Windows 10: External drives: Driver error,or Setup incomplete, but load on restart

Discus and support External drives: Driver error,or Setup incomplete, but load on restart in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi folks. I've got an issue that's been driving me nuts recently. I think it started after the last major Windows 10 update a few months ago. Whenever... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Eusabius, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Eusabius Win User

External drives: Driver error,or Setup incomplete, but load on restart

Hi folks. I've got an issue that's been driving me nuts recently. I think it started after the last major Windows 10 update a few months ago. Whenever I plug in any of my external hard drives, memory sticks or my external DVD writer into any of my 4 USB sockets, they light up for a few seconds and then go off. They don't show up in file managers. They do appear in Bluetooth & Other Devices, where it says either just 'Driver error' or 'Setup incomplete. Connect to the internet'. Needless to say I am already connected to the internet, and attempting to reinstall or delete and reinstall the drivers leads only to 'Windows has determined that the best driver etc. etc.'. The thing is, if I plug the drives in and then restart, or shutdown and restart, they then appear in the file manager as normal and can be used as normal. Obviously, this means that every time I want to use any of my external drives I have to close everything I'm doing and restart, which is a real pain. I don't want to do a complete reinstall of Windows because for some of the programs I have I no longer have the installation disks. Bluetooth and wired mice/keyboards work fine, and also, strangely, my phone and my partner's phone plug in and show up without a problem. Any thoughts?

:)

Eusabius, Aug 25, 2019
  2. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Aug 25, 2019
  3. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Aug 25, 2019
  4. Julie Ram Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Hi twynog,

The issue that you're experiencing with the external hard drive might be due to some missing Windows hardware or software updates. To help you in resolving this, you may follow the steps below:

Method 1: Uninstall and then reconnect the external hard drive - this method resolve issues where the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupt.

• Select Start, type Device Manager in the Search box.
    • Select Device Manager from the returned list.
    • Select Disk Drives from the list of hardware.
    • Press and hold (or right-click) the USB external hard drive with the issue, and select Uninstall.
    • After the hard drive is uninstalled, unplug the USB cable.
    • Wait for 1 minute and then reconnect the USB cable. The driver should automatically load.
    • Check for the USB drive in Windows Explorer.

If method 1 doesn't work the way it should, you may proceed to other steps provided in this
    article.

Do get back to us if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same issue.

Julie Ram, Aug 25, 2019
Thema:

1. External drives: Driver error,or Setup incomplete, but load on restart - Similar Threads - External drives Driver

2. Driver loading error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Driver loading error: My computer was ratted last year and I reinstalled windows and deleted everything. A couple months back i re-installed windows again . everytime I load my PC and login to windows I get a error that says : A driver cannot load on this device Driver:amsdk.sys A security...
  3. Driver loading error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Driver loading error: My computer was ratted last year and I reinstalled windows and deleted everything. A couple months back i re-installed windows again . everytime I load my PC and login to windows I get a error that says : A driver cannot load on this device Driver:amsdk.sys A security...
  4. Fix Setup incomplete because of a metered connection error on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Setup incomplete because of a metered connection error on Windows 10: [ATTACH]Some Windows 10 users are experiencing an error when they try to connect a Bluetooth device, they see “Setup incomplete because of a metered connection“. Because of this, you won’t be able to use your Bluetooth device. In this article, we are going to fix the error....
  5. SETUP INCOMPLETE BECAUSE OF A METERED CONNECTION

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SETUP INCOMPLETE BECAUSE OF A METERED CONNECTION: HELLO, I CANT CONNECT MY PC TO ANY OF MY BLUETOOTH DEVICES IT IS WRITTEN THAT SETUP INCOMPLETE BECAUSE OF A METERED CONNECTION PLEASE HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setup-incomplete-because-of-a-metered-connection/f670654d-e9d0-4793-aece-5331e84c5b63
  6. Windows 10 OOBE fails with error causing incomplete setup

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 OOBE fails with error causing incomplete setup: [ATTACH]If when you start a new Windows 10 computer for the first time and the Windows OOBE (Out-Of-Box Experience) fails to complete with an error […] This article Windows 10 OOBE fails with error causing incomplete setup first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. printer setup incomplete because of a metered connection

printer setup incomplete because of a metered connection: printer setup incomplete because of a metered connection https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-setup-incomplete-because-of-a-metered/ae5cc16c-1f06-48d3-8ab9-1053d4fbfdbb
  8. Drivers aren't loading properly after plugging in external hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Drivers aren't loading properly after plugging in external hard drive: Hello! So recently I bought a device that I can plug the hard drive of my old laptop to a usb converter so that I can get all my files from it. I then decided to shut off my new laptop with the hard drive still plugged in, and once I turned it on it booted up with my old hard...
  9. Drivers aren't loading properly after plugging in external hard drive

Drivers aren't loading properly after plugging in external hard drive: Hello! So recently I bought a device that I can plug the hard drive of my old laptop to a usb converter so that I can get all my files from it. I then decided to shut off my new laptop with the hard drive still plugged in, and once I turned it on it booted up with my old hard...
  10. Load driver error

Load driver error: i keep getting an error message that reads as “ to install the device driver for your drive insert the installation media containing the driver files and then click ok note: the intallation media can be a cd dvd ir usb drive” and i dont know if its because im trying to use...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. setup imcomplete beacuse of a metered connection harddrive

2. external hdd detected but showingsetup incomplete because of metered connection

3. usb flash drive setup incomplete. co ect to the internet

4. setup incomplete because of a metered connection external hard drive,
  5. hard drive setup incomplete due to metered connection,
  6. external hd setup incomplete becuase of metered connection