Windows 10: External DVI-I Monitor via USB-C Adapter stopped working

Discus and support External DVI-I Monitor via USB-C Adapter stopped working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey all, thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can give me in troubleshooting this issue. I've got a Dell XPS 9560, with an old Yamakasi 301... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Hoodlum, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Hoodlum Win User

External DVI-I Monitor via USB-C Adapter stopped working

Hey all, thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can give me in troubleshooting this issue.

I've got a Dell XPS 9560, with an old Yamakasi 301 Sparta IPS panel, connected via a powered USB-C to DisplayPort, and DisplayPort to DVI-I adapter chain. Many different adapter combinations were tried, this was the only one that worked.

For most of the last 2 years, the monitor has worked fine, occasionally not turning on when I resumed Windows, which was simply fixed by unplugging and re-plugging the adapter.

A few months ago, it wouldn't come on at all. Tested on an old PC with direct DVI-I connection, monitor was still working fine. Thinking it was a driver issue, I ended up reinstalling Windows on a new partition. After doing so, and booting into the old Windows install one last time, it started working again. Weird. I disregarded the new installation and carried on using the old one.

Recently, it gave up again, and I ended up reinstalling Windows due to BSOD issues, which were most likely caused by faulty RAM, which I've now replaced.

This time the monitor still didn't work, until I used Snappy Driver Installer, which found a ton of driver updates which Windows Update and Dell Support Assist hadn't found. All good.

During the BSOD debugging process, I was advised to enable Driver Verifier. Upon doing so and rebooting, the monitor immediately stopped working again, and I've not been able to get it to come back on.

Things already investigated:
    - different adapter/cable - no difference
    - tried the monitor on an old PC with direct DVI-I connection - it works
    - used DDU to uninstall and reinstall both Nvidia and Intel graphics drivers to the latest versions from the respective websites - no difference
    - ran Dell Diagnostics - no issues detected (possibly some USB oddity, will explain more below)
    - sfc scannow checks do not indicate any Windows errors
    - memtest and various hard drive scans indicate no errors
    - device manager does not indicate any malfunctioning or unknown devices
    - disconnected every other USB device except the monitor - no difference
    - enabled/disabled Driver Verifier again, just in case - no difference

During the Dell USB diagnostic, I tried unplugging and re-plugging devices. When I unplugged my USB HUB (to which is connected mouse, keyboard, printer) and plugged it back in, an error appeared. The external monitor is currently being detected as a "USB Billboard" - I'm not sure if this is the same as before it stopped working.

External DVI-I Monitor via USB-C Adapter stopped working [​IMG]

Running the diagnostic again, the error has disappeared. No issues shown in device manager.

External DVI-I Monitor via USB-C Adapter stopped working [​IMG]

Some further background to the issue is in the BSOD thread Dell XPS 9560 - Daily BSODs

Out of ideas really at this point - it's evidently some driver issue, which was somehow re-triggered by enabling Driver Verifier (either that or a really massive coincidence). No idea which driver though, and reinstalling the display drivers hasn't helped.

Windows version is 1930 Build 18362.476

Currently using another spare 1080 monitor connected via HDMI, which works fine.

Many thanks for any ideas on how to debug this further

:)

Hoodlum, Nov 23, 2019
  2. btarunr Win User

Startech Announces New USB to VGA and USB to DVI Adapters

StarTech.com, a leading manufacturer of hard-to-find connectivity parts has announced the release of the (SKU: USB2VGAE3) USB to VGA Adapter and the (SKU: USB2DVIE3) USB to DVI Adapter which support high resolutions (1920x1200) and are optimized for web browsing and office application performance.

The new adapters have been added to StarTech.com’s extensive line of USB Video Adapters, which enable users to add dual display or multi-monitor capability to a desktop or laptop computer through USB, eliminating the need to open the computer case in order to install a secondary or specialized (multi-head) video card.

External DVI-I Monitor via USB-C Adapter stopped working 42a_thm.jpg

External DVI-I Monitor via USB-C Adapter stopped working 42b_thm.jpg

“The USB2VGAE3 and USB2DVIE3 are the newest USB 2.0 to VGA and USB to DVI adapters in the StarTech.com lineup” said John Mardinly, Senior Product Manager for StarTech.com. “Our focus for these adapters was to provide USB video adapters that are capable of supporting high resolutions and deliver exceptional performance for web browsing and office applications. The new adapters are easy to install, and do not require users to take apart their system which could void the computer manufacturers’ warranties.”

Features and benefits of the new USB video adapters include:
    • Supports resolutions up to 1920x1200
    • Suitable for both desktop and laptop computers (require USB connection)
    • Powered through host USB connection; no power adapter required
    • Small form factor design ensures maximum portability
    • Simple installation, making it easy to add secondary or multiple monitors to a computer system
    • USB2DVIE3 includes a DVI to VGA adapter, enabling use as either a USB to DVI or USB to VGA adapter
    The USB to VGA (USB2VGAE3) and USB to DVI (USB2DVIE3) video adapters are slated as eventual replacements for two of StarTech.com’s earlier releases from their lineup of USB Video adapters, the USB2VGA and USB2VGA2.

The USB2DVIE3 is available for purchase from leading technology resellers including ebuyer.com, Insight, Amazon, box.co.uk and Dabs.com and is distributed by Ingram Micro, EntaTech and Micro-P. RRP for the USB to VGA Adapter is £69.99 and RRP for the USB to DVI Adapter is £71.99 the UK.

For more information, visit the product pages of USB2VGAE3 and USB2DVIE3.

btarunr, Nov 23, 2019
  3. sedwin97 Win User
    Windows 10 USB-C to HDMI to DVI

Hi,

I have this old monitor at work that doesn't have HDMI. I have a Lenovo Yoga 910 laptop that only has USB-C ports. I tried to connect my USB-C adapter to the HDMI cable which is attached to a DVI adapter. My computer recognizes the other monitor (under display
    settings) but I'm not seeing anything on the monitor. I realize having two adapters is a lot but I was wondering if there was a way to make this work.

I know the pieces work by themselves. I have connected other laptops with HDMI ports to this monitor and I have used the USB-C to HDMI adapter with other monitors before. It is only when putting the three pieces together that I am not seeing any output.
    I'm guessing there needs to be more power. I wasn't sure if there was some way to increase the power here (like in raspberry pi you can change a value to force more power to the HDMI port). Any help would be appreciated.

sedwin97, Nov 23, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

DVI not working on extended monitor with Surface Book docking station

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Make sure the power light for the docking station is on

• Make sure the monitor is getting power

• Make sure the cable is connected properly to the monitor

• Unplug and reconnect the Mini-DVI adapter on the back of your docking station

• Try flipping the connector for the adapter over (turns out some adapters can go in upside-down)

• Take the Surface out of the docking station then put it back in

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Nov 23, 2019
Thema:

1. External DVI-I Monitor via USB-C Adapter stopped working - Similar Threads - External DVI Monitor

2. Connecting laptop to monitor via usb-c won’t work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting laptop to monitor via usb-c won’t work: Good evening,I recently purchased an ASUS M16 2022. Today I attempted to use the USB-c to display port on my monitor, but when do so the monitor just displays ransoms colors. However, when I used my second USB-C, it works. Is there any driver or solution to fix this?...
  3. Connecting laptop to monitor via usb-c won’t work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting laptop to monitor via usb-c won’t work: Good evening,I recently purchased an ASUS M16 2022. Today I attempted to use the USB-c to display port on my monitor, but when do so the monitor just displays ransoms colors. However, when I used my second USB-C, it works. Is there any driver or solution to fix this?...
  4. Dual Monitors via USB C stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Monitors via USB C stopped working: I have been using 2 x HP 25f displays that were connected to my Acer TravelMate X349-G2-M via this USB C to HDMI adaptor https://www.comsol.com.au/Products-by-Category/USB-Type-C-Cables-and-Adapters/COCMHD02 This set up worked fine for about 5 months with no problems......
  5. Dual Monitors via USB C stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Monitors via USB C stopped working: I have been using 2 x HP 25f displays that were connected to my Acer TravelMate X349-G2-M via this USB C to HDMI adaptor https://www.comsol.com.au/Products-by-Category/USB-Type-C-Cables-and-Adapters/COCMHD02 This set up worked fine for about 5 months with no problems......
  6. Second monitor via USB-C hub HDMI stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second monitor via USB-C hub HDMI stopped working: Hi, I have a Dell 7280 and an external monitor also Dell. I have a USB-C hub, which has HDMI port and USB 3.0 ports. I connect the hub to USB-C/thunderbolt port then connect the monitor using HDMI port. Then I can set the PC Win-P to use only second screen only. Each...
  7. No signal on external monitor via DVI/HDMI under Windows 10 only

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No signal on external monitor via DVI/HDMI under Windows 10 only: I have a laptop with an I5-8265U chipset Intel UHD 620 GPU and a Samsung 206BW screen. I have connected the two with a DVI-D screen to HDMI laptop cable. However, I receive a "check cable" message when attempting to duplicate or extend to this display. The laptop...
  8. External DVI-I Monitor via USB-C Adapter stopped working

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    External DVI-I Monitor via USB-C Adapter stopped working: Hey all, thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can give me in troubleshooting this issue. I've got a Dell XPS 9560, with an old Yamakasi 301 Sparta IPS panel, connected via a powered USB-C to DisplayPort, and DisplayPort to DVI-I adapter chain. Many different adapter...
  9. External Graphics Card Via USB-C?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Graphics Card Via USB-C?: Hi, I’m wondering if it’s possbile to connect an external graphics card (eGPU) to my laptop via USB-C. I know that the golden standard for eGPU connections is Thunderbolt 3, but my laptop does not support Thunderbolt 3 connection. However, since Thunderbolt 3 is connected...
  10. USB-to-VGA and USB-to-DVI adapters working not together

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    USB-to-VGA and USB-to-DVI adapters working not together: Hi! I'm using my PC with 3 desktops. 2 desktops are connected to nVidia GeForce 210 by DVI and HDMI. I had connected one desktop by USB-to-VGA adapter by Manhattan - this desktop had max.resolution 1600x1200. I changed display to 24" 1920x1200 display and adapter written...