Windows 10: External drive docking port not seen

Discus and support External drive docking port not seen in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I recently purchased a "All In 1 HDD Docking" device. It has ability to slide in either a SATA or an IDE disk drive and connects via USB. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bcarter17, Mar 23, 2021.

1. bcarter17 Win User

External drive docking port not seen

Hello, I recently purchased a "All In 1 HDD Docking" device. It has ability to slide in either a SATA or an IDE disk drive and connects via USB. It also has ports for SD cards and memory sticks, and also 2 USB ports for thumb drives.

On my PC, the SD and thumb drive ports work and are seen in windows explorer, but my 3.5 hard drive is not. I have tried both an IDE and a SATA drive with no luck. Drives are good, they just were working on a different external port I was using via USB. When I insert the drive into the dock, you can hear it power up. It appears to show up in device manager, but not given a drive letter for access in windows My Computer. Drivers are all showing current.

Any help appreciated

:)

bcarter17, Mar 23, 2021

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Mar 23, 2021
  3. F-t-C Win User
    External HD & eSata port

Hello Igor! Thanks for stepping in...

> Does the drive appear in Device manager and Disk management when connected to e-SATA port?

Not at ALL. I have 2 docking 'stations' with eSata and USB-3 connectors, so HD seen from OS when connected trough USB-3, but usually I use eSata for faster transfer data speed.

F-t-C, Mar 23, 2021
  4. External drive docking port not seen

My Simple Tech external drive is not seen on windows 10!

<Original title: External Drive>

My Simple Tech external drive is not seen on windows 10!

Tried all USB ports.

Tried restarting with external drive on.

CCCBuilding, Mar 23, 2021
Thema:

External drive docking port not seen

1. External drive docking port not seen - Similar Threads - External drive docking

2. Repeatable crash with external drive dock

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repeatable crash with external drive dock: I've found an issue with windows hard crashing while using an external drive dock. This originally occurred on windows 10 on a separate computer, but i've discovered it also occurs on a new computer on windows 11, and will occur with different drives in the dock. The only...
  3. Repeatable crash with external drive dock

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repeatable crash with external drive dock: I've found an issue with windows hard crashing while using an external drive dock. This originally occurred on windows 10 on a separate computer, but i've discovered it also occurs on a new computer on windows 11, and will occur with different drives in the dock. The only...
  4. External drives not being seen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drives not being seen: A bit of a weird one. I started noticing that my Western Digital drive wasn't being seen by my PC. Thought it could be the USB port or cable as a Freecom external drive was working ok. Then a friends WD external drive wasn't being seen at all. The other week I plugged in a...
  5. External drives not being seen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External drives not being seen: A bit of a weird one. I started noticing that my Western Digital drive wasn't being seen by my PC. Thought it could be the USB port or cable as a Freecom external drive was working ok. Then a friends WD external drive wasn't being seen at all. The other week I plugged in a...
  6. External drives not being seen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. External drive not seen - best way forward?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive not seen - best way forward?: Hi I've had a few external USB drives die on me lately. One of them wasn't fully backed-up, so I'm looking for the best way to try and recover the data. The disk is a 5TB Seagate Backup-plus (2.5 inch) USB3-connected drive. The data on it isn't really all _that_ important (I...
  8. External drive not seen - best way forward?

in Windows 10 Support
    External drive not seen - best way forward?: Hi I've had a few external USB drives die on me lately. One of them wasn't fully backed-up, so I'm looking for the best way to try and recover the data. The disk is a 5TB Seagate Backup-plus (2.5 inch) USB3-connected drive. The data on it isn't really all _that_ important (I...
  9. External Drive Not Seen by Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Drive Not Seen by Win 10 Pro: I have removed a functional 1TB WD SATA drive from an out-of-service Win7 Asus machine. It was the sole drive, and there are/were no jumpers set. I have put it in my functional USB Star Tech SATA/IDE disk caddy in the proper slot, but it is not seen in File explorer. Other...
  10. How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks.

in Windows 10 Support
    How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks.: Hello, I'm running the latest version of Windows 10. I have a new INATECK FD2005 external dual drive dock connected via USB to my Dell XPS 8910 desktop. Everything is working fine and the dock is recognized and seems to be working normally, except that it has a feature...