Windows 10: External DVD reader/writer

Discus and support External DVD reader/writer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; After the last windows update, windows does not start any external DVD reader/writer, which always worked. Device manager gives code 19. Rolled back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by HorstMichels, Sep 10, 2018.

1. External DVD reader/writer

After the last windows update, windows does not start any external DVD reader/writer, which always worked. Device manager gives code 19. Rolled back but problem persists. Drives work fine when connected to other desktop, laptop etc.

:)

HorstMichels, Sep 10, 2018

2. External DVD drive with Windows 10

I've been researching external DVD readers/writers and have come across a few comments indicating several readers/writers weren't compatible with Windows 10. I can't determine if this comment is a result of user error or whether or not these devices are
    not compatible with Windows 10. Does Microsoft have a list of compatible devices or any advice on the matter?

Kayleeann21, Sep 10, 2018
  3. Recent Update crashes external DVD Writer

I tried all the suggestions except editing the registry. I was not able to determine which update kept knocking the DVD writer offline.

I ended up doing a clean install of Windows 10 after converting my drive to UEFI. Believing I had my file history on the external drive as a "backup", I then lost ALL my files. (I'll never do that again!)

I left all external devices unplugged while installing Win10, installed all updates, then plugged my external drive, and DVD writer in.

Everything is currently working.

JodiStambough, Sep 10, 2018
  4. External DVD reader/writer

LG 24x External DVD Writer/GE24 does not load

Hi

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to check if the DVD Writer is detected and listed in Device Manager.

Method 1: Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

If the DVD Writer is not listed in the Device Manager, let us run the Hardware and Device troubleshooter.

• Type troubleshooting in the search box on taskbar.
      • Click on Troubleshooting in the search results.
      • Click on Hardware and Sound and select Hardware and Devices and click on
        Next to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: Update DVD-ROM drivers and check.

If the DVD Writer is listed in the Device Manager, lets Update the DVD-ROM driver.

• Press Windows key + R on the Keyboard.

• Type in devmgmt.msc and click on
      Ok

• Select the Graphic driver from the list by extending
      DVD/CD-ROM drivers.

• Right click on the Graphic driver and click on
      Update driver Software.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Sep 10, 2018
Thema:

External DVD reader/writer

1. External DVD reader/writer - Similar Threads - External DVD reader

2. External cd/dvd writer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External cd/dvd writer: I purchased a Verbatim Slimline cd/dvd writer and cannot get it installed on my Dell laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-cddvd-writer/9b9479f9-7f37-419a-b192-df4925cbc8a9
  3. External Lenovo CD Reader-writer voltage question

External Lenovo CD Reader-writer voltage question: I am using 10.0.17763 build. Recently I was given an external Lenovo CD/DVD reader/writer that according to instructions printed on it requires 5v. input. I have a transformer with variable output which allows you to choose your required voltage output. Unfortunately there...
  4. Using BlueRay DVD reader/writer

Using BlueRay DVD reader/writer: I am running Windows 10 (64) on 3 computers (all licensed and activated) I bought and used an LG BlueRay reader/writer on my main computer. I have read and written a number of DVD's on this computer. One day I ejected a DVD and removed the unit from my main computer. I...
  5. External DVD writer

External DVD writer: I have a Samsung external DVD writer model SE-S084 connected on my system and I can't write to a cd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-dvd-writer/0c0230c0-a010-4549-80e3-cf214bd71676
  6. DVD Writer

DVD Writer: I bought DVD+R to burn files to with my DVD Writer and the disks are unusable. What is the proper type DVD Disks to use? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-writer/291ebd36-15de-49be-9aee-7cf30dca0515
  7. portable / external DVD drive / writer?

portable / external DVD drive / writer?: Most of them are ranged from 20 to 30 US dollars on Amazon. Are they practically the same quality build and the only difference is the writing speed /reading speed etc?And there is no critical difference? btw, which brand do you recommend? 119820
  8. DVD Writer

DVD Writer: I recently had to buy a new laptop. It is a very nice Asus but doesn't have the CD drive I had in my old computer. I was sold a DVD Writer. Can I play my music CD's on this Writer?...
  9. Compatible external cd/dvd writer and player

Compatible external cd/dvd writer and player: Is there a compatible external cd/dvd writer/player that supports Windows 10? The only ones I see are supported up to Windows 8. 20991
  10. CD/DVD Writer/BD Reader Not Recognized as Writer By Dell 8100

CD/DVD Writer/BD Reader Not Recognized as Writer By Dell 8100: I have a Dell 8100 XPS and when the hard drive went, I restored from an August backup (using Microsoft's Windows 10 backup) afetr replacing the drive. Unfortunately, I had a problem with the Ethernet adapter so eventually, I reinstalled Windows 10 fresh. The only major...