Windows 10: External drive lost gb availability

Discus and support External drive lost gb availability in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently purchased a Dell 5570-win10. Not sure I like 10 as much as seven but guess I'll get used to it. Anyway, I had a 160gb hp external drive. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by patriceltic, Dec 12, 2018.

1. External drive lost gb availability

I recently purchased a Dell 5570-win10. Not sure I like 10 as much as seven but guess I'll get used to it. Anyway, I had a 160gb hp external drive. I stupidly used it as a recovery drive for this new Dell not realizing it would not be available for anything else to be stored on it. I managed to format it and it is now clean however, the properties now say it is 39GB. I don't understand what changed - is there any way I can restore it to its full gb availability? Thanks

:)

patriceltic, Dec 12, 2018

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Dec 12, 2018
  3. Toshiba External Drive wont respond even though it connects

Hi,

Thank you for coming back to us with the information.

Let’s check if this is an issue with external drive. I would suggest you to connect the external drive in different computer and check if you are able to open the drive.

Meanwhile, I suggest you to run check disk on the hard drive to see if there are any corruptions. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

chkdsk /f
    Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be lost.

Once Check Disk completes, boot the computer and then check.

Hope this information is helpful. Let us know the status.

Billion Debbarma, Dec 12, 2018
  4. Remon Ont Win User

External drive lost gb availability

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

External drive lost gb availability

1. External drive lost gb availability - Similar Threads - External drive lost

2. I lost 30 gb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost 30 gb: I installed windows media tool on a flash drive and i lost 30 gb of my pc s storage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-30-gb/021cea37-8093-4dbb-aaa2-31131fcce3a6
  3. Location not available on E: External Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Location not available on E: External Drive: Scenario 1When my system boots up Windows 10 OS, the first window pops up is as per the screenshot below -I cannot access any files on the entire folder/file structure or C: drive. Even on clicking Ok, it disallows.As soon as I connect my external hard drive, which has the...
  4. Location not available on E: External Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Location not available on E: External Drive: Scenario 1When my system boots up Windows 10 OS, the first window pops up is as per the screenshot below -I cannot access any files on the entire folder/file structure or C: drive. Even on clicking Ok, it disallows.As soon as I connect my external hard drive, which has the...
  5. Location not available on E: External Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive: I plugged my external hard drive into my computer. I asked me if I wanted to encrypt the hard drive and I said yes. It gave me an error saying that it could not encrypt it because it had boot up files on it. Now the external drive cannot be recognized on any computer I plug...
  7. 500 GB Toshiba External Hard Drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    500 GB Toshiba External Hard Drive.: Hi can anyone please help. Recently purchased the above unit, and it worked 100%, recently tried to backup my new computer [Windows 10 -Lenovo} and I now find, that my ex.hardrive only shows - 35 gb of free space it should be showing 465 gb ??????? .Please help/advise....
  8. External hard drive storage lost

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive storage lost: Hello! My name is donald and i need your help like seriously... I tried to format my HD of 1TB that was in exfat to NTFS but it didn’t achieve and i couldn’t have access to it no more, i tried to check on ease partition what was going on and i saw my HD when unallocated and...
  9. Is there a limit in GB/TB external drive to be used on a Laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is there a limit in GB/TB external drive to be used on a Laptop: On a laptop there is one USB C-port, two USB 3 ports and a normal USB port. I got external drives such as 1, 2 TB, 2, 500 GB x2, 3. 250 GB x2 all these use some kind of power right? I wonder if there is any limit in Bytes MB/GB/TB I can use on one laptop? Or using more (I...
  10. Is there a limit in GB/TB external drive to be used on a Laptoop

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a limit in GB/TB external drive to be used on a Laptoop: On a laptop there is one USB C-port, two USB 3 ports and a normal USB port. I got external drives such as 1, 2 TB, 2, 500 GB x2, 3. 250 GB x2 all these use some kind of power right? I wonder if there is any limit in Bytes MB/GB/TB I can use on one laptop? Or using more (I...