Windows 10: External drive not recognized after accidentally disconnect.

Discus and support External drive not recognized after accidentally disconnect. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Silicon Power A62 external drive and installed some programs in it. I was playing a game when I accidentally disconnected it and crashed the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Chara-cter, May 25, 2023.

1. External drive not recognized after accidentally disconnect.

I have a Silicon Power A62 external drive and installed some programs in it. I was playing a game when I accidentally disconnected it and crashed the game. When I connected the drive back to my PC, it no longer shows up in the Devices and Drivers section, but the light is still on and it's still visible in Device and Printer, though nothing is visible anymore. I have tried connecting the drive to my Macbook but the same thing happened. Is this a hardware or software-related issue and is it recoverable? I would like to know how to save the drive if possible. Thank you

:)

Chara-cter, May 25, 2023

2. External drive not recognized

I have an external drive that is not being recognized. I have unplugged it and and plugged it back in and still not being recognized. I see it listed in device manager and it says it is working properly. In disk management it says Disk 1 Unknown not initialized.
    I have tried changing drive letters not able to do that. This happened when I disconnected an hdmi cable, The external drive stopped responded at that point so I unplugged it but when In plugged it back it is not being recognized. I can feel the disk spinning
    so it is working. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

stevemoss2, May 25, 2023
  3. Zaki_j Win User
    Toshiba external hard drive not recognized

Hi Philip,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the external hard drive is not recognized by the PC. I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.
    It would be great if you can answer these questions to assist you in a better way.

• Did you try connecting the Hardrive to different USB Port?
    • Does the Hardrive get detected if you try connecting it to a different PC?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer recently?

I suggest you refer and follow the steps mentioned in the KB article and check if that resolves the issueError:
    “USB Device not recognized” when you try to access a USB external hard drive

Note: Ignore method 2 & 5 from the above article.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Zaki

Zaki_j, May 25, 2023
  4. External drive not recognized after accidentally disconnect.

External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, May 25, 2023
Thema:

External drive not recognized after accidentally disconnect.

1. External drive not recognized after accidentally disconnect. - Similar Threads - External drive recognized

2. External drive not recognized after accidentally disconnect.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drive not recognized after accidentally disconnect.: I have a Silicon Power A62 external drive and installed some programs in it. I was playing a game when I accidentally disconnected it and crashed the game. When I connected the drive back to my PC, it no longer shows up in the Devices and Drivers section, but the light is...
  3. External drive not recognized after accidentally disconnect.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External drive not recognized after accidentally disconnect.: I have a Silicon Power A62 external drive and installed some programs in it. I was playing a game when I accidentally disconnected it and crashed the game. When I connected the drive back to my PC, it no longer shows up in the Devices and Drivers section, but the light is...
  4. Lost access to folder. Old external drive accidentally disconnected while setting...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost access to folder. Old external drive accidentally disconnected while setting...: Hi there, I've attached an old hard drive to my pc and I've started a process for granting full control on folder USERS to my userid. Windows 10 was happily granting the permissions to the folders and files under USERS when, accidentally, the external hard drive got...
  5. Lost access to folder. Old external drive accidentally disconnected while setting...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost access to folder. Old external drive accidentally disconnected while setting...: Hi there, I've attached an old hard drive to my pc and I've started a process for granting full control on folder USERS to my userid. Windows 10 was happily granting the permissions to the folders and files under USERS when, accidentally, the external hard drive got...
  6. Lost access to folder. Old external drive accidentally disconnected while setting...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. External drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive not recognized: I have an external drive that is not being recognized. I have unplugged it and and plugged it back in and still not being recognized. I see it listed in device manager and it says it is working properly. In disk management it says Disk 1 Unknown not initialized. I have...
  8. EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED

EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED: After my laptop updated to Windows 10 version 1909, it no longer recognized my 1tb Toshiba Canvio external drive. I need help resolving this issue, because all of my school work and other important things are on the drive....
  9. External Drives not recognized

External Drives not recognized: My external hard drive and USB storage device both not working properly(Windows 10 Ver. 10.0.1734 if that helps any). Have tried restarting, updating drivers etc.. Devices show in Disk Management and Devices and Printers but can't open or save anything to either of them....
  10. External Hard Drive Disconnected.

External Hard Drive Disconnected.: I tried to format my external hard drive to clear it out so I could start fresh with windows backup automatic in windows 10. Now I no longer have my (E:) drive under disk management. I have a disk 0 and 1 but do not know what they are. Under device manager it shows as...