Windows 10: External Drive Not Seen by Win 10 Pro

Discus and support External Drive Not Seen by Win 10 Pro in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have removed a functional 1TB WD SATA drive from an out-of-service Win7 Asus machine. It was the sole drive, and there are/were no jumpers set. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TechnoAmeoba, Sep 9, 2020.

1. External Drive Not Seen by Win 10 Pro

I have removed a functional 1TB WD SATA drive from an out-of-service Win7 Asus machine.

It was the sole drive, and there are/were no jumpers set.

I have put it in my functional USB Star Tech SATA/IDE disk caddy in the proper slot, but it is not seen in File explorer. Other disks I use in this caddy are seen and usable

It vibrates and I hear disk action when the power is applied.

It IS seen and identified by both the BIOS and Win Device Manager.

Win Device Manager states that it presumably the caddy already has the correct drivers.

I just cannot get it to appear in This PC/File Explorer.

Any suggestions on how I can get this to appear in File Explorer so I can use it?

Many thanks in advance!

Paul

:)

TechnoAmeoba, Sep 9, 2020

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Sep 9, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Pro and External Hard Drives...

Hello,

I recently bought a new PC with win 10 pro on board. I was disappointed to find that my Sabrent Dual Hard Drive bay as well as my Inateck external hard drive cable are not recognized by my laptop, a Lenovo Thinkpad. I had no issues with either of these external drives with Windows 7 Home Premium.

I took some advice I found in your forum and tried to find them in Disk management, but Disk Management never stops loading, so I cannot take the next step to refresh the drives.

What the heck is going on? *Mad
    Please help!

Thanks,

Mike

bigmikes76, Sep 9, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

External Drive Not Seen by Win 10 Pro

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Sep 9, 2020
Thema:

External Drive Not Seen by Win 10 Pro

1. External Drive Not Seen by Win 10 Pro - Similar Threads - External Drive Pro

2. External drives not being seen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drives not being seen: A bit of a weird one. I started noticing that my Western Digital drive wasn't being seen by my PC. Thought it could be the USB port or cable as a Freecom external drive was working ok. Then a friends WD external drive wasn't being seen at all. The other week I plugged in a...
  3. External drives not being seen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External drives not being seen: A bit of a weird one. I started noticing that my Western Digital drive wasn't being seen by my PC. Thought it could be the USB port or cable as a Freecom external drive was working ok. Then a friends WD external drive wasn't being seen at all. The other week I plugged in a...
  4. External drives not being seen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External drive not seen - best way forward?

External drive not seen - best way forward?: Hi I've had a few external USB drives die on me lately. One of them wasn't fully backed-up, so I'm looking for the best way to try and recover the data. The disk is a 5TB Seagate Backup-plus (2.5 inch) USB3-connected drive. The data on it isn't really all _that_ important (I...
  6. External drive not seen - best way forward?

in Windows 10 Support
    External drive not seen - best way forward?: Hi I've had a few external USB drives die on me lately. One of them wasn't fully backed-up, so I'm looking for the best way to try and recover the data. The disk is a 5TB Seagate Backup-plus (2.5 inch) USB3-connected drive. The data on it isn't really all _that_ important (I...
  7. External drive docking port not seen

External drive docking port not seen: Hello, I recently purchased a "All In 1 HDD Docking" device. It has ability to slide in either a SATA or an IDE disk drive and connects via USB. It also has ports for SD cards and memory sticks, and also 2 USB ports for thumb drives. On my PC, the SD and thumb drive...
  8. Bitlocker Stuck at 62.9% in win 10 Pro on a external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker Stuck at 62.9% in win 10 Pro on a external drive: Hello, I connected by USB an external wd drive and I started the encryption on my disk and it went very well to 60% and then stoped for hours. I selected pause and after 30 minutes it did pause so I thought it was only taking more time so I selected resume, in a few...
  9. External Hard drive issue win 10 pro

External Hard drive issue win 10 pro: Hiya Guys and Gals. My old win 10 HD wouldnt boot, I tried the turn off 3 times and waited for the "Repair Screen" to appear which kinda did then went blank took about 20 mins for it too work out what job it was supposed to be doing like bringing up the options menu. I went...
  10. Win 10 Tablet with external Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Tablet with external Drive: I have a Win 10 tablet with a drive that's near full just with windows. Q: Can I install software onto an external drive that will then plug into the tablet via usb and will I be able to run it? Will may be registry problems here. 135695