Windows 10: External Hard Drive Backup Problem

Discus and support External Hard Drive Backup Problem in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I accidentally ejected my Western Digital "My Passport" backup. I unplugged from the USB port and plugged in again. My Passport now appears in Devices... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Judesman, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Judesman Win User

External Hard Drive Backup Problem

I accidentally ejected my Western Digital "My Passport" backup. I unplugged from the USB port and plugged in again. My Passport now appears in Devices again. However when I go to Settings/Update/Backup the option to "Add a Drive" has vanished and when I click on More Options/See Advanced Settings the options to select the frequency of backup along with how long backups should be retained and the facility to select files to be backed up has vanished as well. I have never used The My Passport software relying on Win 10. I am assuming this is something to do with ejecting the hardware but I need to know how to restore the advanced options and Add a Device. Help please. Win Version 20H2

:)

Judesman, Feb 20, 2021
  2. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Feb 20, 2021
  3. Smittychat., Feb 20, 2021
  4. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

1. External Hard Drive Backup Problem - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. External hard drive causing problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External hard drive causing problems: Hi, I am using 500GB Seagate Expansion external drive, with external power cable. When I connect the HD to my laptop, it shows in the file explorer that the external hd has local disk, but it has no info about the storage space left on it like the other drives in computer...
  3. Why is External Hard Drive filled to the brim with backups?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is External Hard Drive filled to the brim with backups?: I have a 2TB exernal hard drive, and I'm trying to figure out why it is filled to the brim. The biggest space-user appears to be a folder that is storing backups of my desktop computer. This big folder is named the same thing as my computer, and has four sub-folders that...
  4. Windows backup to external hard drive doesn't recognize external drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows backup to external hard drive doesn't recognize external drive.: Need to rebuild my OS, but I'd llike to do a full backup before I proceed. But the built in Windows 10 backup doesn't recognize my Seagate Desktop Drive. Google searches only brought up windows forums saying to check your drivers, although it works fine in explorer. Are...
  5. Is it possible to use windows backup utility for External Hard drive backup to External...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it possible to use windows backup utility for External Hard drive backup to External...: I want to backup Photos/Videos which are in various folders in GB large files from older external hard drive to new external hard drive. I was told better use Windows Backup. Is it safe to backup larger files? or using drag n drop method will be good? As I have never used...
  6. backup to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    backup to external hard drive: The backup to external hard drive will not perform. All kinds of errors and it says it did not backup. What? Am I so stupid that I cannot tell it what drive to back up to? It wants to choose for me and then does not like it's choice. Where are the real settings so I can...
  7. External hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive problem: I have 2TB seaget hard disk (HD) . As soon as I attach my hard disk to surface go it shows 100% performance in task manager with 0 reading and writing speed. No antivirus is working as I start scanning it, it stays at 0% for long time until it detaches itself. Even the...
  8. External hard drive problem

External hard drive problem: My Lenovo laptop has Windows 10. I was using a Sony 1 TB external hard drive to store files. Couldn't transfer any more files after it was half full, showing error 0x8007045D. So I saved all my external hard disc files and formatted it. Maybe I made a mistake when I...
  9. Photos and external hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos and external hard drive problem: Hello, I have an external hard drive full of photos. I am hoping to link these photos to the Windows 10 Photos app without moving them to the laptop's internal hard drive. I want them to stay on the external drive and, furthermore, want any new photos added (from my phone,...
  10. External hard drive problem

External hard drive problem: I got an USB cable to hook up an internal hard drive to my laptop. It will not see the drive. I am trying to use it so I can retrieve the data and also use it to put my one drive stuff on it. What can I do to troubleshoot this problem? 85400