Windows 10: External drive not working, unless plugged into a 5 port USB splitter

Discus and support External drive not working, unless plugged into a 5 port USB splitter in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Dell Latitude 5580, Windows 10 Pro, Version10.0.19041 Build 19041. I use it with a powered hub. For the past 3 years or so Ive used a WD 4GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RetroKeith, Jun 25, 2021.

1. External drive not working, unless plugged into a 5 port USB splitter

I have a Dell Latitude 5580, Windows 10 Pro, Version10.0.19041 Build 19041. I use it with a powered hub. For the past 3 years or so Ive used a WD 4GB My Book external drive with no trouble. The external drive has its own power supply in addition to going through the powered hub. I rarely plug it directly into the laptop. Recently, it stopped showing up in file explorer. When I needed to back up some work, I grabbed my old 1GB My Book external drive. To add it to the mix, I grabbed a 5 port USB splitter. Both drives appeared when plugged into the splitter. Doing some experimenting, my old 1GB drive will work in any port on the system. On the laptop (2 USB ports), on the powered hub (all ports). On a different powered hub, and through a brand new 4 port splitter. The newer 4GB drive will not work on any port, except my old 5 port splitter. Then it will work, no matter where the 5 port splitter is plugged in. Weird. In the end, its a workable arrangement. Should I worry that my external drive might be failing? Has anyone ever heard of this kind of flakiness in external USB drives? - - - Updated - - - I have a Dell Latitude 5580, Windows 10 Pro, Version10.0.19041 Build 19041. I use it with a powered hub. For the past 3 years or so I’ve used a WD 4GB My Book external drive with no trouble. The external drive has its own power supply in addition to going through the powered hub. I rarely plug it directly into the laptop. Recently, it stopped showing up in file explorer. When I needed to back up some work, I grabbed my old 1GB My Book external drive. To add it to the mix, I grabbed a 5 port USB splitter. Both drives appeared when plugged into the splitter. Doing some experimenting, my old 1GB drive will work in any port on the system. On the laptop (2 USB ports), on the powered hub (all ports). On a different powered hub, and through a brand new 4 port splitter. The newer 4GB drive will not work on any port, except my old 5 port splitter. Then it will work, no matter where the 5 port splitter is plugged in. Weird. In the end, it’s a workable arrangement. Should I worry that my external drive might be failing? Has anyone ever heard of this kind of flakiness in external USB drives?

:)

RetroKeith, Jun 25, 2021
  2. Klaw117 Win User

External Hard Drives Won't Work on Two Specific USB Ports

I should note that one drive is a USB 3.0 external hard drive while the other is a USB 3.1 external solid state drive. Both are being plugged into only USB 3.0 ports. The two ports that don't detect the external HDD and SSD will detect regular USB thumb drives.
    No, I have not tried different cables. However, the cables and drives work fine in other USB 3.0 ports either in the back or the front.

Nothing is listed in Disk Management.

These are getting power from the USB ports. The external HDD's LED turns on but does not spin. In other ports with the same cable, it does. The external SSD lights up too but the storage doesn't seem to be detected unless plugged into another port.

As stated above, all ports are USB 3.0.

There are no errors in the Device Manager.

Based on the questions/answers being given here. It sounds like there may be a power issue with the two USB ports. Do thumb drives and external drives have different power requirements?

Klaw117, Jun 25, 2021
  3. Ferdz Amp Win User
    Toshiba External USB drives not showing in Explorer or Disk Management Plug-in

Thank you for the update.

Looks like your system is unable to detect your external hard drive. Let's see if scanning for new hardware will fix the issue. Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Device Manager and press Enter.
    • Under Device Manager, select Action tab > Scan for hardware changes.
    • Wait for your system to install the generic driver for your device and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue still persists, we suggest that you perform the following recommendations below:

• Plug in your external USB drives to other USB device port of your system.
    • Use other USB cables for your external device to connect to your system.

Keep us updated and we will be glad to assist you further.

Ferdz Amp, Jun 25, 2021
  4. External drive not working, unless plugged into a 5 port USB splitter

Wireless Mouse stops working when external HDD plugged in to USB3 port

I have a minor but annoying problem and can't find a solution....

My wireless mouse stops working when an external USB3 HDD is plugged in to USB3 port. The mouse is about 3 feet away from the receiver.

My mouse is a Logitech M310.

• I don't have the problem if a USB 2 external HDD is connected to either a USB2 or USB3 port.
    • I have moved the mouse receiver to different ports on both the front and back of the computer but this doesn't change anything.
    • If I move the mouse very close to the receiver (a couple of inches), it works so it seems that the wireless range is reduced when the USB3 HDD is plugged in.
    • If I connect a wired mouse, it works fine.
    • I have 2 USB3 ports and the problem is the same on both.
    • If the USB3 HDD is connected to a USB2 port, the mouse works normally.
    • I changed the battery in the mouse but this didn't help.
    • the USB3 HDD is a WD Passport that is self powered through the USB port.

Any suggestions?

dsscottage, Jun 25, 2021
Thema:

External drive not working, unless plugged into a 5 port USB splitter

1. External drive not working, unless plugged into a 5 port USB splitter - Similar Threads - External drive working

2. USB-C ports don't work when devices are plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB-C ports don't work when devices are plugged in: I recently updated my computer and ever since then, any USB device no longer works with my laptop. It isn't the port as I'm still able to charge through USB-C and it isn't the devices as they work on other laptops. I've tried uninstalling USB Serial Bus Controllers, changing...
  3. USB-C ports don't work when devices are plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB-C ports don't work when devices are plugged in: I recently updated my computer and ever since then, any USB device no longer works with my laptop. It isn't the port as I'm still able to charge through USB-C and it isn't the devices as they work on other laptops. I've tried uninstalling USB Serial Bus Controllers, changing...
  4. USB-C ports don't work when devices are plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. USB 3.0 Drive is Not Working on USB 2.0 Ports

USB 3.0 Drive is Not Working on USB 2.0 Ports: I have kesu usb 3.0 scsi disk device which is working on USB 3.0 ports on my computer but not in USB 2.0 ports. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-30-drive-is-not-working-on-usb-20-ports/6fa122ce-990c-4ac8-ab92-0c456be0acaa
  6. USB port only recognizes external hard drive.

USB port only recognizes external hard drive.: One of my usb ports only recognizes 1 external hard drive. The hard drive is powered by the usb port and works in every other port. The usb port fails to recognize any other device I plug in The last USB device you connect malfunctioned. The port does however still charge...
  7. External hard drive connected by USB port

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive connected by USB port: I have this external hard drive that has been designated as F and also a removable flash drive as E. Both use USB ports and have been working. Now the computer sees neither after rebooting twice. Tried to switch the ports and drives also. Any suggestions?...
  8. Speakers will not work unless headphones are plugged in.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Speakers will not work unless headphones are plugged in.: I use a little RCA W1013DK for my college studies. Earlier on today for some odd reason my internal speakers stopped working. So after hours of checking privacy options, resetting services, going through trouble shoots, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. I plugged my...
  9. External Hard Drives Won't Work on Two Specific USB Ports

External Hard Drives Won't Work on Two Specific USB Ports: I have two external hard drives that I've usually kept plugged into two back USB ports but all of a sudden, the USB ports stopped detecting them one day. If I move them to other USB ports, they work fine. In addition, any other USB drives I plug into those two USB ports work...
  10. USB Plug in Drives

USB Plug in Drives: I am having problems in getting an External DVD Drive recognised by my laptop that is running Windows 10 with 1803. When the laptop is operating and I plug in a Canon Camera SX730-HS the File Explorer immediately recognises the camera yet when I plug in the external DVD...