Windows 10: External Hard disk suddenly stopped showing in explorer

Discus and support External Hard disk suddenly stopped showing in explorer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I have a 1TB WD My Passport Ultra external hard disk and it was reading and writing fine until i tried to use that hard disk as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by samuob, Jan 25, 2017.

1. samuob Win User

External Hard disk suddenly stopped showing in explorer

Hi everyone,

I have a 1TB WD My Passport Ultra external hard disk and it was reading and writing fine until i tried to use that hard disk as a virtual drive for fresh installing Windows 10 in my laptop. I have downloaded Media Creation Tool to create bootable installation media for my hard disk by downloading ISO file. After that I did not install that version and then when i checked my 1 TB hard disk was showing only few GB (if i remember less than 10 GB of space). When i checked in disk management total space split into 2 and i deleted one which is the less than 10 GB one i mentioned before . Now External HDD shows in Device Manager as proper device name and I'm even able to "safely remove USB drive" using the windows utility.

Now the situation is I can see the hard disk in disk management, safely remove USB drive and also in the WD utility software ( but it shows not writable). I cannot see in My Computer and neither read or write is disabled.

I tried couple of things myself by going to disk management.

I went to format and tried changing the file system to NTFS and also exFAT. but both time same result..... Please help me with that.

External Hard disk suddenly stopped showing in explorer [​IMG]

:)

samuob, Jan 25, 2017

2. downloading movies from external hard drive

Connect the External hard disk

Turn on the external hard disk

Browse to the external hard disk - Start > File Explorer > This PC > open the external hard disk

Select the movie

Click Copy

Click Start > File Explorer

Open Videos

Click Paste

Andre Da Costa, Jan 25, 2017
  3. Windows cans access Harddisk

I have an external seagate 1Tb hardisk. Suddenly it has stopped working on my windows pc. The system detects the hard disk but hangs while attempting to open it whereas it is working perfectly fine in my Mac.

chetanrawat1, Jan 25, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums!

To see the drive in File Explorer it needs to have a drive letter assigned to it. Your screenshot of disk management shows that it doesn't have one yet. In disk management, right-click on your 'Disk 1 New volume' and select 'Change Drive Letter and Paths...' to add one.

5. samuob Win User
    Thank you for the reply.. and i tried this and the problem is solved now... Thank you so much.

samuob, Jan 29, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Glad to have helped, @samuob

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External Hard disk suddenly stopped showing in explorer - Similar Threads - External Hard disk

2. My external hard drive isnt showing in file explorer but is showing in disk management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My external hard drive isnt showing in file explorer but is showing in disk management: I'm not sure what to do as ive plugged it into multiple different usb ports https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-external-hard-drive-isnt-showing-in-file/d81bde63-e907-4d6a-9d90-ac03525678f5
  3. My external hard drive isnt showing in file explorer but is showing in disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external hard drive isnt showing in file explorer but is showing in disk management: I'm not sure what to do as ive plugged it into multiple different usb ports https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-external-hard-drive-isnt-showing-in-file/d81bde63-e907-4d6a-9d90-ac03525678f5
  4. My external hard drive isnt showing in file explorer but is showing in disk management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External hard disk is not shown in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard disk is not shown in File Explorer: I recently exchanged my laptop with a new hp pavillion laptop. So that I am using the hard disk from old laptop as an external storage. I didn't cleared any of the datas and also the windows installation files were also there. The hard disk was working fine for 2-3 times of...
  6. External hard disk is not shown in File Explorer

External hard disk is not shown in File Explorer: I recently exchanged my laptop with a new hp pavillion laptop. So that I am using the hard disk from old laptop as an external storage. I didn't cleared any of the datas and also the windows installation files were also there. The hard disk was working fine for 2-3 times of...
  7. External hard drive is not showing in File Explorer and not even in Disk Management

External hard drive is not showing in File Explorer and not even in Disk Management: [Windows 10 laptop, fully up to date]I bought a new Seagate Expansion 2 TB hard disk yesterday.I used it and copied 200 GB data on it. Which copied successfully. Then I copied some more data but during that I lifted my laptop to place it somewhere else but I forgot that my...
  8. External hard drive is not showing in File Explorer and not even in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive is not showing in File Explorer and not even in Disk Management: [Windows 10 laptop, fully up to date]I bought a new Seagate Expansion 2 TB hard disk yesterday.I used it and copied 200 GB data on it. Which copied successfully. Then I copied some more data but during that I lifted my laptop to place it somewhere else but I forgot that my...
  9. External hard drive is not showing in File Explorer and not even in Disk Management

10. External Hard disk not showing up

External Hard disk not showing up: I've 4tb seagate backup plus hard disk which has 2 partitions out of which one partition with 2tb is bitlocker protected. I've initiated removal of encryption of that 2 tb hard disk but it stuck at 46% and after that disk is ejected automatically. Now I'm not able to see...