icon wrong for anyone else?: I've been noticing lately that everyone but me has that new generation flat style icon for the eject device handler. Mine looks the same as in 7 (at the bottom): [img] Does anyone have thoughts about this? 40083