Windows 10: External devices broken every time I restart

Discus and support External devices broken every time I restart in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Surface Pro 3. I've had it for a year, came with Windows 8 (or 8.1 - can't recall). Upgraded to Windows 10 and it worked fine. Sometime in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mrobinsn, Dec 14, 2015.

1. mrobinsn Win User

External devices broken every time I restart

I have a Surface Pro 3. I've had it for a year, came with Windows 8 (or 8.1 - can't recall). Upgraded to Windows 10 and it worked fine.

Sometime in the last 2 months, pretty much every time I reboot, or put the computer in sleep mode, etc, ANY external device stops working. This includes:

- Type cover
    - Bluetooth mouse
    - USB docking station (displaylink Targus if it matters)
    - USB flash drive
    - etc

Everything else is fine, touch screen works, etc. To resolve I go into device manager, find the drivers with the yellow warning icon, "update" the driver and select the browse my computer / let me pick option, pick the appropriate driver, and update. After doing my Targus USB port, keyboard, and mouse, everything works. Or similarly the type cover filter driver, it works. Even the Bluetooth USB mouse - its DETECTED, and if I turn it off then it disappears from device manager.

I can't believe this is a surface pro 3 issue, but maybe. I am fully up to date on patches, firmware, etc.

I've tried all sorts of options short of rebuilding from scratch, but nothing is working. As I said, once I update the driver, it works, until I reboot/etc.

No errors in the event log.

Windows 10 Pro.

Hoping someone has advice of a trick I'm missing.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

:)

mrobinsn, Dec 14, 2015
  2. Riel Alc Win User

Since the anniversary Update Windows does not restart on it's own.

Sample of external devices are USB drive, printer and other devices which you connect to USB port. If there's any update that needs to be installed and requires to restart your computer, please disconnect all external devices.

Let us know how it goes.

Riel Alc, Dec 14, 2015
  3. every time I restart my computer I should install NVIDIA driver

Thanks dear Ryan

to check this, I installed another game (PES 2018) . this game also didn't recognize NVIDIA

External devices broken every time I restart [​IMG]

FarhadSohi, Dec 14, 2015
Thema:

External devices broken every time I restart

1. External devices broken every time I restart - Similar Threads - External devices broken

2. Every time I restart the computer, it forgets the time.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Every time I restart the computer, it forgets the time.: Always after restarting when I look at the time, it shows a completely different time. I set the computer to synchronize with the time zone, but it still doesn't show me the correct time. What should i do?...
  3. Every time I restart the computer, it forgets the time.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Every time I restart the computer, it forgets the time.: Always after restarting when I look at the time, it shows a completely different time. I set the computer to synchronize with the time zone, but it still doesn't show me the correct time. What should i do?...
  4. My computer keeps restarting when connected to Bluetooth device - Not every time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computer keeps restarting when connected to Bluetooth device - Not every time: My dell pc is getting restarted frequently when I use a Bluetooth headset. It is getting a DPC watchdog violation right in the middle of a Zoom meeting or watching videos. It happens mostly in Zoom meetings while using a microphone. Also, the audio is not clear in Zoom...
  5. Error message and restart every time I try to save a file to an external drive

Error message and restart every time I try to save a file to an external drive: I've only had my HP Envy since November. All of a sudden when I tried to copy some Office files to a USB, I got an error message and a auto restart. It didn't matter which port I used, got the same result. I then got my easy store external drive out, tried that, and the same...
  6. Windows crashes every time I restart

Windows crashes every time I restart: Every time I restart, my computer shuts down fine, and when it comes time for the loading screen to show up, there's just...nothing. For 10-15 minutes. Then there's a crash report that shows up, and then it starts. But it starts and operates thereafter slowly and in a...
  7. Device comes back every time I remove it.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Device comes back every time I remove it.: So I installed a game from microsoft store on to my friends laptop by logging into my microsoft account on it and ever since I did that, his device has been showing up on my account. Every time I try to remove it however, it pops back on my devices section after about a week...
  8. PC Wipes itself Every Time I Restart

PC Wipes itself Every Time I Restart: I recently installed the last windows update. Now my pc wipes itself every time I restart or shut down my computer. What could be the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-wipes-itself-every-time-i-restart/8b2b467b-5c5c-4e79-af2a-89dff935f002
  9. Bluetooth is Off Every Time I Restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth is Off Every Time I Restart: I have a Dell XPS13 9350. I recently had to wipe the computer. When I restored it, Bluetooth is off every time I restart the computer. To resolve I have to run the Bluetooth troubleshooter. The troubleshooter reinstalls the device and it fixes it. I would like to find a...
  10. every time I restart it has forgotten me

in Windows 10 Customization
    every time I restart it has forgotten me: The other day, my computer must have updated. When I opened it, all of my setting were gone, no wallpaper, no nothing. Like a new computer. I cannot find the photos app and the startup menu does not allow me click on the microsoft store. It just goes dark. I can't figure out...