Windows 10: external drive crashing Windows File Explorer

Discus and support external drive crashing Windows File Explorer in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I'm trying to reuse old WD Scorpion WD2500BEVS 250GB HDD, as external HDD drive. Its been in my old laptop whose motherboard died of old age,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Djordje97, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Djordje97 Win User

external drive crashing Windows File Explorer

Hello,

I'm trying to reuse old WD Scorpion WD2500BEVS 250GB HDD, as external HDD drive. Its been in my old laptop whose motherboard died of old age, no water damage.

When i plug it in the laptop, Windows 10 recognizes the drive as 2 different drives. DriveF, that OS shows no details about, and DriveH, That has 110GB of free, and 110GB of total storage. Also, the green loading bar of File Explorer, never stops loading, it reaches about 90-something % and then just hovers there. I can freely access DriveH, but if i try anything with DriveF, File explorer goes to "Not-Responding".

Let me just say what I've tried, and what it isn't:

1. I'ts not to the external rack, since I've just bought it from the store, i still have warranty for the rack.

2. I've already tried sfc/scannnow, it fixed something and I restarted my laptop and issue still exists.

3. If i try restart File Explorer service or just restart File Explorer from Task Manager, Screen goes black and unresponsive until i unplug External HDD, and then it goes back to normal.

4. I've tried manufacturers repair utility for my specific type of HDD, but it also get unresponsive when drive is plugged in.

5. I've tried running CHKDSK on both DriveF and DriveH, from both Admin and regular user CMD, and as soon as i press Enter CMD gets "Not-Responding".

6. I've tried using format from CMD on DriveF but it also causes "Not-Responding" to occur.

7. I've Run thorough check on malware, spyware and viruses with several antivirus apps but none of them found anything.

8. I've Tried different USB ports on my laptop, and same thing happens on all of them.

9. All of my other external HDD-s work fine on my laptop, and all of them are from same manufacturer as this one, Western Digital WD.

10. I've tried Disk Management, but if External Drive is plugged in, it never loads any drives in to the list of available drives, and if Disk Management is open before External Drive is plugged in, as soon as External Drive is plugged in, Disk Management goes "Not-Responding".

I don't care what happens to files on the drive, i just want to format it and use it as external storage, to the full capacity of the drive and not just 110GB its showing now.

Please help

Djordje

:)

Djordje97, Mar 15, 2020
  2. Zero Ice Win User

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

So, I open up My Computer, open my F Drive and boom: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close". It is really annoying! I am fine everywhere else in explorer, but something just screws up when I try the external HDD (USB) or my thumb drive.

Can anyone help?

Zero Ice, Mar 15, 2020
  3. jsmin Win User
    Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Mar 15, 2020
  4. Harvy Win User

Windows explorer crashing

Hi,

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread.

I have tried the fixes listed in the above thread and I am getting the same error message as 'ktadie' (post 16). I think this is because I am running Windows 7 Professional. Windows explorer crashes when I open my 'Films' folder on my brand new 2tb external HDD. I have about 300 .avi files in this folder and some of the .avi files are several years old.

In short I believe I need the same fix given by 'Wile E' (post 7) but updated for Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Harvy, Mar 15, 2020
Thema:

1. external drive crashing Windows File Explorer - Similar Threads - external drive crashing

2. External Hard Drive Crashes Windows Explorer and Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Crashes Windows Explorer and Computer: Hello,I’m currently experiencing a problem with my external hard drive, WD My Passport Ultra.When I was transferring a file to the WD drive the wire got disconnected and now the drive does not work.When I connect my drive to the computer, the green bar showing the drive...
  3. External Hard Drive Crashes Windows Explorer and Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Crashes Windows Explorer and Computer: Hello,I’m currently experiencing a problem with my external hard drive, WD My Passport Ultra.When I was transferring a file to the WD drive the wire got disconnected and now the drive does not work.When I connect my drive to the computer, the green bar showing the drive...
  4. External drives are duplicated in File Explorer on Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drives are duplicated in File Explorer on Windows 11.: When either USB flash drives or external hard drives for backup are plugged in any of the USB ports, they show up as duplicates in File Explorer. I have been having problems with Windows Backup, and it may be confused by this....
  5. External drives are duplicated in File Explorer on Windows 11.

External drives are duplicated in File Explorer on Windows 11.: When either USB flash drives or external hard drives for backup are plugged in any of the USB ports, they show up as duplicates in File Explorer. I have been having problems with Windows Backup, and it may be confused by this....
  6. Windows 11 File Explorer not showing external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer not showing external drive: I just updated my Lenovo computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and all of my drives were there. Updated from Windows 10 to Windows 11 this morning and now only have one of my external drives. The external 1 TB external is there and working but the 80 GB WD Passport isn't...
  7. Windows 11 File Explorer not showing external drive

Windows 11 File Explorer not showing external drive: I just updated my Lenovo computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and all of my drives were there. Updated from Windows 10 to Windows 11 this morning and now only have one of my external drives. The external 1 TB external is there and working but the 80 GB WD Passport isn't...
  8. External hard drive crashes windows explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hard drive crashes windows explorer: My drive is partitioned into two, a 276 gb and a 16gb one. Both had the problem two days ago but I solved it in the big one formatting it. However, it won't let me do the same in the small one, even on third party programs (WBFS manager). Disk management doesn't do anything...
  9. Windows explorer crashes can't open external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows explorer crashes can't open external hard drive: I see so many threads for this issue, yet none of those threads have working answers :. I bought a Toshiba Canvio Advance Portable 2TB External Harddrive about a month ago, and finally got around to using it about a week ago. Used about 500Gb of the memory until it suddenly...
  10. File Explorer Not Showing External "A" Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Not Showing External "A" Drive: I plugged an external "A" drive into my computer via a USB port with File Explorer open. The "A" drive shows up, but only for about 2 seconds and then it goes away. I changed USB ports and it does the same. I checked Device Manager under "Floppy Drives" and it shows the "A"...