Windows 10: External drive protection

Discus and support External drive protection in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I wish to protect my external hard drive with a password. Do you have any recommendations / methods that are not too complicated? Can you help please?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by NickDouble1, May 10, 2020.

1. External drive protection

I wish to protect my external hard drive with a password. Do you have any recommendations / methods that are not too complicated? Can you help please?

Kind regards, Willo.

:)

NickDouble1, May 10, 2020

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, May 10, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, May 10, 2020
  4. External drive protection

Gettign error "device is write protected" for External Hard drive in Windows 10

Hello Neil,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

Are you getting the same error when you access the External Hard drive on another computers?

When you see the message "Device is Write Protected", then it indicates that you have limited set of privileges for performing operation on the Hard disk. In simple, you're not allowed to write the drive, apart from reading it. This because the drive is
    write-protected. Suggest you to try with the below steps and check it they help you.

1. Right-click on Start button and select Command Prompt(Admin).

2. Type diskpart and press Enter.

3. Now type list volume and press Enter. Now see the volume number the external drive.

4. Then type select volume #, where # is the number of the drive which is showing "write-protected" error. Example,
    select volume 3.

5. Type attributes disk clear readonly and press Enter.

• Executing the above command line will reset the Hard drive USB's properties by clearing the Read-Only behavior, so that it is no longer read-only.
    6. Type exit and press Enter. Now check if it allows you do access the drive for writing the content.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, May 10, 2020
Thema:

External drive protection

1. External drive protection - Similar Threads - External drive protection

2. How to gain access to write protected external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to gain access to write protected external hard drive: I've tried a few methods such as setting permissions and using the command prompt but can't seem to gain permissions for this drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-gain-access-to-write-protected-external/c4b5f849-4b19-4515-8666-ddab71f4a55e
  3. How to gain access to write protected external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to gain access to write protected external hard drive: I've tried a few methods such as setting permissions and using the command prompt but can't seem to gain permissions for this drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-gain-access-to-write-protected-external/c4b5f849-4b19-4515-8666-ddab71f4a55e
  4. External hard drive is not write protected for sure but my desktop insist that it is

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive is not write protected for sure but my desktop insist that it is: I use a desktop running windows 11 at home. Recently, I tried to copy some files to my external hard drive but I got the error message saying it is write protected. I’ve tried to use different usb ports as well as other external hard drives and usb keys but I got the same...
  5. External hard drive is not write protected for sure but my desktop insist that it is

External hard drive is not write protected for sure but my desktop insist that it is: I use a desktop running windows 11 at home. Recently, I tried to copy some files to my external hard drive but I got the error message saying it is write protected. I’ve tried to use different usb ports as well as other external hard drives and usb keys but I got the same...
  6. External Hard Drive Write-Protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Write-Protected: I am trying to use my external hard drive on my Windows 11 machine, but it says it is write-protected now all of a sudden. I tried some of the fixes online uncheck read-only in properties, regedit, diskpart, sfc scan, & chdisk, but they didn't work. Any USB I plug in is also...
  7. External Hard Drive Write-Protected

External Hard Drive Write-Protected: I am trying to use my external hard drive on my Windows 11 machine, but it says it is write-protected now all of a sudden. I tried some of the fixes online uncheck read-only in properties, regedit, diskpart, sfc scan, & chdisk, but they didn't work. Any USB I plug in is also...
  8. External USB hard drive is write-protected. How can I remove write protection?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External USB hard drive is write-protected. How can I remove write protection?: I have been using a Western Digital My Passport external USB 3.0 hard drive for years as a backup drive. My old computer died and I just replaced it. Now when I plug in the external drive, I cannot write to it in any way, even just renaming a file. This error message is...
  9. Password Protected External Drive Stopped being Recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Password Protected External Drive Stopped being Recognized: I had a password protected drive that worked fine until it didn't anymore. Not an old drive, but yesterday the computer stopped recognizing the drive. USB Controllers shows Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). I've tried uninstalling, and searching for...
  10. Back up Failed. The media is write protected. Internal and external drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back up Failed. The media is write protected. Internal and external drives?: Have not been able to do a back up for about a month now. My internal 1tb D drive is normally used for backups. I keep getting the message 'The media is write protected'. Error code 0x80070013 Today I tried it with an external 500gb drive and got the same error message....