Windows 10: External drive inaccessible and causes computer to freeze

Discus and support External drive inaccessible and causes computer to freeze in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi! I have a Seagate external drive (2TB) which is causing me trouble. It is found and listed as Healthy by windows and I can see it's folders,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Suui, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Suui Win User

External drive inaccessible and causes computer to freeze

Hi!

I have a Seagate external drive (2TB) which is causing me trouble. It is found and listed as Healthy by windows and I can see it's folders, however if I attempt to access any of them explorer freezes. I've tried it in Windows 10, Linux Manjaro and Linux Mint with similar results. It is by no means an old drive. It started happening after an accidental reboot occurred as I was moving files.

I have tried:
    • chkdsk through terminal and gui and both were unable to run, asking me to restart the process and try again.
    • Gparted and SeaTools (the former never completes it's disk scan and the latter doesn't find it).
    • Multiple USB ports, machines and operating systems.

The disk is formatted as exFAT. It spins up and as I said is recognizable by windows as Healthy. It is likely that it would work if I formatted it however it currently holds valuable data which I have no backup of. Any assistance recovering these files would be very much appreciated.

:)

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Nov 24, 2018
  3. Computer freezes and Explorer doen't respond when I plug an external Hard drive

Hello jobkakule,

The issue is possibly caused by corrupted data or bad sectors on your external hard drive or could be a sign of a failing hard drive.

To better assist you with your concern, I'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    1. Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    2. Click OK.
    • Have you tried plugging your external hard drive to a different USB port? Also, check if you can access the drive by plugging it to a different computer.
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

Meanwhile, I'd suggest to repair the bad sectors on your external hard drive. Kindly refer to the steps below:

(Let's just assume that the drive letter for your external hard drive is E. If not, please do change it to the correct drive letter)

1. Plug in your external hard drive. Click on Start, search for
    Command Prompt, right-click on it and select Run as administrator.

2. Type in the following command below and press Enter after each command:

Chkdsk /f E:

Chkdsk /r E:

3. Reboot your computer after the scan is completed.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Nov 24, 2018
  4. External drive inaccessible and causes computer to freeze

Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

Home - Global Support - FR

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Nov 24, 2018
Thema:

External drive inaccessible and causes computer to freeze

1. External drive inaccessible and causes computer to freeze - Similar Threads - External drive inaccessible

2. External drive causing problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drive causing problems: Im using windows 11, with an external harddrive, serato dj and a numark controller, i store all my music on the external drive, i use i tunes for librarys, the external harddrive keeps sycing or checking the library to back it up, which causes the serato programme to freeze...
  3. External drive causing problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External drive causing problems: Im using windows 11, with an external harddrive, serato dj and a numark controller, i store all my music on the external drive, i use i tunes for librarys, the external harddrive keeps sycing or checking the library to back it up, which causes the serato programme to freeze...
  4. External Hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive freezes computer: Hi, I have this external hard drive that freezes my computer every time I plug it in. Iv had it for about 3 weeks now and would really like to not have to buy a another one. I dont mine if I have to lose data on it to get it back, I have tried to look up how to fix it but...
  5. External Hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard drive freezes computer: Hi, I have this external hard drive that freezes my computer every time I plug it in. Iv had it for about 3 weeks now and would really like to not have to buy a another one. I dont mine if I have to lose data on it to get it back, I have tried to look up how to fix it but...
  6. External Hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File History external hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History external hard drive freezes computer: FYI - After switching to Windows 10 I chose to try File History to backup my data files. When the external hard drive is connected, my computer will freeze whenever the hard drive light is on. I am using a Dell laptop with wireless mouse and keyboard through a Dell "docking"...
  8. Inaccessible Boot Device on External TB3 drive

Inaccessible Boot Device on External TB3 drive: Running Windows 10 on a Macbook Pro Bootcamp partition. Trying to install WIndows 10 on an external Thunderbolt 3 drive. Managed to get it installed using WintoUSB, but when I try to boot from it, I get an "Inaccessible Boot Device" blue screen and am forced to restart....
  9. External drive freezes computer

External drive freezes computer: All of a sudden, a 2Tb Seagate Back Up Plus Portable Drive temporarily slow down and even froze my Desktop computer. I can see the drive and his folders, but I cannot copy or transfer files. Also it can not be properly disconnect from the computer, and I have to suspend the...
  10. External hard drive is inaccessible

External hard drive is inaccessible: I have a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2TB USB 3.0 external hard drive that I use to store (majority) videos and documents. A few days ago it started giving me this error for every folder and file, and eventually just from trying to access the hard drive itself from This PC:...