Windows 10: External Drive No Longer Being Recognized

Discus and support External Drive No Longer Being Recognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have been using an external drive with my computer for a while now, but lately my computer has been having difficulty recognizing that it is plugged... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Necrikus, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Necrikus Win User

External Drive No Longer Being Recognized

I have been using an external drive with my computer for a while now, but lately my computer has been having difficulty recognizing that it is plugged in. I know for a fact that power is being given to the external drive because it lights up and I can feel it running. Likewise, I am able to plug the external drive into another computer and it works fine on that.

So far I have tried a few basics.

• Unplugging and replugging in the external drive.
    • Tried other USB ports.
    • Shut down and restart my computer.
    • Looked for it in Disk Management (it doesn't appear there).
    • Wait for a little while before trying one of the above again.

Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

:)

Necrikus, Dec 23, 2018

2. External usb drive no longer recognized by W10 backup

Hi Rob,

Maybe my post was not clear enough. Your suggestions only work when the external drive is actually recognized by the backup program, which is not the case (see the title of my post).

Do you have any suggestions about how to get w10 backup to recognize my drive? I can use the drive and see it in the file explorer, but the backup program doesn't see it.

Jo

JoLouvenberg, Dec 23, 2018
  3. External hard drive no longer recognized

Hello,

This issue could be due to the external Hard driver is outdated.

A quick question before we proceed:

• Are you able to see the hard drive in the Disk management?
    You may follow the steps below to check that:

• Press Windows + R key.

• Type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter.

Meanwhile let’s try the simple troubleshooting methods and check if it helps resolving the issue. Follow the below methods.

Method 1:

I suggest you to run Hardware troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.
    • Click on Small icon on the left navigation pane.
    • Click on Troubleshooting and click on
      Hardware and Device.
    • Click on Advanced on the Hardware troubleshooter dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).
    • Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Hardware troubleshooter.
    I the issue still persist try the below method.

Method 2:

I recommend you to download the latest updated driver for the External hard drive from the hard drive manufacturer website and install the same.

Note: Make sure you provide the correct model number.

Hope this helps. Post us with status we will be glad to help you

Anju Thekkethil, Dec 23, 2018
  4. External Drive No Longer Being Recognized

External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Dec 23, 2018
Thema:

External Drive No Longer Being Recognized

1. External Drive No Longer Being Recognized - Similar Threads - External Drive Longer

2. External hard drive not being recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive not being recognized: MYBook external hard drive is not being recognized by my PC. What can I do? The power light is on but nothing comes up and I can't open it up to see data. I have tried numerous things....full of memories and pictures. Please help...
  3. External hard drive not being recognized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive not being recognized: MYBook external hard drive is not being recognized by my PC. What can I do? The power light is on but nothing comes up and I can't open it up to see data. I have tried numerous things....full of memories and pictures. Please help...
  4. External monitor not being recognized

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External monitor not being recognized: Hi guys, I have an HP 8570w elitebook Win10 with a Nvidia K2000M graphics card. For years my Philips 274E 27'' monitor was working just fine. Since a month ago, I have no idea what happened but my monitor is not recognized. When I plug the display adapter, sometimes it works...
  5. External drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive not recognized: I have an external drive that is not being recognized. I have unplugged it and and plugged it back in and still not being recognized. I see it listed in device manager and it says it is working properly. In disk management it says Disk 1 Unknown not initialized. I have...
  6. Seagate External Drive no longer being recognized in Windows 10?

Seagate External Drive no longer being recognized in Windows 10?: I have a Seagate Backup Plus Slim External Drive that is no longer being recognized in Windows 10,it works fine in Windows 7,8 and on other computers/devices but ever since I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro I have been having this issue and it is still not...
  7. External HDD no longer being recognized in Windows 10?

External HDD no longer being recognized in Windows 10?: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Ultimate and now my Seagate USB HDD is no longer being recognized,no drive letters show at all but it is showing that it is plugged in on the task bar and is showing in "Device Manager" as plugged in and enabled but in...
  8. EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED

EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED: After my laptop updated to Windows 10 version 1909, it no longer recognized my 1tb Toshiba Canvio external drive. I need help resolving this issue, because all of my school work and other important things are on the drive....
  9. Password Protected External Drive Stopped being Recognized

Password Protected External Drive Stopped being Recognized: I had a password protected drive that worked fine until it didn't anymore. Not an old drive, but yesterday the computer stopped recognizing the drive. USB Controllers shows Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). I've tried uninstalling, and searching for...
  10. External Drives not recognized

External Drives not recognized: My external hard drive and USB storage device both not working properly(Windows 10 Ver. 10.0.1734 if that helps any). Have tried restarting, updating drivers etc.. Devices show in Disk Management and Devices and Printers but can't open or save anything to either of them....