Windows 10: External drive when connected to pc and I change the Letter "A part may not work prperly"...

Discus and support External drive when connected to pc and I change the Letter "A part may not work prperly"... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, In Windows 10 computer when I connect external drive via USB 2 it assign a letter "E". When I want to change "E" to "H" it says "A part may not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ari94, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Ari94 Win User

External drive when connected to pc and I change the Letter "A part may not work prperly"...

Hi,

In Windows 10 computer when I connect external drive via USB 2 it assign a letter "E".

When I want to change "E" to "H" it says

"A part may not work properly" I wonder why?

As some important back up is in external drive I did not proceed and asking question

with hope that someone will guide me.

Thank you

:)

Ari94, Aug 20, 2018

2. WD external drive letter change

Hi @WilliamSlessor!

I'm sorry to hear about the confusion with the external drive. What I would suggest is to go in Disk Management and try to reassign the letters on both drives with a third one, and then go back to the original letters. For instance - change the G:G: drive to
    M:, and then reassign it as G: again.

You can follow the steps described in this KB article:

Support Answers

Hope this helps and let us know how it went.

MightyMiro_WD, Aug 20, 2018
  3. Windows 10 changing USB port drive letters

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    I would like to inform you that the issue might have occurred due to some changes made to your computer.

I suggest you to try changing the drive letter of the drive and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to change the drive letter:

• Press Windows + X keys and click on Disk Management.
    • Right click on the external drive and click on Change Drive letter and paths.
    • Click on Change the button.
    • Under Assign the following Drive letter, select the desired drive letter.
    • Click Ok to save changes.
    Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Aug 20, 2018
  4. External drive when connected to pc and I change the Letter "A part may not work prperly"...

connecting external drive

Check if the drive is assigned a drive letter.

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths

Click Add

Click Assign the following drive letter

Click in the Drive letter list box

Choose a drive letter - try choosing letters near the end of the alphabet

Click OK

Click OK again

If that does not work...

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Disk drives

Right the external drive

Click uninstall

Exit Device Manager, restart then check if its detected.

What is the make and model of the computer?

Are you connecting to a USB 3 or 2.0 port.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 20, 2018
Thema:

External drive when connected to pc and I change the Letter "A part may not work prperly"...

1. External drive when connected to pc and I change the Letter "A part may not work prperly"... - Similar Threads - External drive connected

2. Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.: I'm Using Windows 11. I have a few hard drives that I want to use in an external dock. for storage. I have one that shows up healthy and online in Disk Manager and it shows in Device Manager. No drive letter is assigned and Disk Manager won't let me assign one. It also does...
  3. Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.: I'm Using Windows 11. I have a few hard drives that I want to use in an external dock. for storage. I have one that shows up healthy and online in Disk Manager and it shows in Device Manager. No drive letter is assigned and Disk Manager won't let me assign one. It also does...
  4. Can I change the drive letter for my Windows File History external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I change the drive letter for my Windows File History external drive: Note - I am not asking about changing the drive File History uses. I want to change the drive letter that is assigned to that external hard drive. If I change the drive letter, how to I get File History to continue to use the same drive with its existing file history?...
  5. Can I change the drive letter for my Windows File History external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I change the drive letter for my Windows File History external drive: Note - I am not asking about changing the drive File History uses. I want to change the drive letter that is assigned to that external hard drive. If I change the drive letter, how to I get File History to continue to use the same drive with its existing file history?...
  6. Can I change the drive letter for my Windows File History external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Drive letters changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letters changed: I had to reinstall Windows 10 and after doing so the drive letters changed. What was the C: drive with the OS is now the G: drive. I have two other 300GB hard drives that are pretty old. I would like to replace them with one larger drive but I feel I should first address the...
  8. Tried to change drive letter in disk part - But it just made a duplicate of the drive I...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tried to change drive letter in disk part - But it just made a duplicate of the drive I...: Selected the volume number that the drive was listed as in list disk. >"ASSIGN LETTER=B" (Formerly D drive - Long story short, Windows Backup told me I couldn't save a system image to the drive of my OS boots off it, which it doesn't, and I read that changing the drive...
  9. External HDD drive letters appear briefly when connected but then disappear with errors...

External HDD drive letters appear briefly when connected but then disappear with errors...: Hello all, I'm hoping that someone here can help me with a serious problem. I would very much appreciate any help. It all started with a big Windows update last week. Afterwards the hard drive was no longer recognised as NTFS and was labelled RAW. I couldn't repair the...
  10. Drive letters change when multiple drives plugged in.

Drive letters change when multiple drives plugged in.: My main external backup drive was assigned to drive letter G:. Upon plugging two usb drives in today that drive's letter got changed from G: to H: Why does that happen? Because that drive is used for Macrium daily backups assigned as G: in the backup definition the backup...