Windows 10: external hard drive connected by usb

Discus and support external hard drive connected by usb in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; How do I get windows file explorer to recognize a 500 giga bite hard drive connected by USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RogerMakepeace, Sep 20, 2021.

1. external hard drive connected by usb

How do I get windows file explorer to recognize a 500 giga bite hard drive connected by USB

:)

RogerMakepeace, Sep 20, 2021
  2. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Sep 20, 2021
  3. Zaki_j Win User
    Toshiba external hard drive not recognized

Hi Philip,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the external hard drive is not recognized by the PC. I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.
    It would be great if you can answer these questions to assist you in a better way.

• Did you try connecting the Hardrive to different USB Port?
    • Does the Hardrive get detected if you try connecting it to a different PC?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer recently?

I suggest you refer and follow the steps mentioned in the KB article and check if that resolves the issueError:
    “USB Device not recognized” when you try to access a USB external hard drive

Note: Ignore method 2 & 5 from the above article.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Zaki

Zaki_j, Sep 20, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

external hard drive connected by usb

Bipra external USB Hard Drive no longer connects

Open Device Manager, click 'View > Show hidden devices'. Find your external drive in the list under 'Disk drives'. Right-click on it and select 'Uninstall device'. Now try connecting it again.

If it still fails, try another USB to USB cable (if you have one), the original may be faulty.

Thema:

external hard drive connected by usb

1. external hard drive connected by usb - Similar Threads - external hard drive

2. USB external drive not connecting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB external drive not connecting: My PC running Windows 10.0.19043 has stopped recognising aexternal hard disc connected via USB. I've been using this hard disc for about three years and recently it has disappeared from Windows Explorer. I've tested the USB ports using a memory stick and they are working....
  3. USB external drive not connecting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB external drive not connecting: My PC running Windows 10.0.19043 has stopped recognising aexternal hard disc connected via USB. I've been using this hard disc for about three years and recently it has disappeared from Windows Explorer. I've tested the USB ports using a memory stick and they are working....
  4. USB external drive not connecting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External USB hard drive not showing

External USB hard drive not showing: Hello, I got a laptop, which I bought only last month and I decided to plug my external hard drive in. Everything was going fine for a while, until a couple of day later when my laptop refused to recognise my USB drive. I spent hours updating the BIOS, updating windows,...
  6. External hard drive connected by USB port

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive connected by USB port: I have this external hard drive that has been designated as F and also a removable flash drive as E. Both use USB ports and have been working. Now the computer sees neither after rebooting twice. Tried to switch the ports and drives also. Any suggestions?...
  7. Connecting External hard drive

Connecting External hard drive: How do I connect an external hard drive, with data files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-external-hard-drive/b1670bab-3009-4da3-b712-006026fefcfe
  8. Connecting a Segate Back-up + external hard drive USB

Connecting a Segate Back-up + external hard drive USB: when I connect the device to a usb port I get the error "unknown usb device (driver error)" I have tried to resolve the issue in device manager by installing the device and then scanning for hardware changes. This did not work. I checked Segates web site for a driver update...
  9. external usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external usb hard drive: Can i install windows 10 on an external USB hard drive? If so, how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-drive/9631ecc3-3373-4174-8b01-818623bd5c4f
  10. Bipra external USB Hard Drive no longer connects

Bipra external USB Hard Drive no longer connects: My BIPRA external USB Hard Drive has stopped connecting. I use it to provide ample extra storage for my 2-in-1 tablet PC, mainly for backup purposes, which it did very well until recently. Now it either does not connect at all, or if it does it is not good enough to enable...