Windows 10: External Hard Drive ceased to work post update

Discus and support External Hard Drive ceased to work post update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My Update History says: "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903" My Western Digital (3 TB) is now inaccessible post windows 10 version 1903... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JWilliams_87, Oct 20, 2019.

1. External Hard Drive ceased to work post update

My Update History says: "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903"

My Western Digital (3 TB) is now inaccessible post windows 10 version 1903 update. I'm receiving the following error: "The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable."

I tried the following;

-Updated the WD drivers (did not work)

-Uninstalling drivers and reinstalling(did not work)

-Running "CHKDSK /F (+DRIVE)"
    -Receive following error: "The type of the file system is NTFS. Unable to determine volume version and
    state. CHKDSK aborted."(did not work).

-EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard

-I can see the data but this software cost money to recover the "lost data"

-iSkysoft Data Recovery

-I can see the data but this software cost money to recover the "lost data"

Is there a solution here that will fix the drive for free? Or am I stuck having to pay to recover my "lost data".

:)

JWilliams_87, Oct 20, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Oct 20, 2019
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Oct 20, 2019
  4. External Hard Drive ceased to work post update

Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

http://support.lenovo.com/in/hi/

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Oct 20, 2019
Thema:

External Hard Drive ceased to work post update

1. External Hard Drive ceased to work post update - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive not working: I've been messing around with my external hard drive because I tried to put it in my xbox one s and I didn't really need it in there, i mostly need it for my laptop. I formatted the hard drive on the xbox and now i've put it back into my laptop, the noise comes on when its...
  3. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external hard drive not working: I've been messing around with my external hard drive because I tried to put it in my xbox one s and I didn't really need it in there, i mostly need it for my laptop. I formatted the hard drive on the xbox and now i've put it back into my laptop, the noise comes on when its...
  4. External hard drive not working on PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive not working on PC: I had this external hard drive for a while and it worked fine. But then it just stopped detecting and showing up even in disk management. When I plug it in a laptop it shows up fine, even in windows explorer and everything is in order. It even shows up in my TV. But when I...
  5. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive not working: I have a 5TB seagate external hard drive, I damaged the pcb usb port and got a replacement and everything works just fine. I'm trying to set up my external storage drive. I plugged it in, noise comes on that it is plugged into the computer, the enclosure power light is on and...
  6. external hard drive not working

external hard drive not working: I have a 5TB seagate external hard drive, I damaged the pcb usb port and got a replacement and everything works just fine. I'm trying to set up my external storage drive. I plugged it in, noise comes on that it is plugged into the computer, the enclosure power light is on and...
  7. external hard disk drive is not working

external hard disk drive is not working: I have a Lenovo e470 laptop with windows 10 pro 1909 version OS. It is an office laptop hence it has certain security locks and administrative set ups. Now the issue is...I have a Seagate 1TB HDD which I have been using on this laptop for the last 4+ years. Suddenly since...
  8. Seagate External Hard Drive not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate External Hard Drive not working: I have been trying for several months to understand why my external drive is not working, there are no drive lights flashing although it is humming. I have checked it all out in Device Manager, etc and it recorded as healthy and running correctly. In frustration I have...
  9. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    external hard drive not working: my external hard drive is not working and idk how to fix it, it is detected it just doesn't do anything... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-not-working/65f9db49-d585-48c4-b39c-5f14565207ca
  10. External Hard Drive stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive stopped working: I have windows 10 and my external hard drive suddenly stopped appearing on My Computer. It does appear on the device manager. I tried to update the drivers and uninstall the Drive and nothing works....