Windows 10: External drive formatting issues using Windows 10

Discus and support External drive formatting issues using Windows 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Seagate 4T external drive we want to use with Acronis True Image. At some point the external drive became formatted with 2 volumes, each with about 2T.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SteveKruschen, Oct 16, 2018.

1. External drive formatting issues using Windows 10

Seagate 4T external drive we want to use with Acronis True Image. At some point the external drive became formatted with 2 volumes, each with about 2T.

In mucking around to try and get back to a single partition with all 4T, I am now stuck with one unallocated 2T partition and one 2T

partition formatted in NTFS.

The unlocated partition is not available to do anything at all.

How can I make nice again and get to one 4T NTFS drive?

Frustrating!

:)

SteveKruschen, Oct 16, 2018

2. Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 16, 2018
  3. Micah Bat Win User
    External drives and Windows 10 issue

Since you are having multiple issues with Windows 10, we suggest you to run a System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Image Servicing (DISM) to look into the system for possible corruption. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X
    • On the menu which should pop-up on the lower-left side of your screen, click
      Command Prompt (admin)
    • Type the following on Command Prompt (wait for the SFC scan to finish before running DISM):

sfc /scannow

dism /online /restorehealth /cleanup-image

Check the result of the scans, and if it states that it was able to fix some corrupted files, simply restart your computer to apply the fix and check if the issue persists.

Regarding your external hard disk, we suggest you to update your USB Hard Disk drivers. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Device Manager.
    • Find the disk drive for your external hard disk.
    • Right-click your disk drive.
    • Click Update Driver Software.
    • A new windows will prompt, click Search automatically for updated driver software.

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Oct 16, 2018
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

External drive formatting issues using Windows 10

want to Format a La Cie External Drive Because the Software Genie 9 has too many versions of backup.

Hello,

To format an external USB or an external hard drive you can easily do it by accessing Computer Management. For us to assist you, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Computer Management.
    • On the left side, click on Disk Management under Storage.
    • Locate the drive that you want to format.
    • Once located, right-click on the drive and choose Format.

If the hard drive has not been formatted with the steps that we have provided above, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your hard drive. Some hard drive requires a software that you'll need to use just to format it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Oct 16, 2018
Thema:

External drive formatting issues using Windows 10

1. External drive formatting issues using Windows 10 - Similar Threads - External drive formatting

2. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  3. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  4. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External Hard Drive Format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Format: Good day everyone. I'm having difficulties with formatting my external hard drive. For the past 2-3 days, I've been trying to format it. It started acting up after sending 2 files of about 5gb each, I transferred these files at night, then the following day, it doesn't show...
  6. Formatting an External Drive - HELP!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Formatting an External Drive - HELP!!: I want to format an external HD that I'd originally set up as a bootable backup of my laptop HD. In Disk Management the drive appears as Disk 1 Healthy (GPT Protective Partition). My laptop's HD is Disk 0. When I right click on Disk 1 all options are greyed out except for...
  7. Which format for an external drive

Which format for an external drive: I just bought a Seagate portable USB hard drive. It was supplied formatted as an ex-FAT drive. I changed this to NTFS. What's the 'best' format to use for external drives for Windows 10 use only? 139483
  8. Format external hard drive

Format external hard drive: I’d like to format an external hard drive in windows 10. Please, give me instructions. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-external-hard-drive/ceefbfcb-e153-43f1-aa11-66086963ac41"
  9. Format external hard drive

Format external hard drive: I’d like to format an external hard drive in windows 10. Please, give me instructions. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-external-hard-drive/78657fa9-d525-422d-a53a-44d4f459d0b4"
  10. Formatting External hard drive

Formatting External hard drive: Hi, I'm trying to reformat an external hard drive I own, when I go to disk management and right click the drive their is no format option. Not like it is grayed out and cannot click on it, it just isn't there. Anyone have any suggestions?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. External drive formatting issues using Windows 10