Windows 10: External hard disk won't initialize, showing size as 0.00kb and fatal device hardware error

Discus and support External hard disk won't initialize, showing size as 0.00kb and fatal device hardware error in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My hard disk on my laptop wasn't being recognized, so i pulled it out of my laptop(lenovo legion y730) and connected it to another laptop (Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Michael-Ikupa, Jul 23, 2019.

1. External hard disk won't initialize, showing size as 0.00kb and fatal device hardware error

My hard disk on my laptop wasn't being recognized, so i pulled it out of my laptop(lenovo legion y730) and connected it to another laptop (Microsoft Surface Book). It wasn't responding so i had to clean it and create partition using the cmd diskpart commands. After doing that it worked.

So I was trying to recover my deleted files from my hard drive some days back using ReclaiMe Pro. It worked for a while but after ejecting the hard drive and back in, it either didn't read or took a very long time to read and the reclaime pro kept freezing when it was trying to recognize it for recovery. So i thought of cleaning the hard drive again and creating a partition, because i thought something might had gone wrong along the way.

When i tried the diskpart commands again, my console froze for about an hour without any response when i typed "clean" after selecting the disk of course. I didn't do the "clean all" command so it wasn't meant to take that long. Eventually, i pulled out the hard drive and when i connected it back in, it showed me Disk 1 Unknown Not initialized(as in the image attached), and also showed me the file size as 0kb in the command prompt console when i typed "list disk"

When i tried initializing with the disk management app or with diskpart in cmd, i get the "the request failed due to a fatal device hardware error" error and when i tried with a windows 7 computer it gave me the I/O device error.

I'm sad my files are gone but right now i just want my hard drive to work. It's just 4 months old. It's a Seagate Barracuda Pro 1tb and the hard drive reader i used is a WD element hard drive reader. Please help.
    External hard disk won't initialize, showing size as 0.00kb and fatal device hardware error d0fa81c9-dab1-402c-b46f-630162265e61?upload=true.jpg

:)

Michael-Ikupa, Jul 23, 2019
  2. seejp Win User

external hard drive showing up in device management but not disk management

Hi,

I recently tried to use a brand new Seagate 2TB External HD, but it is not showing up. It initially showed up, but after I tried reformatting it to exFAT32, it disappeared from the disk management list.

I then tried:

• refreshing the disk management list,
    • inserting into a different USB port,
    • re-starting my computer, and
    • uninstalling the device from device manager/letting it refresh,

I still can't see it. There is no yellow error in the USB controller list.

I'm on Windows 10.

Intel i5-3317U @ 1.7GHz

Any suggestions? Thanks!

seejp, Jul 23, 2019
  3. disk not initialized in Disk Management. Device Not Ready.

I have a internal 3.5" HDD WD Black 2 TB and try to hook it up in the PC but it doesnt not appear anymore in My Computer. It was working few weeks ago. When opening Disk Management it says the disk is not initialized and it didnt state how many GB available on the hard disk (unallocated). Disk Management tried to initialized the hard disk and it pops out the following errors:
    1. Virtual Disk Manager: Incorrect Function
    and
    2. Virtual Disk Manager: The device is not ready.

I have also tried using a powered USB cable and also connected in directly to the MoBo via SATA but the problem still persist.

I also ran disk part and it shows Disk 3 and Disk 4 as both online but both having size of 0 B

Below is the screen shot of Disk Management. When i right click on the HDD, there are four functions: Initialize Disk, Offline, Properties and Help however the the Initialize Disk function is greyed out.

External hard disk won't initialize, showing size as 0.00kb and fatal device hardware error [​IMG]

I have Partition Wizard 9.1 and the attached picture below is the screenshot of the main GUI. It shows bad disk on the particular hard disk

External hard disk won't initialize, showing size as 0.00kb and fatal device hardware error [​IMG]

I tried running Partition Recovery Wizard on the mentioned HDD and it shows a partition of only 512 Bytes but none of my files are visible (no preview)

I just need to retrieve the files in the Hard disk as it contains important files and pictures that havent been backed up. Any help and suggestions are welcomed! Thanks

nabilishes, Jul 23, 2019
  4. Flava0ne Win User

External hard disk won't initialize, showing size as 0.00kb and fatal device hardware error

Fatal Error

I've been trying to format my system but right after it finishes formatting I get a Fatal Error during the Windows installation process. That Fatal Error is a Data Error (cyclic redundancy check). I know that it's because of my hard drives, but how do I fix this issue? I have 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA II Hard Drives in RAID 0. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. *Smile External hard disk won't initialize, showing size as 0.00kb and fatal device hardware error :)

Flava0ne, Jul 23, 2019
Thema:

External hard disk won't initialize, showing size as 0.00kb and fatal device hardware error

1. External hard disk won't initialize, showing size as 0.00kb and fatal device hardware error - Similar Threads - External hard disk

2. Initialize disk failed due to a fatal device hardware error disk unknown not initiaized.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Initialize disk failed due to a fatal device hardware error disk unknown not initiaized.: I am trying to fix a WD Elements 3TB portable hard drive that belongs to my sister it has worked fine until recently but will no longer come up on her MacBook Pro or iMac. I connected it to my HP laptop and clicked This PC but it does not show up in the devices and drives...
  3. Initialize disk failed due to a fatal device hardware error disk unknown not initiaized.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Initialize disk failed due to a fatal device hardware error disk unknown not initiaized.: I am trying to fix a WD Elements 3TB portable hard drive that belongs to my sister it has worked fine until recently but will no longer come up on her MacBook Pro or iMac. I connected it to my HP laptop and clicked This PC but it does not show up in the devices and drives...
  4. Initialize disk failed due to a fatal device hardware error disk unknown not initiaized.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. can't initialized external harddisk The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't initialized external harddisk The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error: Hello i have a problem with my external harddisk WD My Passport 25E2 USB. long time ago my laptop can detect this external hardisk. but for some reason i miss click on something or i change something that i cant remember, this mistake make me can't initialized my external...
  6. can't initialized external harddisk The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't initialized external harddisk The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error: Hello i have a problem with my external harddisk WD My Passport 25E2 USB. long time ago my laptop can detect this external hardisk. but for some reason i miss click on something or i change something that i cant remember, this mistake make me can't initialized my external...
  7. can't initialized external harddisk The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error

8. The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error - External HD

The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error - External HD: Hi, So I did some research and still I cannot fix this problem. Early this morning I was transferring my files from my laptop to my external because my laptop is getting full already and accidentally plugged out the external while transferring files. Now my external hard...
  9. unknown, Not initialize, unallocated external hard disk want to initialize

unknown, Not initialize, unallocated external hard disk want to initialize: I wanted to initialize unknown, unallocated,not initialize external hard disk, but when I go to disk manager and try to initialize the message pop up "Virtual disk manager access denied". Secondly, drive do not have any letter, and I CAN'T to assign letter to drive in...
  10. Cant intialize disk. fatal device hardware error

Cant intialize disk. fatal device hardware error: [img] what does this mean 60680

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unknown disk 0 kb

2. fix unknown not initialized unallocated cyclic redundancy check data error

3. data error cyclic redundancy check hard drive show 0.00kb

4. external hard drive not initialised 0.00kb error solution