Windows 10: External eSATA HDD culprit for long boot times (?)

Discus and support External eSATA HDD culprit for long boot times (?) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm desperately trying to improve my boot times given I'm using SSD and when I used Win8.1 I used to have 8 seconds boot time. This is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by gil, Oct 4, 2015.

1. GIL
    gil Win User

External eSATA HDD culprit for long boot times (?)

Hi all,

I'm desperately trying to improve my boot times given I'm using SSD and when I used Win8.1 I used to have 8 seconds boot time.

This is a clean Win10 installation and all drivers are up to date.
    I'm using an external eSATA HDD for backups. It seems that Windows is searching or accessing this HDD quite extensively during boot, just before the lock screen.
    By default the boot time is 43 seconds (either restart or cold boot when fastboot is on or off)
    When disconnecting the external HDD, the boot time is about 20 seconds.. which is far more acceptable.

I know there's a hidden partition of 128MB that windows created on that drive but I don't know why and I can't see this partition on Disk Management tool.

My question is, can anyone help me solve this issue? maybe guide on using a tool to see what's going on with the partitions of the external HDD and possibly delete this 128MB partition in hope to improve boot times.

Thanks!

:)

2. Kondado Win User

Avoid Bitlocker from asking for Recovery Key on boot because of external hard

Hi everyone,

my first question over here, I've used the search but haven't found anything. If anyone could be so kind and tell me: is there any way, that Bitlocker won't ask for a Recovery Key each time the computer boots, because you had an external (eSATA) HDD connected?

My set-up is as follows, I've Windows 10 Pro, three internal HDDs/SSDs and one external 1TB eSATA HDD. If the external harddrive isn't on or off, depending on how it was left the last time Windows was shut down, it asks for the recovery key...

If you need further info I'll gladly provide it.

Kind regards.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Kondado, Oct 4, 2015
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    List of external hard drives compatible with windows 10?

New external HDD's would all be universally compatible with all modern Windows versions .

- The external HDD enclosure needs to have connection options that suit your PC.

If your case has an eSATA port you will want an external HDD that has an option for eSATA connection

as this provides the same speed and an internal HDD.

USB 3 is also preferable to USB 2, which is the slowest option, but an external HDD with USB 3 only will

still run well from a USB 2 port.

- Value per Gigabyte increases with larger capacity.

BossDweeb, Oct 4, 2015
  4. External eSATA HDD culprit for long boot times (?)

I don't really have a ton to add to help you out but I will be watching this thread to see if there is a solution. I had a similar problem. I have an SSD in my desktop and my computer used to take over a minute to boot. Two of my HDD were failing. I disconnected them and now I boot in 10 seconds. I spent many hours scouring the web looking for a solution... could not find one.

In POST, I believe your BIOS is doing a disk check.

ThePringler, Oct 4, 2015
  5. Wel, the easiest solution is to unplug the external drive while booting then plug it in after the machine has booted.

orlbuckeye, Oct 5, 2015
  6. GIL
    gil Win User
    This is how my BIOS is set up to minimize boot seek times. Do you think it's correct?

External eSATA HDD culprit for long boot times (?) [​IMG]

7. bjorn1 Win User
    This is exactly the same problem I'm experiencing
    with e-sata drives and Win 10- First boot with the black screen (what do you call it, anyway?) is without problems, but when Windows start booting, it takes at least 15 minutes to come up! When I shut down the esata drive, Windows immediately will boot. I tried this procedure with two different hdd's with multiple connection options (Toshiba and LaCie) so I'd guess this isn't brand related. Also, I can see the drive(s) in Device Manager but not in This PC nor in Disk Manager. I'm on a rather aged mobo, but I had things working fine in Win 7 - well not quite, but after fiddling around I succeeded ;-) Also, there seems to be a conflict with USB, which sometimes will not load when I try different options during boot up.

bjorn1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

External eSATA HDD culprit for long boot times (?)

1. External eSATA HDD culprit for long boot times (?) - Similar Threads - External eSATA HDD

2. Long boot time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Long boot time: Hi,Windows 10 pro, Why is it that if I reboot after turning off my computer my boot time is a little over a minute, but if I choose re-start it takes 2 or 3 minutes.I'd appreciate your insight....
  3. Long boot time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Long boot time: Hi,Windows 10 pro, Why is it that if I reboot after turning off my computer my boot time is a little over a minute, but if I choose re-start it takes 2 or 3 minutes.I'd appreciate your insight....
  4. Long boot time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External HD & eSata port

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HD & eSata port: Some Windows Update kill my PC ability to see External HD plugged to eSata Port. Happened just in the last week, everything was working last time about a week ago. Pluged the SAME External HD via USB2/3 - all looks good. Another update broke Win10 functionality?!...
  6. external HDD will not boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external HDD will not boot: I have 3- Seagate 8TB external HDD. I was the Windows disk cleaning to recover space. deleting temp files, unused files, etc. I have used this tool before and it is pretty straight forward. the disk cleaning finished I turned the computer off as I normally do. the next day...
  7. Long boot time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Long boot time: Hey guys, how's it going? I've been experiencing huge performance issues when booting Windows on. My laptop used to boot-up in about <15s when it was brand new and it stayed this way until I've updated Windows Build. It came out of factory as ver. 1803, when I've updated it...
  8. Extreme slow boot time since eSATA HDD addition

Extreme slow boot time since eSATA HDD addition: Hi all, My system uses a SSD drive and Fast Boot option in Windows (Hibernate = YES). Also, my BIOS is set to Fast Boot option. Usually, from cold boot it will log in within 8 seconds on average. For a PC restart, it takes about 15~20 seconds to login. Pretty manageable....
  9. Extreme slow boot time since eSATA HDD addition

in Windows 10 Support
    Extreme slow boot time since eSATA HDD addition: Hi all, My system uses a SSD drive and Fast Boot option in Windows (Hibernate = YES). Also, my BIOS is set to Fast Boot option. Usually, from cold boot it will log in within 8 seconds on average. For a PC restart, it takes about 15~20 seconds to login. Pretty manageable....
  10. Disk usage sporadically (For long periods of time) 100%, culprit:

Disk usage sporadically (For long periods of time) 100%, culprit:: Almost always 'System'. How do I fix this? It's infuriating. PC specs available on my profile, kindly ask for any other info - I'll provide as quickly as I can. Thank you in advance 54537