Windows 10: External Hard Disk is causing Windows 10 Startup crashes

Discus and support External Hard Disk is causing Windows 10 Startup crashes in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have Dell inspiron with windows 10 version 2004. I have a Toshiba hard disk which is now used as external HDD since I changed to SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by drwunna, Jun 13, 2020.

1. drwunna Win User

External Hard Disk is causing Windows 10 Startup crashes

Hello,

I have Dell inspiron with windows 10 version 2004. I have a Toshiba hard disk which is now used as external HDD since I changed to SSD for better performance. Recently I updated to latest OS, windows 10 version 2004. Now on every windows startup, it's causing crashes see picture below. I also have two other External HDDs which all work fine if connected on startup. I checked for bad sectors, none is found. It's working fine if connected after windows had been started successfully. I've already formatted a partition that used to installed OS on that external HDD. And it didn't cause problem on former windows 10 startup. All drivers software are up-to-date.

Please help me fix it.

External Hard Disk is causing Windows 10 Startup crashes 4b7e9bac-7ae3-4a5e-a970-cff8967bb5bd?upload=true.jpg

:)

drwunna, Jun 13, 2020

2. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jun 13, 2020
  3. Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

http://support.lenovo.com/in/hi/

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Jun 13, 2020
  4. External Hard Disk is causing Windows 10 Startup crashes

external hard disk recognition

external hard disk is listed in device manager but I cannot access the disk etc

IanMacArthur, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

External Hard Disk is causing Windows 10 Startup crashes

1. External Hard Disk is causing Windows 10 Startup crashes - Similar Threads - External Hard Disk

2. External hard disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard disk: Hello everyoneI'm just looking for an advice here if someone could give me a definitive answer to a question that has been bugging me for a while.I've recently bought a new external hard drive, an upgrade for my old one in terms of size and speed, the thing is by chance I've...
  3. External hard disk issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard disk issues: Hello Aklesh Gond, Unfortunately I save the recovery key certificate on external hard drive only, which is encrypted now.Not sure how to decrypt this external hard drive and recover my data.RegardsAtith...
  4. External Hard Drive crashes Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive crashes Windows 10: So, I noticed almost identical issues in a Mentioned Thread that I have encountered with my 2TB Seagate External Hard Drive. It worked amazingly when I first got it, and for about 2 weeks it continued doing well. No clicking or signs of anything wrong. Nothing.However,...
  5. External hard disk not detected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hard disk not detected: Hi, not too sure if this is a windows problem but whenever I connect my external hard disk it gets detected but then I can't see it in the file explorer. The hard disk is new, the laptop's ports are all okay I connected a flash disk and I was able to see that. submitted by...
  6. BitLocker - External Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BitLocker - External Hard Disk: I have Western Digital Hard Disk. It is BitLocker protected. I have Key ID i.e. 7BF91855. Is there anyway I can retrieve my bitlocker recovery key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-external-hard-disk/ec9c56aa-15d6-42f9-aff0-f88af87a5b1c
  7. Recording to external hard disk?

Recording to external hard disk?: I will do a 24 hour stream soon and I will get an external hard drive because I want to record the stream. Can I record the stream directly to an external hard drive from Streamlabs OBS? Aufnahme auf Externe Festplatte?
  8. My external Hard Drive is causing windows explorer to crash

My external Hard Drive is causing windows explorer to crash: I need help When I tried to open my external hard drive in the windows explorer, it crashes. Also, the loading in windows explorer takes forever when my external hard drive is plugged in. I different ways to format it but the windows explorer always crushes....
  9. External Hard Drive Crashing Windows 10

External Hard Drive Crashing Windows 10: I am using a WD Elements 3TB hardrive with my Windows 10 PC. Usually, I would plug my external HDD in and it would function normally. However, all of a sudden it is now not working. When plugged in, it shows as Local Disk J: where it would normally show as WD Elements...
  10. external hard disk

external hard disk: external hard disk is not displaying n even not located also https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-disk/62353490-2070-486b-a356-a179ff281d28