Windows 10: External Drive Show as Local Disk F and the data cannot be reachable

Discus and support External Drive Show as Local Disk F and the data cannot be reachable in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I changed the setting Of my 4tb External Hard disk to 'better performance' under the setting on policies.It was on 'quick removal' then ı changed it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BarışCanEM, Feb 24, 2020.

1. External Drive Show as Local Disk F and the data cannot be reachable

I changed the setting Of my 4tb External Hard disk to 'better performance' under the setting on policies.It was on 'quick removal' then ı changed it to see if it boost up transfer speed a bit but when I restarted my pc it didnt show up as it is before instead it is now called Local Disk F and there is no access to it or files.It says the parameter is incorrect and suggests formatting before I can use it.

Is there any way ı can save the data inside the disk without formatting first ?

:)

BarışCanEM, Feb 24, 2020

2. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you have mentioned that the external hard drive is showing as local disk drive instead of a USB drive, it is because the file format for the external hard drive is same as the internal hard drive and that’s why it is showing
    up as a local disk drive and not a USB drive.

Also, since you are facing issues while changing the drive letter of the drive, for further clarity on the issue and to guide you accordingly, respond to the questions listed below:

1. What is the make and model of the hard drive?
    2. Were you able to save or create a file on the hard drive previously?
    3. What happens when you try to copy and paste the data from the hard drive?
    4. What was the result of check disk performed on the drive?

Since you are receiving the access denied error, I would suggest you to check if the user has appropriate permissions to read/write data on the external hard drive. Refer the article

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows
    , refer the section
    I cannot access, change, save, or delete files and folders.

Note:
    The above article applies to Windows 10 also.

Please get back to us with the above information to assist you further with the issue.

We await your response.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Feb 24, 2020
  3. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

Thank you for the response.

I change the letter of the drive trying to fix the error (the problem existed before that
    ). Also my external drive was working as an external drive and changed in sometime by itself ( ? ).

The responses from the questions that you made are:

1. MaxTor M3 Portable 1TB | Model:HX-M101TCB/GRM
    2. I am still able (like before)
      to save and create files and folders inside the disk.The problem that i mention is that i was not able to create the AutoRun.inf file (access denied)
    3. I can copy and paste data from my drive
    4. Disk perform showed no error (but it showed as a Label name:
      "nakos" but in the same time when i open my Computer and see the drives the label is as Local Disk
    The main problem that i have is that my external disk was appeared to my computer and to other computer too as a external disk (with the Label and the icon that i set). Now there is appeared as a Local Disk and ignore whatever
    label name i enter. I have set up all the folders, sub-folders and HTML projects to work in this disk with the label that was there before and not as a Local Disk, that's why is important to me to return him in the format like before.

Thanks again

NakosKotsanis91, Feb 24, 2020
  4. External Drive Show as Local Disk F and the data cannot be reachable

Help! Data partition not showing under my computer

This is happening on a windows 2000 server. Our second partition of the system, for data is not showing under my computer. Here are the properties of it in disk management:

External Drive Show as Local Disk F and the data cannot be reachable partition.jpg

Now under logical drives its listed as F and shows free space available.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Hybrid_theory, Feb 24, 2020
Thema:

External Drive Show as Local Disk F and the data cannot be reachable

1. External Drive Show as Local Disk F and the data cannot be reachable - Similar Threads - External Drive Show

2. External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...: Hi everyone,I'm facing an ongoing issue with my external SSD, as it consistently skips drive letter E and defaults to drive letter F every time I connect it to my computer. Despite attempting to fix it through Disk Management and changing the drive letter back to E, it only...
  3. External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...: Hi everyone,I'm facing an ongoing issue with my external SSD, as it consistently skips drive letter E and defaults to drive letter F every time I connect it to my computer. Despite attempting to fix it through Disk Management and changing the drive letter back to E, it only...
  4. After reinstalling OS, one of the data drives [local disk F:] became inaccessible, How to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After reinstalling OS, one of the data drives [local disk F:] became inaccessible, How to...: Recently I have done a reinstallation of Windows 10 Home edition Operating System, in my laptop. After reinstallation, one of the data partitions [local disk F:] became inaccessible. I am doing good with other two partitions. I have some necessary data in this F: drive. How...
  5. External hard drive showing as Local Disk G: and cannot access to drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive showing as Local Disk G: and cannot access to drive: Hi, after I transferred files to my 4tb Wd elements drive it fails to play them and then turn to Local drive.Now it shows as Local Drive and I cannot access it by aything.I tried disk managenent and device manager to unistall it it freezes.I tried chkdsk /f /r and it says...
  6. external disk data loss -ESD-USB F:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external disk data loss -ESD-USB F:: trying to download win 10 in my 2TB external disk, I ended up with an... ESD-USB F: with 31.9 GB -- What can I do? Thanks for any help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-disk-data-loss-esd-usb-f/d726e03e-9ccf-4ac5-9e40-184f3b45aec9"
  7. External HDD showing up as Local Disk (F:) and Not Responding

External HDD showing up as Local Disk (F:) and Not Responding: Greetings, I'm in desperate need of help. I bought an WD My Passport HDD about 4 months ago , it seemed to work fine until today , When I connect it to the Laptop it shows up as Local Disk (F:) and the Storage bar is not shown , As shown in the picture. I tried right...
  8. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive: For some reason it changed from USB Drive to Local Disk. Now i cant use a Label Name (like MyDrive). I try to change the drive Letter and still nothing happen. When i plug the USB Driver to an other computer i see it again as a local driver. If i go to Properties -> Label...
  9. Local Disk (F:)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Local Disk (F:): What is this it has a red bar? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-disk-f/d814ec02-4fcc-4c5e-b32b-a4dc8e6db564
  10. local disk f

local disk f: [img] Hi everyone This has just appeared on my computer, and I cannot delete, can anyone please tell me how to get rid of this. Regards 60557