Windows 10: External Drive Formatting Questions Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook

Discus and support External Drive Formatting Questions Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; HelloLooking to use a single External Hard Drive just under 1TB to share - i.e. to 'read' & 'write' - various 'File Types' such as Word, Excel, PDF,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Pixelme, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Pixelme Win User

External Drive Formatting Questions Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook

HelloLooking to use a single External Hard Drive just under 1TB to share - i.e. to 'read' & 'write' - various 'File Types' such as Word, Excel, PDF, .ems, Notability etc between a Windows PC AND a MacBook.Seems that an External Hard Drive formatted with NTFS can be 'read' to and 'edited' by a MacBook, but not 'written' back to the same External Drive once edited on the MacBook. Therefore, on my Windows 10 PC, I formatted my External Hard Drive to 'exFat', However - after doing that - when I then proceeded still using the same Windows PC to add the files' I wanted to share betwee

:)

Pixelme, Oct 20, 2021

2. external drive and encryption?

This question is two-fold.

First I would like an external enclosure that is rugged and shock resistant (static electricity and the like, being winter and all) for a 3.5inch SATA drive.
    Barring that, an external drive with the above. What would you guys recommend?

Also, I was wondering, is there a tool to encrypt the entire hard drive, but that does NOT ask to format said encrypted disk? I tried TrueCrypt, and last time I did, it asked me to format the drive because it was not recognized. I know there are alternatives, but I forgot their names. Price is of no concern if it is able to do so. any suggestions? Does Windows not show "drive must be formatted" on TrueCrypt drives anymore?

Best way would be if I plug in the drive, it asks for password automatically or something...

speedy11131, Oct 20, 2021
  3. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Oct 20, 2021
  4. External Drive Formatting Questions Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook

saving and viewing files on an external hard drive

Hi Sam,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Yes, you may format the external hard drive. Follow the below steps.

• Connect the external hard drive to Windows 10 computer.

• Press Windows + E keys on the keyboard to the keyboard to open the file explorer.

• Locate the external hard drive on left navigation pane in File explorer.

• Right click on the external hard drive and click on
      Format

• Click Start and follow on screen instructions to format the hard drive.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Oct 20, 2021
Thema:

External Drive Formatting Questions Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook

1. External Drive Formatting Questions Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook - Similar Threads - External Drive Formatting

2. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  3. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  4. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook

Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook: HelloLooking to use an External Hard Drive just under 1TB to share - i.e. to 'read' & 'write' - various 'File Types' such as Word, Excel, PDF, .ems, Notability etc between a Windows PC AND a MacBook.Seems that files, on an External Hard Drive formatted to NTFS, can be 'read...
  6. Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook: HelloLooking to use an External Hard Drive just under 1TB to share - i.e. to 'read' & 'write' - various 'File Types' such as Word, Excel, PDF, .ems, Notability etc between a Windows PC AND a MacBook.Seems that files, on an External Hard Drive formatted to NTFS, can be 'read...
  7. Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook

8. External Drive Formatting Questions Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook

External Drive Formatting Questions Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook: HelloLooking to use a single External Hard Drive just under 1TB to share - i.e. to 'read' & 'write' - various 'File Types' such as Word, Excel, PDF, .ems, Notability etc between a Windows PC AND a MacBook.Seems that an External Hard Drive formatted to NTFS can be 'read' to...
  9. External Drive Formatting Questions Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook

External Drive Formatting Questions Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook: HelloLooking to use a single External Hard Drive just under 1TB to share - i.e. to 'read' & 'write' - various 'File Types' such as Word, Excel, PDF, .ems, Notability etc between a Windows PC AND a MacBook.Seems that an External Hard Drive formatted with NTFS can be 'read' to...
  10. External Hard drive sharing question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External Hard drive sharing question: Hi there i was wondering you can help me. On my PC, i have setup an external hardrive so it is visible on a network and accesible via a smart hisense TV. Normally it works great but the past few days i have noticed that if i am watching something via the TV on my external...