Windows 10: External displays randomly disconnect following cold boot

Discus and support External displays randomly disconnect following cold boot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; We have this problem where external displays randomly disconnect. They usually disconnect for good and may not detect. In all cases these displays are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by swoods281, Mar 8, 2021.

1. swoods281 Win User

External displays randomly disconnect following cold boot

We have this problem where external displays randomly disconnect. They usually disconnect for good and may not detect. In all cases these displays are off a dock, but I've seen it happen with different models of docks. Some docks use USB-C Thunderbolt 3, one is a recent Surface Pro dock. The docks and monitors and the cables connecting them have all been found to be good when attached to other PC's and are verified compatible by referencing manufacturer's manuals. I've tried switching from displayport to hdmi, etc, doesn't help. DisplayLink software not used by one of the docks so that can't be it. All monitors compatible with HDCP and things like that. I've updated drivers, dock firmware, bios, display drivers, tried switching or turning off discrete graphics cards for onboard intel graphics and vice versa, nothing works. It's not a power issue. I looked at what applications were running, I turned off hardware acceleration in Office and other applications, nothing. It's driving me crazy.

The one consistent pattern I've observed is that the problem starts within a few minutes after booting up a computer that had been shut down and powered off. If you restart windows, either after the problem starts or even beforerestart immediately after booting, then the problem does NOT happen for the rest of the day and will only come back if you do a shut down. I already disabled fast startup and that did not fix the problem. We have not observed any correlation between this problem and putting the computer to sleep, or configuring the monitors to go off after so many minutes of inactivity in power settings.

This started happening early last monthFebruary 2021 and since its occurring with multiple types of devices and docks, I get a strong feeling it's a Windows problem.

I was wondering if this was a known issue and if anyone had any insight.

:)

swoods281, Mar 8, 2021
  2. ElderJohn Win User

BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE randomly after cold boot/sleep

For the past month I have been getting random BSOD's all with driver power state failure. They happen randomly, usually within the first 5-10 minutes of cold booting or waking my computer. Steps I have taken to attempt to fix the problem:
    1. Reinstalled GPU drivers/ tried old drivers
    2. Fresh installed Windows 1803, still happened, then fresh installed 1709
    3. Disabled Fast Boot
    None of these things fixed the issue, any help would be much appreciated at pinpointing the issue. Thanks

ElderJohn, Mar 8, 2021
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Primary monitor blacks out after disconnecting from external

Hi Oscar,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

• Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?

This issue could be due to the display setting corruption that only affected the primary display when disconnected from the secondary.

I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works for you:

• Press ‘Win + R’ keys on the keyboard together to open the Run dialog box and type the following into the Run box:
      appwiz.cpl
    • Uninstall Intel HD Graphics Drivers and exit
      Programs and Features.
    • Right click the Windows icon on the taskbar and choose
      Device Manager
    • Expand Display Adapters and right click on
      Intel HD Graphics Display Driver.
    • Click on Uninstall and check the box
      Delete the driver software for this device.

• With the external monitor connected, reboot the machine.
    • Once the machine boots into the desktop, disconnect the external monitor and check if the issue persists.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Mar 8, 2021
  4. Arul_D Win User

Projecting to an external display

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Windows 10.

I understand that you are unable to use external display with windows 10.

This usually occurs if the video driver was not installed properly or not configured correctly.so I would suggest you to reinstall the drivers in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Uninstall Display Adapter drivers

I suggest you to uninstall the display drivers and reinstall them in compatibility mode.

To uninstall the driver, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type devmgmt.msc
    • Right click on the driver you want to uninstall
    • Click on Uninstall
    • Restart the system
    After the computer restarts, install the driver in compatibility mode.

• Select the setup file
    • Right click on it and click on
      properties
    • Click on Compatibility tab
    • Select the operating system
    • Click Ok.
    Hope it helps, do get back to us if you need further assistance with Windows.

Arul_D, Mar 8, 2021
Thema:

1. External displays randomly disconnect following cold boot - Similar Threads - External displays randomly

2. All external displays stuck on "disconnect this display"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All external displays stuck on "disconnect this display": Dell Latitude 5430 connected to Dell WD22TB4 docking station. This morning I connected my laptop and all three desktop displays are stuck in "disconnect this display", changing to duplicate or extend prompts to "keep changes" or "revert" but nothing changes. I have rebooted...
  3. All external displays stuck on "disconnect this display"

in Windows 10 Customization
    All external displays stuck on "disconnect this display": Dell Latitude 5430 connected to Dell WD22TB4 docking station. This morning I connected my laptop and all three desktop displays are stuck in "disconnect this display", changing to duplicate or extend prompts to "keep changes" or "revert" but nothing changes. I have rebooted...
  4. All external displays stuck on "disconnect this display"

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. 3rd Display Disconnects Randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    3rd Display Disconnects Randomly: I have a setup of 3 displays and the TV keeps disconnecting randomly. I don't know why this happens, but it does and the only thing that works is unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI into the graphics card. The problem is not with the TV, as all of the other inputs never do...
  6. Display Adapter disconnects randomly

Display Adapter disconnects randomly: Hello, I'm duplicating a question asked by katie757 as that thread has been locked, but I may have found a "solution". [ORIGINAL QUESTION] created on January 22, 2020 by katie757 Dell Laptop 7400 2n1 and connecting to an Epson 595wi projector installed with the Microsoft...
  7. Display adapter disconnects randomly

Display adapter disconnects randomly: Dell Laptop 7400 2n1 and connecting to an Epson 595wi projector installed with the Microsoft Wireless Adapter Laptop connects without any issues and is consistently works. We proceeded to install district wide, we started to name them per the room they were going in, and...
  8. BSOD/Crash on Cold Boot and at Random Times

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD/Crash on Cold Boot and at Random Times: Starting a few months ago, I always get a BSOD on a cold boot, usually a minute or two after Windows boots up. The system would function fine for a certain amount of time before I would get either another BSOD or white, black, pink or other colored screen crashes. The...
  9. Drive randomly disconnected, severe lag follows

Drive randomly disconnected, severe lag follows: I have had this issue in the past which occurred when I had plugged in an external drive. The exact same one that gave me problems a while back. Anyways, I would be doing my regular things which includes playing games and multi-tasking then I receive a notification from Intel...
  10. external display disconnects LAN?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external display disconnects LAN?: So I'm using a laptop with windows 10 through HDMI to a TV for display, after 10-20 seconds my LAN on modem turns off. forcing me to restart modem because all devices disconnect. I am able to use the laptop without the TV turned on, but as soon as I turn on the TV my internet...