Windows 10: External drive mapped to folder has driver problem

Discus and support External drive mapped to folder has driver problem in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; In Windows 10 Pro, I have a 500 GB SSD as C:, a 3 TB partitioned into D:, E:, and F:, a 4 TB as G:, and a 3 TB as H:. My Synology NAS has 3 partitions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dvongrad, Feb 5, 2019.

1. dvongrad Win User

External drive mapped to folder has driver problem

In Windows 10 Pro, I have a 500 GB SSD as C:, a 3 TB partitioned into D:, E:, and F:, a 4 TB as G:, and a 3 TB as H:. My Synology NAS has 3 partitions as V:, W:, and X:. I have 2 CD/DVD RW as Y: and Z:. I have 13 external HDDs and SSDs in various drive bays and enclosures that I could map as I: through U: which would then fill all my drive letters except A: and B:, but then I would have no letters available for a 5-in-1 card reader or USB sticks.

So I map the 13 drives to "drive name" folders in C:\HDD like C:\HDD\WD 2000 and leave I: to U: for the card reader and USB sticks as needed. However, ALL folder mapped drives are being reported as having a device driver error in Device performance and health even though the drives work perfectly fine and are being reported as healthy in Disk Management.

Is there a way to "fix" this error with some driver update, system setting, or telling the system to ignore this error permanently? Or is this a bug in Windows 10 Pro that I just have to live with?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and possible solutions.

:)

dvongrad, Feb 5, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Feb 5, 2019
  3. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Feb 5, 2019
  4. External drive mapped to folder has driver problem

External drive

You've mentioned that you were able to try some of the troubleshooting steps that was provided by a Microsoft online agent, we'd like to know if you were able to roll back the said driver as well. If not, kindly follow the steps listed below and check if
    it helps to resolve the issue:

• Press Windows Key + X then select Device Manager from the list.
    • Locate the external driver and right-click to open the Properties option.
    • Go to the Driver tab and click the Roll Back Driver button. Click
      OK.

Note: The Roll Back Driver button is only available if a previous version of the driver was installed. If the current driver for the device is the only one that was ever installed on this computer, then the Roll Back Driver button is not enabled.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Eileen Gal, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

External drive mapped to folder has driver problem

1. External drive mapped to folder has driver problem - Similar Threads - External drive mapped

2. Problems mapping network drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems mapping network drive: Hi guys,I've got an external USB 3 HDD hooked to a USB port on my old router. I recently upgraded to a WiFi 6 mesh system that doesn't have any USB. I have the old router plugged into the new one and the port setup in both the new and old routers. I have successfully added...
  3. Problems mapping network drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems mapping network drive: Hi guys,I've got an external USB 3 HDD hooked to a USB port on my old router. I recently upgraded to a WiFi 6 mesh system that doesn't have any USB. I have the old router plugged into the new one and the port setup in both the new and old routers. I have successfully added...
  4. Problems mapping network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Problems with mapped drive

Problems with mapped drive: I have a mapped drive in Windows 10 that works when doing anything within the drive itself, viewing, editing, deleting etc. But when I try and copy to or from the mapped drive I get and error. [img] The mapped disk is on an old legacy box running XP that we are trying to...
  6. Problems with mapped drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with mapped drive: I have a mapped drive in Windows 10 that works when doing anything within the drive itself, viewing, editing, deleting etc. But when I try and copy to or from the mapped drive I get and error. [img] The mapped disk is on an old legacy box running XP that we are trying to...
  7. File history of an external drive with path mapped to a folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history of an external drive with path mapped to a folder: In order to get my huge iTunes library to work at a reasonable speed I mapped an 8 TB external drive which had previously had a letter assigned I'll call it the M: drive to a folder on my computer's internal C: drive using the Disk Management program. The M: drive has all...
  8. Problem with mapped folders

Problem with mapped folders: Hi, I have a problem with mapped drives ,i connected a hard disk to my router and share folders over my network, when i set mapped drives few days ago everything was working fine, but now they look fine but in some folders it shows that folder is empty but it is not, and...
  9. map external drive and remap internal drive or substitute a folder

map external drive and remap internal drive or substitute a folder: I have a SSD for C: and internal Drive D: I would like to create 2 batch files that I start manually. How to: 1. If I connect my external drive I want the internal drive become E: and the external should be D: On another PC: 2. Let's say I have a folder...
  10. map external drive and remap internal drive or substitute a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    map external drive and remap internal drive or substitute a folder: I have a SSD for C:, an internal Drive D: How to: 1. If I connect my external drive I want the internal drive become E: and the external should be D: On another PC: 2. Let's say I have a folder C:\folder1\folder2. If I connect my external drive I want it to be mapped to...