Windows 10: External disk appearing twice in Explorer

Discus and support External disk appearing twice in Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hope someone can help me. I have 2 external disks - labelled M & N which I use for backups. When they are connected however, they appear twice in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ColMac, Jul 14, 2019.

1. ColMac Win User

External disk appearing twice in Explorer

Hope someone can help me.

I have 2 external disks - labelled M & N which I use for backups.

When they are connected however, they appear twice in Explorer

Attachment 240106

This is very confusing especially as they are listed so close to each other - as N can appear above M! When expanded it is even more confusing.

Right clicking doesn't appear to offer any solutions to hide the "extra" entry. As I don't know what this effect is called, Googling is just about impossible.

Can anyone suggest why they are appearing twice, and whether I can hide the second entry.

Thanks

Colin

:)

ColMac, Jul 14, 2019
  2. jimbo45 Win User

File explorer shows EXTENAL USB volumes TWICE

Hi there

Anybody else get the problem of external USB volumes appearing TWICE in the file explorer list (Build 9860).

External disk appearing twice in Explorer [​IMG]

Not a show stopper but annoying.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 14, 2019
  3. Windows 10 External USB Storage Device No longer Appearing in File Explorer

External disk appearing twice in Explorer c4ab1122-fa40-48ca-90d8-1a323fab1cec.png

Here is Disk List again.

Note: Third list (Disk Drivers2) lists "HGST USB Device" whereas the first list (Disk Drives) lists "Generic - USB 3.0 CRW - SD Device" TWICE instead of the HGST. The reason is probably because I unplugged the HGST to plug in a thumb drive to save the images
    for the screen shots. I don't know why it listed twice but will investigate some more later. (Disk Drives2 was captured first, before the one labeled Disk Drives. In File Explorer, the thumb drive appears and works normally whereas the HGST doesn't show
    up when it is plugged in.

EdwardFlatley, Jul 14, 2019
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

Fixed drives appearing twice in File Explorer

We appreciate the information that you have provided. In your computer management, your drive D is named as Our Photos which is why in properties it shows you that the D drive's name is Our Photos. Items listed under This PC are special folders, internal
    hard disk, and external hard disk on your computer. If an external device is connected to your computer, you'll see a shortcut for it in the navigation pane of the File Explorer.

Feel free to post back if you have further queries.

Paolo Mag, Jul 14, 2019
Thema:

1. External disk appearing twice in Explorer - Similar Threads - External disk appearing

2. Desktop appears twice in navigation pane of File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop appears twice in navigation pane of File Explorer: I recently upgraded from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 Pro v22H2. The Desktop is shown twice in the navigation pane of File Explorer. Also, the same folders on my Desktop are shown twice in the navigation pane. see screen clip below. Can this be changed so that the Desktop is...
  3. OneDrive files appears twice in the File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive files appears twice in the File Explorer: At some point in recent days my File Explorer has listed all my files in the OneDrive folder twice, i.e., the OneDrive folder and its contents is shown twice. The files are not duplicates or copies, because I experimented by deleting some files from one list, to the Recycle...
  4. OneDrive files appears twice in the File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive files appears twice in the File Explorer: At some point in recent days my File Explorer has listed all my files in the OneDrive folder twice, i.e., the OneDrive folder and its contents is shown twice. The files are not duplicates or copies, because I experimented by deleting some files from one list, to the Recycle...
  5. OneDrive files appears twice in the File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. External drives show twice in file explorer In Windows 10 external usb drives show twice in...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External drives show twice in file explorer In Windows 10 external usb drives show twice in...: External drives show twice in file explorer In Windows 10 external usb drives show twice in file explorer. Once under This PC and again under Desktop. How do eliminate one? According to support this isn't a flaw. I consider it to be a design flaw. The second appearance of...
  7. External drives show twice in file explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    External drives show twice in file explorer: In Windows 10 external usb drives show twice in file explorer. Once under This PC and again under Desktop. How do eliminate one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drives-show-twice-in-file-explorer/252c30a0-b538-4b32-b172-cad98e68cee4
  8. External disk appearing twice in Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External disk appearing twice in Explorer: Hope someone can help me. I have 2 external disks - labelled M & N which I use for backups. When they are connected however, they appear twice in Explorer Attachment 240106 This is very confusing especially as they are listed so close to each other - as N can appear above...
  9. External drives shown twice in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drives shown twice in File Explorer: I'm running Windows 10 Pro, Build 10586.71. Can anyone give me an explanation as to why I have my external hard drives showing twice in File Explorer (see Attachment) [img] I've had this since the first install of Win 10, and it's driving me nuts. 39063
  10. External HDD showing twice in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD showing twice in file explorer: My external drive(Samsung) connected via usb3 has started showing twice in file explorer. Opening either shows exactly the same files inside. Screen shot below, I've never tried this so I hope I've done it OK Any help with removing the "imposter" would be appreciated....