Windows 10: External Drive - Any file or app I try to open comes with an error message

Discus and support External Drive - Any file or app I try to open comes with an error message in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello: I get the following error while trying to open any file or app on my external HDD. Here's the message: AThis message can appear if a file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by D_future, Dec 13, 2018.

1. D_future Win User

External Drive - Any file or app I try to open comes with an error message

Hello:

I get the following error while trying to open any file or app on my external HDD. Here's the message:

AThis message can appear if a file has been saved with permissions. Permissions, also known as rights or privileges, can be applied to a file, folder, or almost any resource available from a network (printers, shares, files, databases, Web sites, etc). When a user attempts to open a resource that requires specific user permissions, this message will appear if the user does not have the required permissions.

Permissions can be set for individual users, groups of users, or for a specific computer. Usually, this message appears if you are using a network to which administrators have applied permissions for specific users and groups, or if you are accessing a resource local to a specific user's computer, but are blocked because of local permissions that have been set by that user. If you cannot open a resource on a file server or other computer on your network, you will most likely need to review your user account settings to determine whether you have the necessary permissions to gain access to the resource. If you do not know whether you have the necessary permissions, contact your network administrator or the owner of the computer with the shared resources.

Usually, this message does not appear if you are using disk drives formatted with a FAT or FAT32 file system. Drives formatted with NTFS, HPFS, or another file format that provides the ability to apply permissions, are capable of forcing this message.

Occasionally, the computer that grants users access to a network can lose the information that is used to authenticate a specific user. When this happens, the only option available is to turn your computer off for thirty seconds, and then restart your computer (you must turn off the computer to clear the cached information in the network card). Restarting may reset the authentication information that is used to grant you access to the network. If this does not work, you must contact the network administrator to have your account reset. It is also possible that the network administrator has disabled your account.

There is also the possibility that the file you are attempting to open is restricted through Information Rights Management (IRM). IRM is an alternate form of file restriction access that allows creators of a file the ability to limit editing, copying, printing, or forwarding of content. If the file is restricted and you require access to its contents, you must contact the creator or owner of the file to request that they add your user ID to the list of users who are allowed to access the file.

Your assistance is appreciated and thanks!

:)

D_future, Dec 13, 2018
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Dec 13, 2018
  3. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Dec 13, 2018
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Regarding copying of files in external drive from pc

Hi,

The message that appeared on your screen may have occurred due to the possible missing files if you'll try to copy it that way. We suggest that you follow these steps on how you can copy the file together with it's properties:

• Right click on the application (Bully) and click Properties.
    • On the application properties window, under the Shortcut tab, click
      Open File Location.
    • The File Location window will open.
    • Select everything. Copy and paste it to the external drive.
    • The copying process may take a while depending on the type of files.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Dec 13, 2018
Thema:

1. External Drive - Any file or app I try to open comes with an error message - Similar Threads - External Drive file

2. When i try to log in any app from microsoft the error 0x800704cf comes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When i try to log in any app from microsoft the error 0x800704cf comes.: HelloHow you can probably see im logged in rn but i can only do that in my browser but in an app like microsoft store the error comes.I spent a couple hours yesterday trying pretty much every way i could find in the internet to fix that problem but nothing worked.Things i...
  3. When i try to log in any app from microsoft the error 0x800704cf comes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When i try to log in any app from microsoft the error 0x800704cf comes.: HelloHow you can probably see im logged in rn but i can only do that in my browser but in an app like microsoft store the error comes.I spent a couple hours yesterday trying pretty much every way i could find in the internet to fix that problem but nothing worked.Things i...
  4. When Installing apps this error message is coming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When Installing apps this error message is coming: Error Name- Error 2753What it is showing-My computer/Specifications-Device name DESKTOP-J6LP7RQ Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz Installed RAM 16.0 GB 15.8 GB usable Device ID 8F3803BD-7C7A-4F19-B169-208AE13F5227 Product ID 00325-96770-51172-AAOEM...
  5. Error message and restart every time I try to save a file to an external drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error message and restart every time I try to save a file to an external drive: I've only had my HP Envy since November. All of a sudden when I tried to copy some Office files to a USB, I got an error message and a auto restart. It didn't matter which port I used, got the same result. I then got my easy store external drive out, tried that, and the same...
  6. Error message when trying to access files from an external hard drive in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error message when trying to access files from an external hard drive in file explorer: I have an 2.0TB Seagate external drive attached by USB when I try to open some of the files in file explorer I get the message "Location not available - H:/ ***********. is not accessible. The request failed due to a fatal device hardware failure" I have attached a...
  7. Error message when trying to open saved files or apps

Error message when trying to open saved files or apps: This file does not have an app associated with it for opening this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed , create an association in the Default Apps Settings Page. It doesn't matter whether it's a PDF, a Word or Excel file...
  8. "Access is denied" error message on any external storage, external hardrive, cd drive,...

"Access is denied" error message on any external storage, external hardrive, cd drive,...: Hello, I am getting "access is denied" whenever I try to insert any device via the usb port, external hard drive, usb flash drive, my android phone, camera and even the cd drive. The devices would appear though on file explorer with a generic name but cannot be opened. I...
  9. error message when try to open zipped file

error message when try to open zipped file: How do I open a zipped file -I have a password to enter not sure how/where? please advise... when I try to open the zipped file -- why do I get error message below. windows cannot complete the extraction , the destination file could not be created-error how do I...
  10. This is the message I get when trying to open any of my photos " File system error...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    This is the message I get when trying to open any of my photos " File system error...: This is the message I get when trying to open any of my photos " File system error (-805305975)" how do I resolve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-is-the-message-i-get-when-trying-to-open-any/bbb1887f-fe99-47bb-b810-9e9b5004d707

Users found this page by searching for:

1. error message when tryig to open exterior drive

2. trying to open mp4 from external hard drive file system error