Windows 10: External Drive not showing up.

Discus and support External Drive not showing up. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My external drive is not showing up in file explorer or diskmanagement. However it shows in Device Manager/Diskdrives. When I click on the properties... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DaksCruz, Dec 6, 2020.

1. DaksCruz Win User

External Drive not showing up.

My external drive is not showing up in file explorer or diskmanagement. However it shows in Device Manager/Diskdrives. When I click on the properties "This device is working properly." but on volumes tab nothing shows in disk information.

:)

DaksCruz, Dec 6, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Dec 6, 2020
  3. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Dec 6, 2020
  4. External Drive not showing up.

My External Toshiba DVD Drive doesn't show up

Hi Charsmann,

The above issue might occur if a drive letter is not allotted to the external drive.

Please reply, did you try removing and re-plugging the driver to the PC?

Since the drive shows in Device manager, I suggest you to remove the external drive and re-plug to check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, check if you are able to open the drive via
    Disk management
    by following the steps below:

• Connect the external drive to the PC, press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management option from the context menu. Check if the drive is visible in the window.
    • If visible, right click on the external drive and select Open. Check if you are able to open the drive in
      File Explorer.
    • Close the Disk management window, open File Explorer (Windows logo + E keys on the keyboard) and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of the external drive not showing in File Explorer on the PC for further assistance. Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Dec 6, 2020
Thema:

External Drive not showing up.

1. External Drive not showing up. - Similar Threads - External Drive showing

2. Format external drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Format external drive not showing up: I'm attempting to format an external drive so that I can use it with my Windows computer. I had previously used it to back up a Mac computer, so it likely has different formatting. When I attempt to format this external drive, the option to do so does not appear....
  3. Format external drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Format external drive not showing up: I'm attempting to format an external drive so that I can use it with my Windows computer. I had previously used it to back up a Mac computer, so it likely has different formatting. When I attempt to format this external drive, the option to do so does not appear....
  4. Format external drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External CD Drive not Showing Up

External CD Drive not Showing Up: Hello! I have an external CD drive but it will not show up anywhere on my computer. It can turn on and eject, and it is visible on other computers, but on my <1 year old laptop, I can't find it in "This PC", "Disc Management", "Device Manager", or anywhere else....
  6. External hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive not showing up: I just downloaded windows on a flash drive then plugged it into my pc but when i go to select where i want to download windows nothing shows up. Please help...
  7. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: Hello I have an external hard drive that worked only a few days ago perfectly,but today it doesn't show up at all under the devices and drives. The computer recognizes that it is connected to the PC. It also doesn't show in disk management. I can use minitool partition...
  8. external hard drive not showing up

external hard drive not showing up: it's not showing up at all. not in windows explorer, not in the device manager, not in disk management, it's as if i didn't even put it in. it's always worked perfectly fine on my laptop (which is what i'm using now) and i used it on my computer (windows 7) just several...
  9. External Hard Drive Not Showing UP

External Hard Drive Not Showing UP: Hello, I am using a WD external hard drive to transfer files from one Windows 10 machine to others. The first machine saw the disk fine, and I added all of the data. The next two machines saw the disk fine, and I transferred all of the date. The fourth machine does not...
  10. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: I have an external hard drive that I have used regularly with a Windows 7 machine via esata that does not show up when plugged into my Windows 10 notebook via USB. I can see it under the disk management, but there is no drive letter assigned so I cannot access it. ? 37434