Windows 10: External DVD drive disappears when a disk is installed in Windows 10

Discus and support External DVD drive disappears when a disk is installed in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I insert a disk the DVD drive disappears from my computer screen, the DVD drive starts to spin the disk, but can't seem to find it, then slows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TomWalters2, Oct 1, 2019.

1. External DVD drive disappears when a disk is installed in Windows 10

When I insert a disk the DVD drive disappears from my computer screen, the DVD drive starts to spin the disk, but can't seem to find it, then slows down, and starts all over again. It connects and disconnects over and over and over continuously. How do I solve this problem?

The drive is a BT669 by Mad Giga.

The laptop is an Asus R518UA.

Thank you.

:)

TomWalters2, Oct 1, 2019

2. Windows 10 and External DVD drive

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

I would suggest you to open the device manager and check if the drive shows up in device manager.

Follow the steps given below:

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run command.

2. Type devmgmt.msc and press enter to open device manager.

3. Expand DVD/CD-Rom drives and check if the external DVD drive is listed.

4. If so, right click on it and uninstall it.

5. Restart the computer.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Oct 1, 2019
  3. External DVD drive disappears when a disk is inserted

The dvd drive is recognized in the device manager. The drive shows up in This PC but disappears when a media is in the drive. The driver has been updated to manufacturer supplied. But once the disk is ejected, the dvd drive shows up again. It also happens
    in the disk management: the drive is seen when it is empty and disappears when a disk is in it.

RomanFrago, Oct 1, 2019
  4. External DVD drive disappears when a disk is installed in Windows 10

Setting up an external DVD drive for my Lenovo with windows 10

Hi,

To assist you better, please answer the below:

1. What is the exact make and model of the laptop?

2. Are you referring to DVD drive or DVD player?

3. What is the model number of the external HP DVD player?

4. When you connect the external DVD player, what exactly happen?

In order to be able to ascertain whether a specific hardware is compatible with Windows 10, I would suggest you to refer to the manufacturer's website and check if there are driver support available for Windows 10 for the particular device. If Windows 10
    DVD/CD drivers are available, install it by following the instructions given in the website.

Connect the DVD drive using USB to the laptop and check if the DVD drive is getting detected in Disk Management.

Refer the steps below to open disc management:

1. Press Windows key + X.

2. Click on Disk Management.

3. Click on Actions and click on rescan disks and click on Refresh.

If there is no drive letter assigned, I suggest you right click on the DVD drive and assign a drive letter.

Hope it helps. Revert to us with the results, will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan Babu ER, Oct 1, 2019
Thema:

External DVD drive disappears when a disk is installed in Windows 10

1. External DVD drive disappears when a disk is installed in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - External DVD drive

2. DVD Drive Disappears When Disk Inserted windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD Drive Disappears When Disk Inserted windows 11: DVD Drive Disappears When Disk Inserted windows 11.I/ve tried 3 different computers with Windows 11It works fine on Windows 10Need a fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-drive-disappears-when-disk-inserted-windows-11/5f679b9b-e234-40ed-adef-3e328ffab4bd
  3. DVD Drive Disappears When Disk Inserted windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD Drive Disappears When Disk Inserted windows 11: DVD Drive Disappears When Disk Inserted windows 11.I/ve tried 3 different computers with Windows 11It works fine on Windows 10Need a fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-drive-disappears-when-disk-inserted-windows-11/5f679b9b-e234-40ed-adef-3e328ffab4bd
  4. External USB DVD Drive Disappears

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External USB DVD Drive Disappears: I am running Windows 10. I have an external USB DVD Drive, which when I plug into a USB port, is recognised by File Manager and the USB Eject icon list on the taskbar. When I place a DVD in the drive, the movie comes up and plays perfectly OK. When I eject the DVD, the DVD...
  5. DVD Drive Disappears When Disk Inserted

DVD Drive Disappears When Disk Inserted: Just bought an OON 10.1 Android Tablet with detachable keyboard. Great little machine so far except for one major problem. This device needs to be able to play a DVD Rom program on an external DVD player. The external drive is a Gotega ODD HDD Device plugged into the USB...
  6. Disappearing DVD drive

Disappearing DVD drive: My Dell XPS 8920 (Windows 10) had an Dell OEM DVD writer (Drive E) which stopped working after a year. While the DVD drive was working, I purchased an external Pioneer BRD XD05B USB blu-ray writer (Drive G) to play Blu-ray discs. I replaced the Dell OEM DVD writer with an...
  7. external dvd drive

external dvd drive: can't find my external drive to download softwear on this computer. it is plugged in by usb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-dvd-drive/8881c714-98f4-43a2-82b9-704293bd6ad2
  8. External DVD drive disappears when a disk is inserted

in Windows 10 Customization
    External DVD drive disappears when a disk is inserted: The dvd drive is recognized in the device manager. The drive shows up in This PC but disappears when a media is in the drive. The driver has been updated to manufacturer supplied....
  9. External dvd drive

External dvd drive: I'm trying to connect a cocopa external dvd reader with no success. Any ideas why it's not connecting? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/external-dvd-drive/89b08ee8-6e6d-4287-a820-3526daeb1b49
  10. Disappearing dvd drive

Disappearing dvd drive: When I hook up an internal hard drive in win 10 my DVD drive disappears . Cant find it in explorer . The second hard drive takes the D letter and no DVD rom is shown . When i disconnect the HD the DVD returns as D drive . Any suggestions . SATA connections on everything . 36794