Windows 10: External Flash Drives and HDD's are getting strange names and icons.

Discus and support External Flash Drives and HDD's are getting strange names and icons. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Since the installation of the latest CU (KB4522355), any external hard drive or flash drive is getting a strange icon. Also, instead of being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Miguel Simões_PT, Nov 9, 2019.

1. External Flash Drives and HDD's are getting strange names and icons.

Since the installation of the latest CU (KB4522355), any external hard drive or flash drive is getting a strange icon. Also, instead of being recognized as what they are in "Devices and Printers", they are recognized as "Device". They are also called "Device" on the bottom right corner icon, used to unmount drives. This started affecting USB 3.0 devices only first, but now even 2.0 are affected.
    Here's a pic:

External Flash Drives and HDD's are getting strange names and icons. 7f131553-086f-4802-8bf0-cd3880d16855?upload=true.png

The "Ultra Flair" drive has the right icon, the "Sandisk Ultra 3.0" does not. And as you can see, they are called "Device" both on "Devices and printers" and "Devices" in windows settings. In the past, it showed their names.
    Here is a pic from another user that has the same problem (all of those "Devices" are external hard drives):

External Flash Drives and HDD's are getting strange names and icons. df7edd38-2b03-4f86-92ed-e4c38dc69367?upload=true.png

Removing the update does not solve the problem, but restoring the system to a day previous to its installation, does. But as soon as i install the CU again, the problem comes back.

More people are complaining about this, in some online forums.

:)

Miguel Simões_PT, Nov 9, 2019
  2. Sher Amo Win User

EXTERNAL AND FLASH DRIVE WONT SHOW DRIVE NAMES ON WINDOWS 10

Hi,

By default, Windows will recognize an external hard drive or a flash drive as “Local Disk” if the storage device was not configured and has no label on it. To resolve your concern, we recommend that you may put a label on your storage devices using
    the Disk Management Tool in Computer Management. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Right-click the Start button and select Computer
      Management.
    • Under Storage, select Disk Management.
    • Physical drive letters are shown including the partition, right-click on each drive and select
      Properties.
    • Name your storage device or put a label on it.
    • Click Apply.
    • Use File Explorer to view your external devices or flash drive with a label on it.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Sher Amo, Nov 9, 2019
  3. HDD Icon not same as those previously installed

Same as my other drives. I of course went through the New simple volume, format, letter assigning thing in Disc Management, but there's nothing there that looks different from the other drives. What's even more strange is I made a shortcut of this new drive, and when I deleted it, the Trash Can showed it as the other type icon, even though the shortcut itself showed the gold disc icon. Crazy F#$*ing MS!

The only thing was there was a small window that popped up when I installed it asking if I wanted to use MBR partition, and I selected yes. Don't recall that happening with the other drives. I tried deleting the partition and shutting down and completely unplugging it and going through the install again and the MBR screen didn't show up this time.

The very first time I hooked it up though I used the SATA cable I'd left plugged to my SATA 1 slot on the SATA 3 Marvell controller, and Device Manager actually listed it incorrectly as a SCSI drive. I then shut down and put it on one of the SATA 2 ports. The Marvell SATA 3 controller is a bit strange and not very fast, so I don't use it anymore. Just forgot that cable was hooked to it.

DM lists everything properly now. Only lingering strange thing is the disc icon. Honestly, I'm not even sure which is the default W7 HDD icon. The ones I've been calling the default now that I look at them look like external drive icons, whereas the one with a gold disc looks like an internal HDD icon. I do know though that using the Windows Backup Utility changes it to the gold disc icon.

Frag Maniac, Nov 9, 2019
  4. Remon Ont Win User

External Flash Drives and HDD's are getting strange names and icons.

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Nov 9, 2019
Thema:

External Flash Drives and HDD's are getting strange names and icons.

1. External Flash Drives and HDD's are getting strange names and icons. - Similar Threads - External Flash Drives

2. External Drive strange behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Drive strange behavior: Windows 10 ProVersion 21H164-bit operating system, x64-based processorInstalled Ram 16,oGBThis morning I experienced a less than 2 second power outage while on my PC. There was no shutdown or file loss as my battery backup kept the computer from shutting down. However on of...
  3. External Drive strange behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Drive strange behavior: Windows 10 ProVersion 21H164-bit operating system, x64-based processorInstalled Ram 16,oGBThis morning I experienced a less than 2 second power outage while on my PC. There was no shutdown or file loss as my battery backup kept the computer from shutting down. However on of...
  4. External Drive strange behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Strange USB-Drive Icons

Strange USB-Drive Icons: Hello, I really need some help. Since Yesterday all my USB-Drive Icons look like on this Screenshot [img] But only when i connect to the Internet otherwise they look normal [img] I have this problem on all of my PC's. When I am connected to the Internet for every...
  6. Strange USB-Drive Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange USB-Drive Icons: Hello, I really need some help. Since Yesterday all my USB-Drive Icons look like on this Screenshot [img] But only when i connect to the Internet otherwise they look normal [img] I have this problem on all of my PC's. When I am connected to the Internet for every...
  7. USB External Drives (both flash and HDD's) weird icons and names (Latest CU BUG)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB External Drives (both flash and HDD's) weird icons and names (Latest CU BUG): [ATTACH] Is anyone else here getting strange icons on your usb flash drives/external hdd's? Are your devices being renamed do "Device" on the "Devices and printers" page and the eject icon on the bottom left corner? Here's an example:...
  8. Naming external drives

Naming external drives: I am having problems with naming external drives. I have two. When I tried to rename them G and F, it worked sort of but now the names are (G:)(F:) and (F:)(G:). Because of this many of my shortcuts do not work. When I add the drives to another lap top they are G: and F:...
  9. No access on HDD's and USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Support
    No access on HDD's and USB flash drives: Hello. Because i do not know if there is a specific term for the problem i'm facing with access, to look for possible solutions, i open this thread and forgive me if there is already a thread with the same problem. I do not have access to any of the extra hard disks and...
  10. One drive on external hdd

in Windows 10 Support
    One drive on external hdd: My new computer has a tiny internal hdd so I want to put my one drive on my external hdd. How do I do that? By the way I just ordered the new computer so I do not have it yet. 89186

Users found this page by searching for:

1. strange icons windows 10 drives