Windows 10: External drive is recognized but I can’t access it

Discus and support External drive is recognized but I can’t access it in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I sometimes use my iPod Classic as an external drive and have never had issues. The iPod works fine. iTunes recognizes it and I can add music with no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/osowavy, Jan 20, 2020.

1. External drive is recognized but I can’t access it

I sometimes use my iPod Classic as an external drive and have never had issues. The iPod works fine. iTunes recognizes it and I can add music with no issue. When I plug it in, Windows recognizes it and it even has the icon of an iPod rather than a hard drive. However it doesn’t show how much space it has like it does for my other drives and when I try to open it, nothing happens. When I unplug it I get an error message saying it can’t be opened.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I’m assuming this is an issue I could have with any external drive and not just my iPod.

EDIT: I plugged the iPod into a different computer and it’s working fine as an external drive, so it’s something going on with my main computer.

submitted by /u/osowavy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/osowavy, Jan 20, 2020
  2. Eric Ber Win User

External Drive "not accessible"

Hi,

Corrupted USB controller is one of the possible reasons why you are unable to access your external hard drive. We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided in this

link
    to resolve the issue.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Jan 21, 2020
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Problem accessing partition on External Drive

Hi,

Corrupted USB controller is one of the possible reasons why you are unable to access your external hard drive. We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided in this

link
    to resolve the issue.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Jan 21, 2020
  4. External drive is recognized but I can’t access it

External Hard Drive "is not accessible"

Hi Ridhwan,

Sorry for the delayed response. Let me continue to assist you further.

The issue here could have been due to fact that the Drive I:\ is encrypted or a flush drive. This forces the computer to not recognize the format and displays the error message. I suggest here to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows Key + letter 'X.'
    • Choose 'Disk Management.'
    • Right click on the External drive and select 'Change Drive letter and Path names.'
    • Rename the drive letter i.e. remove letter I and say you replace it with letter
      J.
    • Restart the computer and check the issue status.

Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arvind Ram, Jan 21, 2020
Thema:

External drive is recognized but I can’t access it

1. External drive is recognized but I can’t access it - Similar Threads - External drive recognized

2. external hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not recognized: i recentley came accross a hard drive i had from and old Acer laptop, i think it had windows 7 or 8 on it, so i bought a SATA to USB 3.0, 2.5 inc case and plugged it in to the mac that i have been using for 3 years now, in finder there it was marked Acer open it up and could...
  3. External drive not recognized

External drive not recognized: I have an external drive that is not being recognized. I have unplugged it and and plugged it back in and still not being recognized. I see it listed in device manager and it says it is working properly. In disk management it says Disk 1 Unknown not initialized. I have...
  4. External Hard drive Not recognized

External Hard drive Not recognized: The device I am trying to install is an external hard drive I purchased from thee MAC store Backup Plus Portable Drive. I have tried all three methods stated above and non of them worked for me. In particular in regards to method 3 I have downloaded and installed the...
  5. EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED

EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED: After my laptop updated to Windows 10 version 1909, it no longer recognized my 1tb Toshiba Canvio external drive. I need help resolving this issue, because all of my school work and other important things are on the drive....
  6. External drive beeping not recognized

External drive beeping not recognized: I have a backup Toshiba 3 tb external drive just beeps and not recognized by w10 dell * Moved from Community Participation Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive-beeping-not-recognized/97e718b8-83ae-4dbb-be0a-4e9c714db2ed
  7. w10 not recognizing external drive

w10 not recognizing external drive: w10 not recognizing external drive what do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-not-recognizing-external-drive/cc0b7afb-b17a-4a90-ae61-0c57e8a8cb35
  8. external hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external hard drive not recognized: I had storage spaces From windows 8.1 that computer went down I moved Storage spaces to another computer. windows 10 machine. Everything works. I was able to Copy those files to another drives. now I want to reuse those drives but only let me rename it not to remove. I...
  9. External Drives not recognized

External Drives not recognized: My external hard drive and USB storage device both not working properly(Windows 10 Ver. 10.0.1734 if that helps any). Have tried restarting, updating drivers etc.. Devices show in Disk Management and Devices and Printers but can't open or save anything to either of them....
  10. external hard drive not recognized

external hard drive not recognized: I have two Western Digital 300GB, USB3, external drives. Suddenly both are not recognized by Windows. 1) Neither appear as a drive in File Explorer 2) Device Manager reports that the "device is working properly", and the drivers are up to date. There is a message in...