Windows 10: External disk fixing takes very long time

Discus and support External disk fixing takes very long time in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have Windows 10. I had a problem with my external hard drive it said fatal hardware error as it was not recognized by the system, though... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GuyRosen, Jan 6, 2020.

1. GuyRosen Win User

External disk fixing takes very long time

Hi,

I have Windows 10.

I had a problem with my external hard drive it said fatal hardware error as it was not recognized by the system, though found as disk F:\. I restarted as sometimes it fixes such bugs.

right at the start of booting, windows started fixing my external hard drive, completing after an hour.

At this point the explorer did not work properly, so I restarted it again. That was about 17 hours ago.

The computer tried to fix my external again, and is stuck on stage 2 where it's progress in a very slow.

write now the message I get is:

Fixing F: Stage 2: 92% 372408 of 400908; Total 71% ETA 6:09:27..

17 hours ago it was on 372108, so with this rate it will take months just to complete stage 2!

what should I do??

I would appreciate any help and/or suggestions.

I must add that loosing the files within the external hard drive is not an option, but not using the computer for about half a year is not desirable as well...

My system is Windows 10

Thank you in advance!

:)

GuyRosen, Jan 6, 2020

2. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jan 6, 2020
  3. Can't find External Hard disk?

Hi,

Thank you for coming back to us.

To assist you better, please provide us more information

• Did you tried all the methods from my previous response?

• What is the make and model of the external disk?

• Does the external device is detecting on Disk management?
    The issue you are facing could be due to external disk driver is being outdated. You can also try below steps to update the external disk driver and check.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device manager.

• Click on Universal Serial Bus to expand it, right click on the
      device and Update it.
    Hope this helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Jan 6, 2020
  4. External disk fixing takes very long time

Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue External disk fixing takes very long time :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

External disk fixing takes very long time

1. External disk fixing takes very long time - Similar Threads - External disk fixing

2. basic typing taking a very long time to download

in Windows 10 Gaming
    basic typing taking a very long time to download: in windows 11. was trying to download the "Basic Typing" for chinese so that i can choose chinese keyboard and type chinese characters.However, it is taking like forever to download. I let the download run from 10pm to next day 630am and the download was still ongoing. I have...
  3. basic typing taking a very long time to download

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    basic typing taking a very long time to download: in windows 11. was trying to download the "Basic Typing" for chinese so that i can choose chinese keyboard and type chinese characters.However, it is taking like forever to download. I let the download run from 10pm to next day 630am and the download was still ongoing. I have...
  4. Help with Windows shutting taking a very long time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with Windows shutting taking a very long time: I am running Windows 10 Pro version 1909 OS build 18363.836. Whenever I shutdown or restart, it takes about 5 minutes to shut down. It seems to have started randomly. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? submitted by /u/audma [link] [comments]...
  5. Blue screen taking a very long time.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen taking a very long time.: Hello, I was installing an older version of avast when I got blue screened. Before that I had updated my windows version. Problem is, the blue screen won't go away. It's been about 20mins now. Is there anything I could do?...
  6. Fixing external Disk is very slow!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fixing external Disk is very slow!: Hi, I have Windows 10. I had a problem with my external hard drive it said fatal hardware error as it was not recognized by the system, though found as disk F:\. I restarted as sometimes it fixes such bugs. right at the start of booting, windows started fixing my...
  7. Delete account and data taking a very long time.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete account and data taking a very long time.: I'm just concerned that it's taking a long time to delete a local account. Is this normal or is something weird happening? How long does it take? submitted by /u/Big_Noobus [link] [comments]...
  8. Disk Cleanup takes long time to run

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup takes long time to run: Hello, I'm running Win 10 Pro v1903. Always, when I was launching Disk Cleanup, it was cleaning the disk in seconds. I've noticed recently that when I launch Disk Cleanup, it takes exactly 3min 56 sec (timed) to run while the elements to be cleaned are empty. Is there a...
  9. Disk Cleanup takes long time to run

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Cleanup takes long time to run: Hello, I'm running Win 10 Pro v1903. Always, when I was launching Disk Cleanup, it was cleaning the disk in seconds. I've noticed recently that when I launch Disk Cleanup, it takes exactly 3min 56 sec (timed) to run while the elements to be cleaned are empty. Is there a...
  10. video taking very long time to start playing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    video taking very long time to start playing: Is it a hardware problem? Or is it normal ? I have some videos on a spinning hard drive, I tried to play back one of it, it's not large, probably 2-3GB in size, but the default windows player kept me waiting at least 30 seconds before it starts to playback. System, intel i5...