Windows 10: External Drive thumbnails loading very slow

Discus and support External Drive thumbnails loading very slow in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So I have an external drive connected to my main Alienware Laptop via either usb, I do a lot of photo editing and processing but I've found the biggest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mywebguytaylor, Jun 9, 2021.

1. External Drive thumbnails loading very slow

So I have an external drive connected to my main Alienware Laptop via either usb, I do a lot of photo editing and processing but I've found the biggest time waster for me is whenever I browse through my thumbnail files on any of my external drives, they take such a long time load the thumbnails. I can hear my computer working to load each file's thumbnail and I'm just sitting there watching them appear 1 by 1 with hundreds of files. Isn't there a way for the computer to cache these thumbnails and remember it each time I shutdown and load up the computer so in the future when I revisit a folder, all the thumbnails should appear instantly? I would estimate 50% of my time is used up simply during the 'waiting for thumbnails to load' process. It would save me enormous amount of time if the thumbnails could just appear instantly. Any advice? Device name ALIENWARE Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz Installed RAM 64.0 GB (63.8 GB usable) Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 Installed on ‎3/‎29/‎2021 OS build 19042.985 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0

:)

mywebguytaylor, Jun 9, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

Thumbnails load slowly in Explorer

Hi, have you done any research on this? A general search for
    thumbnails load slowly
    suggests e.g.
    How to Speed Up a Windows Folder that Loads Very Slowly

But there are so many factors: how large a file is each image: where are the files located: what is the speed of access to that location: what else is the PC doing at the same time..... (check your task manager).

Another angle:
    When Windows 10 thumbnails seem to be missing or slow to load, try this | PCWorld

Please also feel free to search the forum.

Note: forum rules prohibit thread bumping... thanks.

dalchina, Jun 9, 2021
  3. mbmeadows Win User
    Constant script errors and slow loading pages in 10 internet explorer 11

I have done the steps listed above. They have not helped and I am still getting constant script errors, along with slow loading pages. Are there any other suggestions?

mbmeadows, Jun 9, 2021
  4. External Drive thumbnails loading very slow

Windows 10 - Thumbnail Slow Loading

Hello everyone,

On windows 10 thumbnails are too slow loading. especially on PSD, TIFF, PNG, AI, etc., graphical design files. i tried installing PSC CODEC, Sagethumbs, ARDFY, Etc.,. Tried customized folder option into pictures. cleared cache thumbnails on disk cleanup.
    NOTHING WORKS i want new way to fast thumbnails especially for graphical designing files like PSD.

aravindthavithu, Jun 9, 2021
Thema:

External Drive thumbnails loading very slow

1. External Drive thumbnails loading very slow - Similar Threads - External Drive thumbnails

2. External hard drive slowing down pc and very slow downloads.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive slowing down pc and very slow downloads.: I had an external hard drive that worked great until suddenly whenever it was plugged in my Pc would run very slow and I could not download anything on the external hard drive, so I threw it out and got a new one, but I am having the same problem on the new one. Help me!!!!!...
  3. External Drive thumbnails loading very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Drive thumbnails loading very slow: So I have an external drive connected to my main Alienware Laptop via either usb, I do a lot of photo editing and processing but I've found the biggest time waster for me is whenever I browse through my thumbnail files on any of my external drives, they take such a long time...
  4. External drive takes long time load thumbnails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External drive takes long time load thumbnails: So I have an external drive connected to my main Alienware Laptop via either usb, I do a lot of photo editing and processing but I've found the biggest time waster for me is whenever I browse through my thumbnail files on any of my external drives, they take such a long time...
  5. thumbnails painfully slow to load

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    thumbnails painfully slow to load: Hi, I bought a high powered Lenovo laptop for photo editing thinking I had all my bases covered - only to be tripped up by Windows 10 PAINFULLY slow loading and thus browsing of picture thumbnails. I have sometimes 1000s of photos in files that I need to view thumbnails of on...
  6. SLOW LOADING THUMBNAILS ON GOOGLE DRIVE

in Windows 10 Customization
    SLOW LOADING THUMBNAILS ON GOOGLE DRIVE: I have a very specific need to find a highly experienced IT consultant, with unique experience editing the Windows registry of a Dell Laptop, in order to solve a QUICK ACCESS view problem in the dialog box, when saving an image, etc. 1. RECENT FOLDERS LINK IS NOT INSIDE SAVE...
  7. Loads very Slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Loads very Slow: I have an Asus Laptop X540 B. Just over 1 year old. Yesterday it started functioning erratically. It takes more than hour to load. Once desktop loads , i noticed the system has reset itself. But when i try to open any file/folder/drive it just hangs and stays like that for...
  8. Applying metadata to files on external drives is very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Applying metadata to files on external drives is very slow: I have two external drives connected to my ACER laptop : 1) a USB 3.0 connected 4 TB LaCie, NTFS formatted 2) a network connected 5 TB Seagate Personal Cloud, NTFS formatted I use Windows Explorer, right-click any multimedia file (.mp3, .mp4, .avi, .wmv....), select...
  9. Loading programs is very slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Loading programs is very slow: My laptop is about a year old and it recently started this problem where any program I click to load takes about a minute or so to start. Even clicking the start button takes a while. Once the program finishes loading its usually fine. I've gone through everything I can...
  10. Loading programs is very slow

in Windows 10 Support
    Loading programs is very slow: My laptop is about a year old and it recently started this problem where any program I click to load takes about a minute or so to start. Even clicking the start button takes a while. Once the program finishes loading its usually fine. I've gone through everything I can...