Windows 10: External Drive MBR is Corrupt

Discus and support External Drive MBR is Corrupt in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, My external disk drive MBR is corrupt. The drive is reported as file system RAW in the disk management utility. Full details are: Layout:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TonyGMi, Jun 19, 2019.

1. TonyGMi Win User

External Drive MBR is Corrupt

Hi,

My external disk drive MBR is corrupt. The drive is reported as file system RAW in the disk management utility. Full details are:

Layout: Simple, Type: Basic, File System: RAW, Status: Heathy (Active Primary Partition) Capacity: 372.61 GB.

The Active primary partition may be my fault, trying to fix the drive.

Any help or point towards tools that would fix the MBR would be great.

I have a Windows 10 and Windows 7 PC that I can connect it to for repair.

Many thanks in advance, Tony.

:)

TonyGMi, Jun 19, 2019

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Jun 19, 2019
  3. CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

Hi Leenus,

Hard drive and other external memory storage can be corrupted on account of bad sectors which are no longer accessible or writable due to permanent damage. Your device or hard drive could also be infected by some type of malware. These are some of the possible
    causes why you are experiencing the error "ERROR 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable". To address this concern, we suggest performing the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1

Check and repair disk errors or corrupted file system. This process can fix "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error caused by bad sectors, virus infection or file system corruption. To do so, follow these steps:

• Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Using Search, type CMD.
    • From the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and then choose Run as administrator.
    • On the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk /f h: (h stands for your hard drive) and then hit the Enter key.
    • Delete the corrupted file and check if you'll experience the same error.

Method 2

Format the hard drive. You can manually format the hard drive to permanently remove "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error. These are the steps on how to format an external drive:

• Plug the hard drive into your computer.
    • Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Open File Explorer and then click This PC.
    • Click the external hard drive's name, click on Manage tab and then click on Format.
    • Click Start and then click OK.

Keep us updated with the result.

Darleen Pen, Jun 19, 2019
  4. External Drive MBR is Corrupt

CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

I had the very same problem and this worked perfectly!!!

PaulMisener, Jun 19, 2019
Thema:

External Drive MBR is Corrupt

1. External Drive MBR is Corrupt - Similar Threads - External Drive MBR

2. Removing a corrupt file on an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing a corrupt file on an external drive: I have a corrupt file on a SanDisk drive that I need to erase. attached is an image of my problem. Can anyone suggest a way to remove this folder and file?...
  3. External Hard drive corrupted?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive corrupted?: I have a 4tb WD My Book external hard drive. It was used for external storage on my Xbox One, One X, and I have since upgraded to a Series S system. When I first connected it to the Series S it worked just fine, but when doing initial downloading and moving around games to...
  4. Potentially Corrupted External Hard Drive

Potentially Corrupted External Hard Drive: Hello,I have a Seagate 1TB External SSD. I was copying some files onto it when I bumped the USB cable lose and it interrupted the copy and corrupted the hard drive. It won't recognize on my laptop when I plug it in doesn't show up in the File Explorer, Disk Manager, or Device...
  5. External hard drive broken/corrupted?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hard drive broken/corrupted?: [ATTACH] External hard drive shows up as local disk. When I click on it, the drive gets stuck on loading and makes my computer slow down. Crashes if I click anywhere on file explorer. I can't even turn on my computer when the external hard drive is plugged in. When it's...
  6. External Drives Corrupted By Windows 10

External Drives Corrupted By Windows 10: I am a Windows 10 Currently V1909 18363.778 who has used external hard drives for backup for a number of years. I have never had a drive problem in over 10 years, and tend to phase out old drives to avoid issues. In the last two days I have had 2 drives become unreadable...
  7. External drives being corrupted

External drives being corrupted: Hi, I don't remember ever posting here or how it works but I'm hoping someone may help. In the last few months, connecting my USB (different brands and sizes) and WD Passport 500GB to my laptop has been causing them to have errors etc. This has caused partial or total...
  8. External dvd drive corrupt

External dvd drive corrupt: I have an old HP dvd 1170 usb external drive and it is self powered. When it is plugged in to the computer it makes the computer hang on the Dell logo screen and will not boot. If I unplug it the computer will boot on up. If I plug it in after windows boots I get a message...
  9. Corrupt MBR

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Corrupt MBR: I am having a problem booting on Windows 10. Attempting to boot brings it to Windows RE. I found the following suggestions to correct the issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update-winpc/mbr-corrupt/0d38a383-7ff7-4771-98df-a9c7e561c02a...
  10. Format mbr external drive to gpt

Format mbr external drive to gpt: I was recently instructed how to format a GPT external drive to MBR.It was 4 terabytes and now is only 2 terabytes.I understand why because it was explained on this site.What I would like to know is can I format it back to MBR so I can get the 4 terabytes back.Hope I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. format drive mbr corrupt