Windows 10: External drive won't open to key in password

Discus and support External drive won't open to key in password in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi My external drive is recognised and its status reads as healthy. However when I click to enter the password the password page does not open.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by shaliniwickremesooriya, Dec 12, 2018.

1. External drive won't open to key in password

Hi

My external drive is recognised and its status reads as healthy. However when I click to enter the password the password page does not open.

:)

shaliniwickremesooriya, Dec 12, 2018
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Dec 12, 2018
  3. Windows 10 and External DVD drive

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

I would suggest you to open the device manager and check if the drive shows up in device manager.

Follow the steps given below:

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run command.

2. Type devmgmt.msc and press enter to open device manager.

3. Expand DVD/CD-Rom drives and check if the external DVD drive is listed.

4. If so, right click on it and uninstall it.

5. Restart the computer.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Dec 12, 2018
  4. External drive won't open to key in password

External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

External drive won't open to key in password

1. External drive won't open to key in password - Similar Threads - External drive won't

2. bitlocker encrypted drive not opening with password or recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bitlocker encrypted drive not opening with password or recovery key: Password and recovery key are correct. Do I have any options? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-encrypted-drive-not-opening-with/ce12de0f-e3c9-41f8-a737-1428cc4de9cb
  3. bitlocker encrypted drive not opening with password or recovery key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bitlocker encrypted drive not opening with password or recovery key: Password and recovery key are correct. Do I have any options? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-encrypted-drive-not-opening-with/ce12de0f-e3c9-41f8-a737-1428cc4de9cb
  4. bitlocker encrypted drive not opening with password or recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Cannot open an external drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open an external drive: I was going through my things yesterday and came across a USB to USB external drive but cannot open it it all I get is what is in the picture so any ideas anyone please? I do get a message from 10 telling me to pick an app to open it but just where to start I have no idea....
  6. External Drive won't Open after being Recognised.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Drive won't Open after being Recognised.: My external drive is not being recognised in File Explorer and in Disk Management. The disk gets power from the computer and in the Device Manager the disk can be seen connected....
  7. External Drive won't be Recognised

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Drive won't be Recognised: My external drive is not being recognised in File Explorer and in Disk Management. The disk gets power from the computer and in the Device Manager the disk can be seen connected....
  8. My WD Passport external hard drive won't open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My WD Passport external hard drive won't open: My WD Passport external hard drive won't open. It's listed in device manager and in the properties is listed as "working properly". https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wd-passport-external-hard-drive-wont-open/dac92589-6d55-43ae-a9b0-6e14014b17d8
  9. My WD Passport external hard drive won't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My WD Passport external hard drive won't open: I've tried all of the recommendations posted and none have worked. What else can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wd-passport-external-hard-drive-wont-open/4cb1db83-c269-4d71-8fe2-e7c9e11a1155
  10. BitLocker Key for External Drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Key for External Drive: I just encrypted my external drive with BitLocker, and chose "Save to your cloud domain account" as one of my backups for my Recovery Key. When I log on to my MSFT account, I see the recovery key for my PC (uploaded about a year ago), but not for my external drive. Does it...