Windows 10: External Driver Access

Discus and support External Driver Access in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I try to access one of my external hard drives, I get the message "You don't currently have permission to access this folder". When I click on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cwlong52, May 24, 2020.

1. cwlong52 Win User

External Driver Access

When I try to access one of my external hard drives, I get the message "You don't currently have permission to access this folder". When I click on continue to gain access I get the message "You have been denied permission to access this folder". This is the drive that has all of my back up information on it of programs before installing Windows 10. How can I gain access to this drive? Thanks, Chuck

:)

cwlong52, May 24, 2020

2. Can't Access Either of My External Drives After 14393

Hi Michael,

To better assist you with your concern, I would like to ask if you're getting any error messages when accessing your external drives? If yes, can you provide us with the exact error message?

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Go to Device Manager.
    • Click on USB Mass Storage.
    • Right click on your USB, and then click on Update Driver Software.
    • Once done, check if you can access your external drives.

Regards.

Ruizell Rey, May 24, 2020
  3. No access to external hard disks after last window 10 update

hello Petra

Method 1:

Check whether the external hard disk is detected in Device Manager, right click on it and click on Uninstall the drivers. Plug in the external hard drive again so that Windows automatically installs the drivers. Check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, go to the External hard drive in Windows Explorer, right click on it and select Properties. Click on the Security tab and then click on Edit and click on Add and type Everyone and press enter. Select Everyone from the list and place a
    check mark in Full control. Press apply and ok and check if you are able to access the External hard drive.

Method 2:

If you are still unable to access your hard drive, I suggest you to refer to the steps mentioned in the following link and try to take the ownership and check:

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670/en-us

Pedro Bruguera, May 24, 2020
  4. External Driver Access

External drive

You've mentioned that you were able to try some of the troubleshooting steps that was provided by a Microsoft online agent, we'd like to know if you were able to roll back the said driver as well. If not, kindly follow the steps listed below and check if
    it helps to resolve the issue:

• Press Windows Key + X then select Device Manager from the list.
    • Locate the external driver and right-click to open the Properties option.
    • Go to the Driver tab and click the Roll Back Driver button. Click
      OK.

Note: The Roll Back Driver button is only available if a previous version of the driver was installed. If the current driver for the device is the only one that was ever installed on this computer, then the Roll Back Driver button is not enabled.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Eileen Gal, May 24, 2020
Thema:

External Driver Access

1. External Driver Access - Similar Threads - External Driver Access

2. external drive access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external drive access: I have a U32 Shadow Portable Drive attached to my W10 desktop. I would like to restrict access to this drive for other accounts on the PC. I've tried the method shown here https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8035/how-to-restrict-access-to-drive-in-my-computer-on-windows/ and...
  3. Access to an external harddisk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Access to an external harddisk: I am trying to access my external harddisk. I get the following message: Location is not available D: is not accessible Access is denied https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-to-an-external-harddisk/524318e6-229a-4616-827c-8ad132e5817a
  4. External Camera Driver?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Camera Driver?: Hello, I got an external camera for my laptop for Christmas along with an External Microphone. But I can't get either of them working. They say they do not need Drivers to function but my laptop doesn't seem to like that. Everything I've researched and tried doesn't work and...
  5. Accessing external drive

Accessing external drive: I put an external memory stick into the PC. A window tells me I have to reformat it. Why? Never did before. I click to start reformatting, Another window say reformatting will erase all the memory. Then how the hell do I access the files on it? This is nuts. Anybody got a...
  6. External drive not accessible

External drive not accessible: I have reformatted a drive I used with my Mac to use NTFS only as I intend to use it purely on Windows. My laptop recognises/sees the drive but when I double click to open it it tells me that access is denied. I then reformatted it again via Disk Management, which took...
  7. External Device Access

External Device Access: Hi all. I've been trying to access files from my cameras cfast card through a usb card reader, when I insert the device my computer makes a noise and certainly recognises the device yet I can't access it whatsoever. The device is listed as VLI Product String. Does anyone...
  8. External Hard Drive No Access

External Hard Drive No Access: My external Seagate Backup Plus Drive shows up as E:\ when I plug it in but is not able to be accessed. I could see under right click properties that it was an NTFS drive and the name but zero for used, free, and capacity. I could get in from the command prompt and got one...
  9. No access to external HDD

No access to external HDD: Just over a week ago I posted the below problem of inability to access my external HDD. I had one response from someone who asked me to send a mailshot of my Disk Management. This failed on my first attempt but was successful on the second. Despite sending him/her a...
  10. access to external drives

access to external drives: I am unable to access my CD drive and USB that I plugged in. It brings an error of its not accessible. My laptop is a HP product and is windows 10. Kindly help. Thank you....