Windows 10: External drive plugged into thunderbolt port won't show up on my Alienware PC

Discus and support External drive plugged into thunderbolt port won't show up on my Alienware PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Tech support, I have formatted my Lacie 2 TB drive which is externally plugged into the back of my Alienware computer and I need to be able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by YvetteT108, Sep 8, 2019.

1. External drive plugged into thunderbolt port won't show up on my Alienware PC

Hi Tech support,

I have formatted my Lacie 2 TB drive which is externally plugged into the back of my Alienware computer and I need to be able to access it, but it

is not showing up. I formatted the drive exfat and it should be good to transfer files back and forth between a Mac and a PC...

Please let me know what to do to make it accessible on the PC.

Thanks,

Marie

:)

YvetteT108, Sep 8, 2019

2. Thunderbolt display & Alienware 17 r5

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand how difficult it is, when the device doesn't work in the way it should and in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Are you connecting the Thunderbolt display for the first time to the Alien ware PC?
    • Are you aware of any changes on the PC, prior to this issue?

In this scenario we would suggest you to refer the below article and check if that helps to fix the issue.

Frequently
    Asked Questions (FAQs) about the Thunderbolt port on a Dell PC

Troubleshooting Ports on your Notebook
    or Desktop Dell PC

If the issue persists, then we would suggest you to get in touch with the

Dell Support
    team.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Sep 8, 2019
  3. Ferdz Amp Win User
    Toshiba External USB drives not showing in Explorer or Disk Management Plug-in

Thank you for the update.

Looks like your system is unable to detect your external hard drive. Let's see if scanning for new hardware will fix the issue. Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Device Manager and press Enter.
    • Under Device Manager, select Action tab > Scan for hardware changes.
    • Wait for your system to install the generic driver for your device and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue still persists, we suggest that you perform the following recommendations below:

• Plug in your external USB drives to other USB device port of your system.
    • Use other USB cables for your external device to connect to your system.

Keep us updated and we will be glad to assist you further.

Ferdz Amp, Sep 8, 2019
  4. External drive plugged into thunderbolt port won't show up on my Alienware PC

External Hard drive won't show up!

Ok, a couple weeks ago my external hard drive won't connect to ANY of the USB ports on the left side of my laptop! I'll connect it, and then it'll make the beeping noise stating that it disconnected (didn't make the sound to show it connected before), then a couple of seconds later it'll make the sound stating it disconnected again. This happens with BOTH USB Ports on my left side, but if I plug it into the port on the right side, it'll work perfectly.

And it's not like the USB ports on the left side don't work. They work with my headset and my mouse, but not my external. I looked on the Disk Management to have a look around, and when I plug the external on the left side, it doesn't even show up stating that there is anything plugged in. Even if I do a refresh on it. *Bang Head :banghead:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Also another thing, why is it that when I have my external plugged in, and I move it, JUST BARELY, it'll disconnect? It's still plugged in and didn't even unplug a little bit, and it'll just disconnect. Are they normally that sensitive?

ericcris10sen, Sep 8, 2019
Thema:

External drive plugged into thunderbolt port won't show up on my Alienware PC

1. External drive plugged into thunderbolt port won't show up on my Alienware PC - Similar Threads - External drive plugged

2. My external drive won't show up on File Explorer Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external drive won't show up on File Explorer Windows 11: Hello,My external drive won't show up on File Explorer.It is being detected via the USB port, and it shows up on disk management. It says: Healthy Primary partition.I assume it's because it hasnt been 'allocated' a drive letter or something? How can I do this? Thanks for your...
  3. My external drive won't show up on File Explorer Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My external drive won't show up on File Explorer Windows 11: Hello,My external drive won't show up on File Explorer.It is being detected via the USB port, and it shows up on disk management. It says: Healthy Primary partition.I assume it's because it hasnt been 'allocated' a drive letter or something? How can I do this? Thanks for your...
  4. External Drive not showing up.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Drive not showing up.: My external drive is not showing up in file explorer or diskmanagement. However it shows in Device Manager/Diskdrives. When I click on the properties "This device is working properly." but on volumes tab nothing shows in disk information....
  5. Waking via keyboard plugged into Thunderbolt 3 Port

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Waking via keyboard plugged into Thunderbolt 3 Port: Hi All! Hi I have a powered CalDigit T3+ Hub plugged into the Thunderbolt port of an Intel NUC9i9QNX with a Thunderbolt cable. When the computer Windows 10 goes into sleep mode, the blue light on the dock goes off, and the keyboard plugged into it is unable to wake the...
  6. External hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive not showing up: I just downloaded windows on a flash drive then plugged it into my pc but when i go to select where i want to download windows nothing shows up. Please help...
  7. Computer won't boot with external drive plugged in.

Computer won't boot with external drive plugged in.: Version 1903 (OS Build 18362. 476) I've got an external drive where I keep many of my private files. I have shortcuts to them on the desktop. No system files are on it. If the drive is plugged in, the computer won't start. It will start only if that drive is unplugged....
  8. Boot drive from my old computer won't show up as external drive

Boot drive from my old computer won't show up as external drive: Windows 10 version 1903 I recently decided to finally upgrade my Windows 7 system to Windows 10. I bought a new SSD, removed my old SSD, and installed Windows 10 on the new one. This way I'd be able to go back to my old system if I forgot to back something up or just didn't...
  9. Thunderbolt display & Alienware 17 r5

Thunderbolt display & Alienware 17 r5: I am having an issue where I am trying to connect a thunderbolt display and when connected it gives me a promt to connect or do not connect. I select connect, but it is not connecting. the display only shows up in attached devices saying its not connected....
  10. External Hard Drive Not Showing UP

External Hard Drive Not Showing UP: Hello, I am using a WD external hard drive to transfer files from one Windows 10 machine to others. The first machine saw the disk fine, and I added all of the data. The next two machines saw the disk fine, and I transferred all of the date. The fourth machine does not...