Windows 10: External Hard Drive Broken

Discus and support External Hard Drive Broken in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; My external hard drive broke very suddenly, things work when it isn't plugged in, but when plugged in file explorer only stays on 'working on it' all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by IaanCA, Jun 27, 2022.

1. IaanCA Win User

External Hard Drive Broken

My external hard drive broke very suddenly, things work when it isn't plugged in, but when plugged in file explorer only stays on 'working on it' all of the downloads to it have disappeared and don't show up anymore also when I open my computer it wont start until it is unplugged, when plugged in things don't start when clicked on, I am unable to shut down or restart the computer with it plugged in. I have no clue what has happened to my hard drive, as previously stated it suddenly stopped working.

:)

IaanCA, Jun 27, 2022
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jun 27, 2022
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jun 27, 2022
  4. External Hard Drive Broken

external hard drive

Hi Chrpee,

If you can't find external hard drive on Disk management than the next step is using the diskpart via command line, please follow the steps below:-

On the keyboard hit ((Windows logo key + R key)) than type ((CMD))

Now the windows command line will appear, the next steps is to type ((diskpart))

After that type ((list disk)) to show you the list of hard disks with partitions

If you found your external hard drive one of the list than you need to type ((select disk number)), note: the number is a disk number

Once you selected the hard disk or partitions than type ((clean))

than type ((create partition primary))

than type ((select partition 1))

than type ((active))

than type ((format fs=ntfs quick))

than type ((assign))

last type ((exit))

Check if the external hard drive appeared, if not please see the link below for more info and let me know if you need any assist

https://uk.pcmag.com/dvd-burners/120624/what-to...

Abdirahman Issa, Jun 27, 2022
Thema:

External Hard Drive Broken

1. External Hard Drive Broken - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. External Hard Drive Broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Broken: My external hard drive broke very suddenly, things work when it isn't plugged in, but when plugged in file explorer only stays on 'working on it' all of the downloads to it have disappeared and don't show up anymore also when I open my computer it wont start until it is...
  3. External Hard Drive Broken

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Broken: My external hard drive broke very suddenly, things work when it isn't plugged in, but when plugged in file explorer only stays on 'working on it' all of the downloads to it have disappeared and don't show up anymore also when I open my computer it wont start until it is...
  4. External hard drive broken/corrupted?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hard drive broken/corrupted?: [ATTACH] External hard drive shows up as local disk. When I click on it, the drive gets stuck on loading and makes my computer slow down. Crashes if I click anywhere on file explorer. I can't even turn on my computer when the external hard drive is plugged in. When it's...
  5. external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external hard drive: What external hard drive do you recommend for back-up on Dell Inspiron 3671. I do not want to save to the cloud. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/c23fb5c0-2b97-457d-81ca-3a824c7e6f1a
  6. External hard drive

External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb
  7. external hard drive

external hard drive: Why is windows not recognizing my external hard drive, its fn 2019 this s should be plug and play your os is garbage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/8a51c6c8-175f-4d84-b6e7-84ab2697752f
  8. external hard drives

external hard drives: Earlier this week windows did an update and since then it is failing to recognise some of my external hard drive, also windows keeps crashing and re-booting, everything was working fine until update...
  9. External hard drive

External hard drive: How can I open the contents of my exteral G-drive USB on my windows 10 HP laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/6d746bbd-2b6d-42d5-9112-955e1ed8bcb5
  10. external hard drives

external hard drives: I have two external hard drives I used on two different computers. On both computers I backed up all information onto the external hard drives before installing windows 10 on both computers. I was running windows 7 on both computers before the installation. On both computers...