Windows 10: External Drive File List

Discus and support External Drive File List in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello All, I wasn't sure in which community I should post this, so I apologize in advance. I have a few external drives, and I'd like to create a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/qbenguy, Feb 10, 2020.

1. External Drive File List

Hello All,

I wasn't sure in which community I should post this, so I apologize in advance.

I have a few external drives, and I'd like to create a list of the files for each drive. I started creating an Excel spreadsheet, and manually adding each file name and location before thinking there has to be a better way. Is there a process or an application that can automatically create a list of the contents on each drive?

Please let me know what you feel might be the best approach. Thanks!

submitted by /u/qbenguy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/qbenguy, Feb 10, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Feb 10, 2020
  3. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Feb 10, 2020
  4. External Drive File List

File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Feb 10, 2020
Thema:

External Drive File List

1. External Drive File List - Similar Threads - External Drive File

2. Bitlocker external drive exclusion list for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker external drive exclusion list for Windows 10: We use Bitlocker to encrypt the external drives in our company, and we need to exclude the ClickShare units in our meeting rooms. I causes confusion to the end users when prompted to encrypt these devices.Barco made a post about it here 2 years ago:...
  3. Bitlocker external drive exclusion list for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker external drive exclusion list for Windows 10: We use Bitlocker to encrypt the external drives in our company, and we need to exclude the ClickShare units in our meeting rooms. I causes confusion to the end users when prompted to encrypt these devices.Barco made a post about it here 2 years ago:...
  4. Bitlocker external drive exclusion list for Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Finding a list of files skipped during transfer to external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Finding a list of files skipped during transfer to external drive: Hello. I copied a large amount of files and folders to a back up external SSD from OneDrive recently and many files with long names were skipped. Is it possible to find a list of these skipped files and copy the list for reference?...
  6. Finding a list of files skipped during transfer to external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Finding a list of files skipped during transfer to external drive: Hello. I copied a large amount of files and folders to a back up external SSD from OneDrive recently and many files with long names were skipped. Is it possible to find a list of these skipped files and copy the list for reference?...
  7. Detailed File List For External Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Detailed File List For External Hard Drives: I've been asked to tidy up a laptop and a couple of external hard drives for my mum, which will involve removing any duplicated photo's/songs/films - before passing away, my dad was notorious for saving the same thing in several areas but not always under the same name!Is...
  8. Listing of External Drive in Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Listing of External Drive in Documents Folder: When opening My Documents folder to find my external hard drive, I see it listed twice. See screenshot.Both listings seem to contain the same data. Can you explain the two listings?Thanks,Jerry7/16/2021...
  9. Files on External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files on External Hard Drive: can i edit, rename,delete, organize photos and files that are on an external drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-on-external-hard-drive/7f4616f5-8277-4ed5-88c1-fb019bcd810a
  10. creating a list of files that are on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    creating a list of files that are on an external hard drive: Can anyone tell me how I can create a list of files that are on an external hard drive. I have changed computers and now have windows 10. Someone else created the file for me which shows all the files that I have on my external hard drive....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hard drive filelist win10