Windows 10: External drive not working with Windows 10

Discus and support External drive not working with Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an external drive in an enclosure from Rocketfish model rf-hd3025. It is working find on a Windows 7 computer and I am trying to access it from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SSTraveler, Dec 15, 2018.

1. External drive not working with Windows 10

I have an external drive in an enclosure from Rocketfish model rf-hd3025. It is working find on a Windows 7 computer and I am trying to access it from a Windows 10 machine.

When I plug it in to Windows 10 machine I hear a tone but it does not autoplay and I can not see it on the file list. I tried device manager and usb driver and it does not show even hidden.

I called rocketfish and they are clueless.

Does it need an updated driver or a permission or what to make it accessible on the Windows 10 machine????

Thanks

:)

SSTraveler, Dec 15, 2018

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Dec 15, 2018
  3. Marco Gav Win User
    unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Dec 15, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

External drive not working with Windows 10

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 15, 2018
Thema:

External drive not working with Windows 10

1. External drive not working with Windows 10 - Similar Threads - External drive working

2. Windows backup to external hard drive not working in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows backup to external hard drive not working in Windows 10: Windows backup to external hard drive not working in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-backup-to-external-hard-drive-not-working/0fffeda6-4fe4-4c22-b8ea-3230d1e9e4e0
  3. Windows backup to external hard drive not working in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows backup to external hard drive not working in Windows 10: Windows backup to external hard drive not working in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-backup-to-external-hard-drive-not-working/0fffeda6-4fe4-4c22-b8ea-3230d1e9e4e0
  4. Windows backup to external hard drive not working in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External Drives Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Drives Not Working: Before anyone responds with the typical canned response delete/reinstall/check for updates, be advised this doesn't work. I have several external drives that do not work on my computer. The problem seems to coincide with the 20H2 update. My most recently used devices had...
  6. External Drives Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Drives Not Working: Before anyone responds with the typical canned response delete/reinstall/check for updates, be advised this doesn't work. I have several external drives that do not work on my computer. The problem seems to coincide with the 20H2 update. My most recently used devices had...
  7. External Drives Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. External Hard Drive working on windows 7 but not Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External Hard Drive working on windows 7 but not Windows 10: Hello guys, hope all is well. So i my old laptop were starting to crash and i backed up all my files in an external hard drive ( Storejet Transcend USB 2Tb ) and it works fine on my laptop which have windows 7 64 bit, but when i bought my new PC which have Win 10. It does not...
  9. WHAT EXTERNAL DRIVE WILL WORK IN WINDOWS 10

WHAT EXTERNAL DRIVE WILL WORK IN WINDOWS 10: What external drive will work in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-external-drive-will-work-in-windows-10/c3d8646c-a32c-4c29-bb7b-fcd3e0eedd4c
  10. External Optical Drive will not work in Windows 10

External Optical Drive will not work in Windows 10: i brought a dvd drive for my gaming pc and it cant detect the dvd its plugged in but it isnt accessible windows doesent detect it at all i went to device manager and cant find it at all please help....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. rocketfish external hard drive not working

2. external drive not working windows 10

3. external hard driver hear a tone but it does not autoplay windows 10