Windows 10: External Drive Size / Free Space Not reported in Explorer

Discus and support External Drive Size / Free Space Not reported in Explorer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My desktop PC has v1909 Build 18363.900. I just noticed using Explorer in tile view that the disk size & free space of Drive G: which is Seagate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Steve C, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Steve C Win User

External Drive Size / Free Space Not reported in Explorer

My desktop PC has v1909 Build 18363.900. I just noticed using Explorer in tile view that the disk size & free space of Drive G: which is Seagate Expansion drive is not reported. The details are there if I right click on the drive. I have another Expansion Drive which is reported when I plug it in. Any ideas why this information doesn't show?

External Drive Size / Free Space Not reported in Explorer [​IMG]

:)

Steve C, Jul 13, 2020

2. Partition Toshiba Canvio1tb external hard drive in Windows 10

Hi Abe,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

• Is it show 32 Gb free space or the whole space as 32 Gb?

• Have you checked the size of the External disk on disk Mangement?

• Have you make any change to the Computer, prior to the issue?
    I would suggest you to perform Check Disk on your External disk and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X on your keyboard.

• Select Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type the below commands.

Cskdsk [drive letter]: /f /r

Reply to us with the status of your issue, we will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jul 13, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jul 13, 2020
  4. External Drive Size / Free Space Not reported in Explorer

unallocated space in G drive (external)

Hi,

It seems that the external drive's disk partition was not fully or properly allocated. You can extend the disk's partition size by following these steps:

• Click Windows logo (Start), then type diskmgmt.msc.
    • Right-click the basic volume you want to extend. This is the external drive's partition that was previously allocated.
    • Select Extend Volume.
    • Follow the instructions on your screen.

Note: Make sure that you are selecting the correct disk or partition that you want to modify to avoid unexpected data loss. Also, it would be best to backup any existing files on your external drive before making any changes.

If you are still having challenges on managing your disk's partition, we suggest that you post your concern on
    TechNet since this particular issue is beyond the scope
    of this forum.

Don't hesitate to provide us some feedback.

Regards.

Meliton Dec, Jul 13, 2020
Thema:

External Drive Size / Free Space Not reported in Explorer

1. External Drive Size / Free Space Not reported in Explorer - Similar Threads - External Drive Size

2. File explorer showing false free space in drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer showing false free space in drive: I have 299gb of disk space available on D drive and the files present on it have size of 187gb including system files but the free space shows just 39.4gb.While opening the properties of drive D, it shows 260 gb used but when I look inside the drive, there is no way it could...
  3. File explorer showing false free space in drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer showing false free space in drive: I have 299gb of disk space available on D drive and the files present on it have size of 187gb including system files but the free space shows just 39.4gb.While opening the properties of drive D, it shows 260 gb used but when I look inside the drive, there is no way it could...
  4. File explorer showing false free space in drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.: I recently bought a Seagate External hard drive. I managed to save 194GB data only. I cannot use my remaining free space in external hard drive. How can I get the available space to work?...
  6. Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.

Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.: I recently bought a Seagate External hard drive. I managed to save 194GB data only. I cannot use my remaining free space in external hard drive. How can I get the available space to work?...
  7. Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space

Size of available shrink space does not equate Free Space: I have an HP Pavilion Notebook with a SAMSUNG 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB 2.5” as Internal Solid State Hard Drive. I am trying to shrink my primary Partition and create 100gb of unallocated space. In the File Explorer it shows that i have 133 GB of free space but when i try to...
  9. Drive 0 Unallocated Space Total size 0.0 Free space 0.0

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drive 0 Unallocated Space Total size 0.0 Free space 0.0: Hello, I have tried multiple methods to resolve this issue. I would request you experts to help me. My machine is Sony Vaio SVF15319SNB with a Intel chipset QM87 According to product description on internet. I am trying to install windows 10 64Bit using a USB...
  10. Disconnect between available free space and total size of scanned drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disconnect between available free space and total size of scanned drives: I just posted another question that got answered to download treesizefree. I did, and it showed me that the heavy storage on my PC was due to Iphone file backups. I removed them But it is still saying that there is only 32GB of free space of 212GB, but my drive is only...