Windows 10: external hard drive cant be detected

Discus and support external hard drive cant be detected in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; when i plug in my hard drive, it doesn't show up in file explorer and disk management but only in device manager. when i restart my computer with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Angus So, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Angus So Win User

external hard drive cant be detected

when i plug in my hard drive, it doesn't show up in file explorer and disk management but only in device manager. when i restart my computer with the hard drive plugged in, i get a blue screen. is it a problem with the driver or windows and how do i fix this?

:)

Angus So, Jan 4, 2021
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jan 4, 2021
  3. SVLingam Win User
    My Seagate external hard drive is not detected when plugged in to USB port of my laptop using windows 10?

Thanks for your response.

I have tried all the steps provided, however in vain. The external hard drive is not identified at all in any of the the USB ports when connected. The USB ports identify other external Flash drives and devices. However this drive is detected in another laptop
    using Windows 7 OS. Please advise further.

Regards

SVLingam, Jan 4, 2021
  4. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jan 4, 2021
Thema:

1. external hard drive cant be detected - Similar Threads - external hard drive

2. cant find my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant find my external hard drive: cant find my external hard drive my usb port are not reading anything except my usb mouse and all drivers are up to date https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find-my-external-hard-drive/5d65fbed-7a01-4f18-9b38-c89579ed7d1f
  3. cant find my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant find my external hard drive: cant find my external hard drive my usb port are not reading anything except my usb mouse and all drivers are up to date https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find-my-external-hard-drive/5d65fbed-7a01-4f18-9b38-c89579ed7d1f
  4. External Hard Drive Stopped Being Detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Stopped Being Detected: Hi,Yesterday one of my hard drives stopped being detected. Restarting the PC didn't fix it. This is all the info I've gathered so far about the issue: Not an issue with the USB port that the drive is normally plugged into. I've plugged it into other ports - nothing. I've...
  5. External Hard Drive Stopped Being Detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Stopped Being Detected: Hi,Yesterday one of my hard drives stopped being detected. Restarting the PC didn't fix it. This is all the info I've gathered so far about the issue: Not an issue with the USB port that the drive is normally plugged into. I've plugged it into other ports - nothing. I've...
  6. Microsoft Store is not detecting my External Hard Drive.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store is not detecting my External Hard Drive.: So far I tried the wsreset.exe in the "run" tab and the I am only seeing my C and D drive. So far I tried the wsreset.exe in the "run" tab and the Get-AppXPackage *...
  7. My external hard drive is being detected but also not.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My external hard drive is being detected but also not.: So I’m trying to use an external hard drive and when I go into my file manager nothing shows up for it. I went into my settings to check if it was detecting a usb device and it was. submitted by /u/nicknugget2007 [link] [comments]...
  8. cant install updates to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cant install updates to external hard drive: cant install windows update to external drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-install-updates-to-external-hard-drive/fa9aa461-3774-4b8a-8776-a0a3f5459814
  9. Unable to detect external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to detect external hard drive: I have been attempting to download files from my external hard drive on my surface but cannot seem to find it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-detect-external-hard-drive/80f9a17b-73ac-4cc6-8d42-74714afeb773
  10. Toshiba external hard drive not detectible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Toshiba external hard drive not detectible: I have a Toshiba DWC250 5TB external drive formatted ReFS that I cannot detect in either Disk Management or by using DiskPart/List Disk. Cabling and power are sound. The unit is not user serviceable because the case is not designed to be opened. I use it in a storage pool on...