Windows 10: external drives not available after windows 10 update

Discus and support external drives not available after windows 10 update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; First update uninstalled itself ... disconnected external drives as suggested and update installed ... now the external drives are not available ...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by wl2010M, Nov 6, 2019.

1. wl2010M Win User

external drives not available after windows 10 update

First update uninstalled itself ... disconnected external drives as suggested and update installed ... now the external drives are not available ... please advise ... all I can find are instances for XP installs ... thanks

:)

wl2010M, Nov 6, 2019

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Nov 6, 2019
  3. Can't install update on external hard drive?

Thank you for that information Laura.

Since the Update Assistant is still not offering the option to install updates in external drive, I suggest that you create a bootable media using a USB flash drive and another one where we will install the updates. See

Create Windows 10 installation media
    and follow the steps under "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file)" to learn how.

Afterwards, follow the steps below on how to install updates :

• Connect both the USB flash drive with Windows 10 installation files
      and the other empty USB flash drive.
    • Double-click the Setup.exe file to launch the Windows 10 installation from the USB flash drive.
    • Select the Keep personal files and apps option to update your computer.
    • If you get the "Windows needs more space" option, click the
      Choose another drive
      or attach an external drive with 10GB available link.
    • Click Install
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process as necessary.

We appreciate your patience Laura. Don't hesitate to post back if you need more help.

Israel Arn, Nov 6, 2019
  4. external drives not available after windows 10 update

External hard drive not suppoted after anniversary update windows 10

To isolate the issue, we suggest that you perform the following steps below:

• Connect the external hard drive to the different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Use different external hard drive to connect to the same port and check if same issue happens.

If the same issue happens after using different external hard drive to different ports, try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problem and make sure that any new devices or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly. Here's how:

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.

After that, follow the steps on how to Install and Update drivers
    in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Acelyn Alc, Nov 6, 2019
Thema:

external drives not available after windows 10 update

1. external drives not available after windows 10 update - Similar Threads - external drives available

2. Location not available on E: External Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Location not available on E: External Drive: Scenario 1When my system boots up Windows 10 OS, the first window pops up is as per the screenshot below -I cannot access any files on the entire folder/file structure or C: drive. Even on clicking Ok, it disallows.As soon as I connect my external hard drive, which has the...
  3. Location not available on E: External Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Location not available on E: External Drive: Scenario 1When my system boots up Windows 10 OS, the first window pops up is as per the screenshot below -I cannot access any files on the entire folder/file structure or C: drive. Even on clicking Ok, it disallows.As soon as I connect my external hard drive, which has the...
  4. Location not available on E: External Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Updating Windows 10 with External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updating Windows 10 with External Hard Drive: Hello, I have been getting alerts on my Laptop about me needing to free up space. 32GB I can't really do that so, the computer said I could buy an External Hard Drive. I went and bought myself a 2TB for the update and some game files, etc. I remembered when I downloaded game...
  6. Windows 10 This PC Available Drives not showing my External flash drive

Windows 10 This PC Available Drives not showing my External flash drive: Because my computer is not showing my flash drive as it did on Windows 7, I cannot enable the restore previous versions on it. Right click This PC for Properties, click System Protection - see Protection Settings for Available Drives - there listed is NOT the flash drive as...
  7. External drive lost gb availability

External drive lost gb availability: I recently purchased a Dell 5570-win10. Not sure I like 10 as much as seven but guess I'll get used to it. Anyway, I had a 160gb hp external drive. I stupidly used it as a recovery drive for this new Dell not realizing it would not be available for anything else to be stored...
  8. External DVD drive not working properly after windows 10 update

External DVD drive not working properly after windows 10 update: I have a laptop with external DVD drive. It was working perfectly until I installed the windows 10 updates. Now I can use the DVD drive to install programmes onto my laptop, but whenever I try to play a game from the DVD drive, I get a fatal error warning CD not found. Please...
  9. WINDOWS 10 UPDATE USING AN EXTERNAL DRIVE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WINDOWS 10 UPDATE USING AN EXTERNAL DRIVE: Why does this have to be so complicated? My little computer came with Windows 10, and now I'm being told it is out of date. I don't understand a word of the instructions. In PLAIN ENGLISH please for us silver surfers....
  10. External hard drive crashing after updating to windows 10

External hard drive crashing after updating to windows 10: Previously had windows 7 and all my steam games on my external hard drive. Everything ran fine! I did a fresh install of windows 10 leaving behind nothing on the external drive or my main hard drive, I formatted and reinstalled my games. Now randomly windows will make...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 pro does not read external drive after update