Windows 10: External Drive Dialog Boxes Open on Every Reboot

Discus and support External Drive Dialog Boxes Open on Every Reboot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Title kind of says it all. Every time my computer reboots, some or all of the dialog boxes for my external drives open on the desktop. I am just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gator5000e, Sep 1, 2015.

1. External Drive Dialog Boxes Open on Every Reboot

Title kind of says it all. Every time my computer reboots, some or all of the dialog boxes for my external drives open on the desktop. I am just wondering if this is an indication of something more serious going on or should I just forget it?

I've attached a screed shot.

Thanks.

:)

Gator5000e, Sep 1, 2015

2. windows 10 "the device is not ready"

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

Try to assign drive letter for external drive and check if that helps in resolving the issue.

• On the desktop, press Windows Key + R to bring up the Run Window

• In the Run Window, type
      diskmgmt.msc
      to bring up the disk management console.

• Right-click on the entry for the external drive to open the Drive menu.

• Click “Change Drive Letters and Paths” to open the "Change Drive Letter and Paths" dialog box.

• Click the “Change” button to display a second dialog box.

• Click the “Assign the Following Drive Letter” radio button, and then click the corresponding drop-down box to view available drive letters

• Click the desired drive letter to assign to the external drive, and then click “OK.” A warning message displays.
    Hope the information provided helps you in resolving the issue.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Sep 1, 2015
  3. Inaccessible External Hard Drive

Hello,

Try to assign drive letter for external drive and check if that helps in resolving the issue.

• On the desktop, press Windows Key + R to bring up the Run Window
    • In the Run Window, type diskmgmt.msc to bring up the disk management console.
    • Right-click on the entry for the external drive to open the Drive menu.
    • Click “Change Drive Letters and Paths” to open the "Change Drive Letter and Paths" dialog box.
    • Click the “Change” button to display a second dialog box.
    • Click the “Assign the Following Drive Letter” radio button, and then click the corresponding drop-down box to view available drive letters
    • Click the desired drive letter to assign to the external drive, and then click “OK.” A warning message displays.

Hope the information provided helps you in resolving the issue.

Thank you.

Anju Thekkethil, Sep 1, 2015
  4. caperjack Win User

External Drive Dialog Boxes Open on Every Reboot

hi, I would go to auto play in control panel and turn off auto play for all media and devices , besides its a good for security reasons to set it to off ...,see what happens

caperjack, Sep 1, 2015
  5. Thank you for the suggestion. I went and changed it to take no action for removable drives. If i turn off auto play across the board, when I try to play something and forget I changed it here, I will be back here asking why nothing plays!! I will see how that works, though. Thanks again.

Gator5000e, Sep 1, 2015
  6. caperjack Win User
    ok then just turn off the removable drive section

caperjack, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

External Drive Dialog Boxes Open on Every Reboot

1. External Drive Dialog Boxes Open on Every Reboot - Similar Threads - External Drive Dialog

2. multiple dialog boxes remain open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    multiple dialog boxes remain open: I noticed that after some Windows 10 update that when I open a dialog box and then select another dialog from that box the original box stays open. This can lead to a string of open dialog boxes. When finished with my search, I then have to close each box individually. This...
  3. multiple dialog boxes remain open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    multiple dialog boxes remain open: I noticed that after some Windows 10 update that when I open a dialog box and then select another dialog from that box the original box stays open. This can lead to a string of open dialog boxes. When finished with my search, I then have to close each box individually. This...
  4. multiple dialog boxes remain open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Dialog boxes will not open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dialog boxes will not open: I'm using Windows 10 on an ASUS VivoBook. Sometime in the past few months, dialog boxes for Snip & Sketch and the HP Smart app have stopped working. When I click save on either of these apps, instead of a dialog box coming up for me to rename the file and choose where to save...
  6. Dialog boxes will not open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dialog boxes will not open: I'm using Windows 10 on an ASUS VivoBook. Sometime in the past few months, dialog boxes for Snip & Sketch and the HP Smart app have stopped working. When I click save on either of these apps, instead of a dialog box coming up for me to rename the file and choose where to save...
  7. Dialog Boxes open between monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dialog Boxes open between monitors: I have 3 monitors, 1 4K 3840 x 2160 150% Scaling and 2 standard 1920 x 1080 100% Scaling. Some dialog boxes like UAC Prompts, dialog boxes and even some windowsopen up in-between monitors, usually the 4K and my main screen which is 1920x1080. I have to move the box with the...
  8. File Open Dialog Box Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Open Dialog Box Issues: Since today I've noticed that the Windows file open dialog box crashes the app calling it. For example, I use Soundforge Pro 11 and if I click the icon or the menu item for file open, the dialog appears followed by an error message from the application saying the program has...
  9. Open and Save As Dialog Boxes not working Windows 10- open and save dialog boxes not...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Open and Save As Dialog Boxes not working Windows 10- open and save dialog boxes not...: New 4 Months Lennovo legion laptop with Win10 64 bit pre-installed. As indicated, the file/open file/save dialog boxes do not work for any 32 bit applications. This includes Office applications/Acrobat/Garmin/etc. Dialog boxes do work for 64 bit applications. 1 I have...
  10. Dialog Box Save/Open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dialog Box Save/Open: When saving or opening a file you are promoted with a dialog box, beside the file name there is a text box and beside the text box there is down arrow that will list all your recent saved or open files with it's path, how do I not have them be saved in the drop down list? I...